Im wondering how its figured out how one electric guitar is better than another. I have an £80 one and after playing on a more expensive one (about £200), I dont really see much difference at all between them. Surely when you have your amplifier plugged in it doesnt matter what type of guitar your playing with much at all?
in playing ability none.

in comfort, all.

in tone, TONS.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Yes it's a huge difference. I got burnt out on playing guitar until I got a few good higher end models.
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'd like to add on a related question:
Are tube amps the best for letting your guitar's tone shine through?
Be excellent
Quote by Rocketship
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'd like to add on a related question:
Are tube amps the best for letting your guitar's tone shine through?
In my opinion yes.

And to stay on topic: It makes a ****ing huge difference. Although, a top of the line guitar still won't sound very good out of a ****ty amp.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
It does matter but a really good amp can make a shitty guitar sound at least decent
let me enlighten you, they type of guitar matters because there all built differently. an $100 is built like crap compared to a $500 guitar, in playability and stock hardware. My squire, it sounds great since I overhauled it, but no matter how hard I try I cant do tapping on it because its not really built with a good enogh quality. The price of the guitar does matter too, the more expensive it is the better materails its going to be made out of, which slightly affects tone, the more expensive it is the more the manafacture takes the time to make it playable perfect. The only thing I dont agree with is that if the guitar is over $2000 then your basicly paying for a name, theres not much difference between a $2000 les paul and a $6000 one, except the name.

The amp affects the way a guitar sounds just as much as the pickups of the guitar do. If you play a professional guitar through a crappy 15g frontman, it will sound just as bad as a stock squire played through the same amp. If you play the same guitar through, say a peavey 6505, you will be blown away at the difference in sound. So price and manafacture does make a difference. But if your looking for a certian sound, go with the type of pickup and not so much the guitar, because the pickup affects your sound the most. And pick the guitar based on playablilty and feel, not just looks. Hope that helps.
i smell troll
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Different guitars can also have different features too, like locking tuners to keep it in tune more, or different types of tremolos, or different pickup setups, things like that. Humbuckers are definitely different in sound from single coils. And yes, there are different neck shapes, for hand comfort, and neck attachment types, and nicer guitars have much better sustain, which is important to have.
When using a good amp, yes. A Gibson Les Paul sounds completely different from a Fender Telecaster when both are played through, say, a VOX AC30.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
I smell uninformed.

.....i smell cheese burgers

i think there's a difference
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by ethan_hanus
The only thing I dont agree with is that if the guitar is over $2000 then your basicly paying for a name, theres not much difference between a $2000 les paul and a $6000 one, except the name.

There is a huge difference, maybe not worth $4000 but that's for the owner to decide.

A custom shop les pauls is way better than a standard... Don't even try and argue that.

Although if I was spending over $2000 I would go custom handmade...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Well I have a bad amp and a bad guitar at the moment. Its been worrying me lately that I arent playing with my amp plugged in enough and that im not getting used to how the amp responds to how i play if you get me.

Ive been wondering whether my technique is bad at times or whether it is simply the fact i have a bad amp and guitar.
well when i first started playing i was playing a $170 generic tele through a 15w crate. it sounded like ***t. now i have a $600 feder strat playing through a 60w behrenger V-tone. the difference is HUGE. but if you want my opinion though the fender i have makes all the difference for me because it has way better sustain, the vintage niosless single coil pickups have great tone and good response, and my neck is perfectly comfortable and its wider (which is good for my taste).the only thing i dont like about it is the floating tremelo system. it puts me out of tune very quickly with heavy use. as far as my amp goes, yeah it is much better that the 15w crate but really its just loud. the only thing about my amp that really makes it sing is my 20 band EQ.
[[////////:_Race in///_o)))

(((o_\\\Race: Out_:\\\\\\\\]]

= = = Forming Future Foundtions = =
^ Song in Profile.=