Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of developing an application for the iPhone and am hoping to get a bit of feedback on how successful it is likely to be before i invest too much time and money in it (hope this isn't against site rules).

As a guitarist who does a lot of travelling, i have spent many nights in hotel rooms wishing i could find someone to have a jam with instead of being stuck playing alone.
The only positive in this is that when you do find someone to jam with you really appreciate it (i recently had a jam with a bollywood actor on a beach in Goa which was very cool!)

The app that i'm developing would stop anyone having this problem again as it uses the iPhones GPS to locate people around you who are up for a bit of a session and shows you where they are using Google Maps. There are already a couple of similar apps for dating and just general social networking.

You will be able to search based not just on your current location but also on future locations so that you can set up jams in advance. You can also filter search results based on ability, influences and whether you just want to play for fun or are looking to start a band.

What i need to find out before going any further is a) would you use something like this? b) Would you be willing to pay for it? c) how much would you pay for it?

Any other feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Hartley's Jam FTW.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
That sounds like a great idea, I think the only major flaw will be finding enough people who are willing to go for it. A lot of people don't like the idea of meeting random strangers, not to mention paedophiles could use it to prey on younger people.

If you could implement a way of getting past that it'd be awesome.
RULE BRITANNIA
That sounds really cool, the only problem I can see is getting it widely enough publicised that enough people use it, although UG is a good place to start.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Hartley's Jam FTW.

I sput onto my screen after seeing that
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
That sounds like a great idea, I think the only major flaw will be finding enough people who are willing to go for it. A lot of people don't like the idea of meeting random strangers, not to mention paedophiles could use it to prey on younger people.

If you could implement a way of getting past that it'd be awesome.

Thanks for your reply.

Obviously security will be an issue for some people and once users leave the app and enter the real world there's not a lot i can do, but that's the reality of internet dating sites as well. However, I think risks can be limited in some ways such as having a feedback section where you can comment on previous jam partners and a user rating can be built up, similar to ebay. I think a strict over 18's policy would also be advisable.
That sounds really cool, the only problem I can see is getting it widely enough publicised that enough people use it, although UG is a good place to start.

Hey,

Getting it off the ground is going to be a problem, which is why i'm here trying to figure out whether it will work before i put any more money into it. If i do go ahead i'll be looking to get a bit of coverage in a couple of magazines, paid for if necessary but hopefully as an endorsement. And as you say, places like UG are a good way of getting a bit of word of mouth happening.
Quote by nico151
Thanks for your reply.

Obviously security will be an issue for some people and once users leave the app and enter the real world there's not a lot i can do, but that's the reality of internet dating sites as well. However, I think risks can be limited in some ways such as having a feedback section where you can comment on previous jam partners and a user rating can be built up, similar to ebay. I think a strict over 18's policy would also be advisable.

Aye, that's a great idea. The shakiest part will be the start - trying to find people who will jam with each other. The main difficulties will be age groups, genres preferred etc.

What I'd advise is getting a group of people to beta test it fo a while and take feedback from them and work on that.

Built in profiles is a must - display your age, genres covered, what gear you have, what level you'd consider yourself to be at (beginner, amateur, expert etc.) and what times you're available etc.

Good luck
RULE BRITANNIA
Aye, that's a great idea. The shakiest part will be the start - trying to find people who will jam with each other. The main difficulties will be age groups, genres preferred etc.

I think that in the first instance i would probably be offering it as a free app, just to try and build up a base of users. Unfortunately this would mean using advertising to make money. Hopefully once it took off i could remove the ads but charge a small fee for downloads.

Thanks again for your input.
I recommend finding people in person to try it first rather than just advertising and hoping to pick people up. they may require a small fee, but ask your friends etc. to test it, I'm sure they'll help you out.
RULE BRITANNIA