My economy of motion is quite good even though i've never specifically targeted it - but it can be better.

Now this is the thing:

Will doing this for 5-10 mins a day and then playing like a normally do have an effect?

Or do i have to do the 'very very slow' exercises all the time?

Does it work if you only do it for 5-10 mins and then play normally the rest of the time? Will i see a small difference eventually?
No

You have to do it for EVERYTHING you play and practice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
No i know i obviously have to make my movements as small as possible but surely after a while of doing this your regular playing will get more economical?

Surely everyone with excellent economy of motion doesn't play EVERYTHING at 25 bpm?

What i mean is the exercise Freepower shows on his youtube.
Basically my movements are small but sometimes my pinky sticks out uncontrollably.

Now if i do the exercise say for a few months will i notice i'll be able to stop my pinky flying out?
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by Ikonoklast
No i know i obviously have to make my movements as small as possible but surely after a while of doing this your regular playing will get more economical?

Surely everyone with excellent economy of motion doesn't play EVERYTHING at 25 bpm?

What i mean is the exercise Freepower shows on his youtube.
Basically my movements are small but sometimes my pinky sticks out uncontrollably.

Now if i do the exercise say for a few months will i notice i'll be able to stop my pinky flying out?

To do something correctly and economically every time, you need to practice slowly from scratch. You can't expect ten minutes of practice to override years (or how ever long you've been playing) of technique, especially since you'll be following that ten minutes up with the same old technique. If you want to really change it, slow it down and practice like that. After a few weeks, it will probably just become second nature like everything else in your playing, but you have to target the problem and eliminate it.

I'm not sure where I heard this, but it applies here. When practicing something, it supposedly takes like 10 repetitions of doing something right to eliminate one repitition with a mistake. I'd think the same would apply here. I.e., if you practice for ten minutes with your pinky under control, you'd just be digging your old habits in deeper with the following practice with a wild pinky.

EDIT:
@ the two previous posters:

Economy of motion is making your movements as economical as possible. If you play a note, you pick as effeciently as possible by making a short, concise pickstroke rather than a wide one. Moving your fingers on your fretting hand only however far they need to be moved, keeping them close to the fretboard, etc. Basically making as little as work as possible for yourself so you can be faster and cleaner.
Last edited by timeconsumer09 at Jul 31, 2009,
Okay well i just didn't want to waste my time doing it if it wasn't going to work.

I'll give it a go, i'll probably end up posting back in a month or two once i see if it's helped.

Cheers!