Im probably gonna get flamed, but anyway here it goes...

Why distortion pedals exist? I mean, if there are amps with distortion included, why did the distortion pedals appear?

Dont take this personally, its just a simple question that has been bugging me for a long time...
coming from the guy with a spider III. i play reggae rock. which means i play the clean reggae strokes, then distortion to solo. then back again. youtube the expendables sacrifice.
Quote by Le_Bunny
LE shoop? It must be rad. And yes, I see potential.

P.S. nobody google 'man train'.

A distortion pedal is for people with amps that do not have distortion/have bad distortion and want distortion with their amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
A distortion pedal is for people with amps that do not have distortion/have bad distortion and want distortion with their amp.

this and WTF is τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Raijouta

+1

And for variety.. Example I cant really get British tones out of my 6505+ so im stuck if I want to play something revolving around that genre. But with a british voiced distortion pedal I can plug her in and jam away. Also some pedals can add sustain or girth to there tone.

Theres quite a good bit of use's for them which is why there so popular.
Ask Hendrix, or just reaserch it
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
pedals let u change on the fly and make it so u dont have to stop playing so u can hit a button with your hand
You can find that answer by asking yourself...Why did you buy a distortion pedal?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
this and WTF is τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ??

tle trp bpstleplssd?
Quote by Raijouta

This and for versatility of different distorted tones.

Well yea, pretty much what IP said.
You can use distortion pedals to get different tones, more brutal distortion, to boost solos, to switch to distortion if your amp has no channel switching, ...
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Distortion pedals usually have a different texture then amp distortion.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Hunterlevi
pedals let u change on the fly and make it so u dont have to stop playing so u can hit a button with your hand

Quote by Hunterlevi

So does a footpedal for channel switching. So does turning your neck volume way down and maxing your bridge volume.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
The point is if you have an amp with crappy/no distortion like I do, you can now have distortion. And amps with built in distortion, you would have to walk up to the amp and flip a switch, or turn a knob or something. During gigs, that'd be really annoying. With a pedal, just step on it. That's all.
Quote by DisasterMatt
And amps with built in distortion, you would have to walk up to the amp and flip a switch, or turn a knob or something. During gigs, that'd be really annoying. With a pedal, just step on it. That's all.

No you wouldn't.

There's a number of ways you can get around this. Reading comprehension is a valuable skill.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Pretty much all the above hit the nail on the head.

There isn't a good reason the avg. player should have a tubescreamer if they have a Hot Rod Deluxe, as they both do the same job in the distortion by amping the signal and distorting the tubes naturally (like cranking the volume on a tube amp would on the clean channel) then there are 'clip' distortions which clip at different rates and have different EQs and exactitudes with the circuits.

I mean someone using something like a Crate, a Tubescreamer, a Big Muff, and a hi-gain pedal for four kinds of disto can be fairly common to players with money and want to be very versatile. Distortion is probably the most widely variated guitar related item, as there are 50+ very common and high quality pedals I'm sure, and yet I'd struggle to name 20 guitar shapes and 20 models of good tube amps.
Quote by manhangi
Pretty much all the above hit the nail on the head.

There isn't a good reason the avg. player should have a tubescreamer if they have a Hot Rod Deluxe, as they both do the same job in the distortion by amping the signal and distorting the tubes naturally (like cranking the volume on a tube amp would on the clean channel) then there are 'clip' distortions which clip at different rates and have different EQs and exactitudes with the circuits.
No they don't do the same thing, a tube screamer adds it's own clipping to your signal path, turning it up beyond unity volume will push the front end of your amp but will do nothing to the power stage like cranking the amp's volume up will.

An overdrive pedal or clean boost is not a substitute for cranking a tube amp, they do two completely different things.
lol, this is hilarious. all these answers are from the perspective of what people use them for today. here is a great quote from another website:

Thor Christensen suggests that electric guitars were sold from the late 1930s. Musicians noticed electrical malfunctions, and the sounds they made - and some musicians decided to make use of such sounds. In 1948, Muddy Waters in Chicago found a buzz coming out of his guitar while he was recording what became his blues classic, I Can't Be Satisfied. By 1951, at Sun Studios in Memphis, guitarist Willie Kizart dropped his amp and busted a speaker cone. The result was an "unruly hum" as heard on Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston and the Delta Cats - which track is considered by some rock historians to be the first rock 'n' roll track. In 1956, a half-broken guitar amp buzzed on a hit by Johnny Burnette, Train Kept A-Rollin'. The idea occurred to musicians - why not deliberately damage an amplifier and see what happens? The 1960s saw a race to produce new noises - basically, feedback - and The Beatles used a feedback whine to begin their 1964 hit, I Feel Fine. The legend exists that when one of the early tracks from The Who was sent from London to New York as a first Who master tape ever heard there, it was sent back to Lonodn by New York, where studio techs had complained of the distortion on the tape and thought something was wrong, or maybe, someone was playing a trick!

Hendrix started using feedback more in the late 1960s. Later, as Eric Clapton has observed, feedback and variations on it could be used to induce a more mystical sort of sound - as when a guitar might start to sound like a sitar from India. So arose what were called "electronic fuzz boxes".

pretty much, a long time ago, people found that when the amp signal 'clips' it produces favorable effect. ever since then people have been moding the amps, making new designs, coming up with new trinkets all with the intent of chasing the supreme distortion tone. so why are there distortion pedals? it's not a clean cut answer, the answer is more like individual's quest for tone except instead of 'an individual' it's 'everyone'.

here's another link that gives even more insight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_%28music%29
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 31, 2009,