Hey everyone, I have been playing for about 3 months now and I have a lot of trouble with strumming. To start off, when I have to play chords that require me to hit the middle strings (like that 5th 4th and 3rd string for example). When I get those kind of chords I can NEVER strum them without hitting more strings which make it sound terrible. The other strumming problem I have is with strumming single notes without it sounding choppy (if that makes sense). For instance the chorus from all these things I hate by bullet for my valentine.

D|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
F|----------888888-------666666---------------------------------|
C|-66-6-6--------44-4-4-----------2-2-22\1-1-11/2-2-22/4-4-44-|
G|-66-6-6--------44-4-4-----------2-2-22\1-1-11/2-2-22/4-4-44-|
C|-66-6-6--------44-4-4-----------2-2-22\1-1-11/2-2-22/4-4-44-|

The single notes after the chords really cause me trouble because it sounds really uneven and choppy when I play them.

Please suggest some exercise or technique to help me.

P.S. Sorry if its hard to understand, explained it best I could.
Last edited by A7X3DG at Jul 31, 2009,
practice slowly with a metronome and make clarity your first priority

if you have the metronome really slow but you still can't play it cleanly then step down the metronome even more until you can, then practice at that tempo until you can do it without looking consistently and cleanly, then click up the metronome one step. repeat until it's as fast as you want it. it might take a while to notice an improvement when your metronome is ticking as slow as miss south carolina but trust me it works

and for the chords, mute the string above the chord while strumming the chord. it's the same shape between the first two like sets so you don't have to move your fingers - just shift your entire hand down 2 frets
Quote by pillow.top

if you have the metronome really slow but you still can't play it cleanly then step down the metronome even more until you can, then practice at that tempo until you can do it without looking consistently and cleanly, then click up the metronome one step. repeat until it's as fast as you want it. it might take a while to notice an improvement when your metronome is ticking as slow as miss south carolina but trust me it works.

and for the chords, mute the string above the chord while strumming the chord. it's the same shape between the first two like sets so you don't have to move your fingers - just shift your entire hand down 2 frets

Yep that about all you can do.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
BFMV shouldnt be where youre starting at, 3 months isnt enough time, those single notes are tremolo picked if im not mistaken. Even if youre not a fan, start with classic stuff or even classical, i started with blues personally. you should get the basics down before you jump into stuff like this.
Sounds like you might need practice with muting. There's lessons on that from Freepower
I hate my sig
Quote by pillow.top

if you have the metronome really slow but you still can't play it cleanly then step down the metronome even more until you can, then practice at that tempo until you can do it without looking consistently and cleanly, then click up the metronome one step. repeat until it's as fast as you want it. it might take a while to notice an improvement when your metronome is ticking as slow as miss south carolina but trust me it works

The problem about muting the string for me is it eventually becomes uncomfortable on my hand. Or I begin to press the muting finger down to hard. But I'll work on it, thanks!
do you alternate pick them?

if yes, then continue to pratice at slow speed
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by A7X3DG
The problem about muting the string for me is it eventually becomes uncomfortable on my hand

haha the problem with picking up guitar is that it eventually becomes uncomfortable on your hand. unless it's uncomfortable because you're twisting your fingers/wrist/arm into a really unnatural position, then nothing's wrong. just practice slowly
I would suggest Downloading Tux Guitar, then using it to slow down the songs, it helps alot, however it doesn't sound "real". You could also do the same thing with audacity, and slow it down there, but you don't have the notes in front of you.

I suggest learning a few easier songs, like blink-182, Green Day, Nirvana, and stuff, but that song is decently easy, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem learning that, it's a really cool song to play too :P