I am very confused about music at the moment. I dont know if I should committ to guitar or do something else because I have to decide soon. I am either going to major in music or literature in college and I have no idea what I should do. I love music with all my heart and I love writing. I need some honest opinions on this subject because I do not want to waste my life on something that I might not want to do in years to come. If anyone has some advice it would really help me out. I have been playing the guitar for more than a year now and I am also turning 18 in 4 months so yeah. And I dont know how to show anybody my skills on here so if you want to know that than you would have to explain it to me. But I love music and guitar its I just have doubts sometimes when I look at all the famous guitarists and than I compare myself to them and I want to give up because I feel like I could never do anything that they have. Well advice is welcome here.
<mike>
If you really love music then thats what you should major in. When you compare yourself to other guitarist it should make you want to practice to become better. It should inspire you to play til your fingers bleed, Think of it that way.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone SG
Yamaha F335
Squire Strat
Marshall MG 30
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1
Danelectro Daddy-O
Rocktron Banshee
Dunlop 10-Band EQ
music is not easy and very few guitarists/musicians ever 'make it'. Even those that do are not always psychologically stable, many are heavy drugs users and many more suffer from depression and other conditions. Being a musician is one of the most difficult career paths you can choose and inevitably those that are sucessful at it are very highly strung, which can manifest itself as an abrasive personailty.

I would love to spend my life hopping between recording studios and making great music, but for me the pressure is more than i could handle. If you think you can handle it, it'l be an unpredictable roller coaster ride that could land you up anywhere, if that's what you want go for it. If you want some stability, a regular income, a nice house outside the city with a reliable car keep going at your studies and do a regular job.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
You've only been playing guitar a year, you won't have the required ability for a performance based course yet (assuming you want to do performing). So unless you are really good at composition or interested in musicology then I'd reccomend you go for english.

Or do music and english combined.
Quote by griffRG7321
You've only been playing guitar a year, you won't have the required ability for a performance based course yet (assuming you want to do performing). So unless you are really good at composition or interested in musicology then I'd reccomend you go for english.

Or do music and english combined.

^ +1

I would do the english degree, but keep playing guitar for fun. Having the english degree won't stop you from a music career if you end up going that direction. At this point you'll be greatly disadvantaged by your lack of experience, and would be lucky to even get in a reputable music program.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 31, 2009,