Page 1 of 2
Hey gamers/techies of the pit, I've got an aluminum macbook 2.0 ghz, and I'm going to be going on a trip in a while, and i wanted to stick Doom 3 on it for the car ride. I've installed it and it's reasonably playable, the problem is that it's very laggy at almost all times, except when in small rooms. the mac has 2 gb of ram and is pretty much upgraded as far as it can go, does anyone know what i can do to get the frame rate up a bit? most other games runs ok.
I've tried turning shadows off, running it on it's lowest settings, etc, but nothing helps.

I know this should be in the game thread, but it's less about the game, more about system settings.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Hey gamers/techies of the pit, I've got an aluminum macbook 2.0 ghz, and I'm going to be going on a trip in a while, and i wanted to stick Doom 3 on it for the car ride. I've installed it and it's reasonably playable, the problem is that it's very laggy at almost all times, except when in small rooms. the mac has 2 gb of ram and is pretty much upgraded as far as it can go, does anyone know what i can do to get the frame rate up a bit? most other games runs ok.
I've tried turning shadows off, running it on it's lowest settings, etc, but nothing helps.

I know this should be in the game thread, but it's less about the game, more about system settings.

Turn all of the settings on low for the game itself.

Macbooks have different settings for performance/battery life, eh?

Set that to whichever seems the most performance enhancing, and that's pretty much all you can do.

Edit:

MACS SUCK
Last edited by Grindar at Jul 31, 2009,
Everyone is just going to say "Don't buy macs for games." It's probably because it's not plugged in/the laptop is moving a lot. Go into the prefs of it though and see what you can do. (command+comma)
There be no shelter here.
It's probably got more to do with your graphics processor. My last-gen MacBook ran Quake IV (wasn't it IV?) at about 3 fps, even though its fit the specs for RAM and processing power and whatnot.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by courtkid1012
Everyone is just going to say "Don't buy macs for games." It's probably because it's not plugged in/the laptop is moving a lot. Go into the prefs of it though and see what you can do. (command+comma)

no it's plugged into the power supply and sitting on a desk when i play it.

and to the inevitable trolls who go "OMGZ MAC IZ T3H SUCK BUY PCCCC!!!!" I do HAVE a pc that i use for gaming, but it's a desktop. my laptop is the mac.
Quote by SteveHouse
It's probably got more to do with your graphics processor. My last-gen MacBook ran Quake IV (wasn't it IV?) at about 3 fps, even though its fit the specs for RAM and processing power and whatnot.

3fps? Ouch..
Quote by SteveHouse

it's running the game at about 35 fps, whereas my PC (with a lower end graphics processor) runs it at around 50 fps. I think it's just the fact that it's a mac
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
it's running the game at about 35 fps, whereas my PC (with a lower end graphics processor) runs it at around 50 fps. I think it's just the fact that it's a mac

Or the fact that it's a laptop? Smaller form parts are still less performance oriented, even if they have the same specs.
the default settings with leapord when not plugged in is to have the best battery life, not best performance. just a thought
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by Jackolas
3fps? Ouch..

Yeah, it was unplayably glitchy

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Not much you can do, except turn the graphics and setting to their lowest, and close everything else. This has probably been said, but I'm just trying to help.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
runescape is your friend.

I DID NOT SAY THAT

I remember playing that 12 hours a day when I was 12
your mac is probably running a 9400m. it's a decent graphics card, but it's only good for most basic gaming. plus, when you're laptop is unplugged, it tends reduce it's performance to save battery life.

and i'm assuming you dual-booted windows, right? running windows on a virtual machine is a horrible decision especially if you're gaming.

EDIT: and check your graphics device in device manager. when you dual-boot windows, the driver for the 9400m may not be installed properly, so you'll have to go to nvidia's website and manually install the graphics driver.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Bair
the default settings with leapord when not plugged in is to have the best battery life, not best performance. just a thought

yeah but it IS plugged in and its still laggy as hell. I think it's a combination of Laptop + Mac. i know for a fact PC gaming laptops are huge and heavy for a reason. but this is small and light... for a reason
Quote by paintITblack39
your mac is probably running a 9400m. it's a decent graphics card, but it's only good for most basic gaming. plus, when you're laptop is unplugged, it tends reduce it's performance to save battery life.

and i'm assuming you dual-booted windows, right? running windows on a virtual machine is a horrible decision especially if you're gaming.

no it's all mac. I've got the PC for things requiring a windows OS.
Try running it under windows (bootcamp, not in a VM). You could try upgrading the RAM a bit, 2GB isn't all that much.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
^it's DDR3-RAM. plus, a core 2 duo processor runs perfectly fine in vista under 2GB.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
no it's all mac. I've got the PC for things requiring a windows OS.

so you're running it on OS X?

i think doom 3 is optimized for windows, mainly because macs use OpenGL and windows uses Direct3D. a lot of developers, when creating an exclusive windows game, use direct 3D.
Sent from my iPad.
* Mac OS X version 10.3.8
* 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 processor (2GHz PowerPC G5 recommended)
* 512MB of RAM
* 64MB video card (128MB recommended): Radeon 9600, GeForce FX 5200, or higher
* 2GB hard disk space
* DVD drive
* Internet play requires broadband connection

These are the minimum specs, I think the problem is that the game came out before Apple switched to Intel processors, so it's running under PPC emulation. Have you got the Universal binary patch for it?

link for patch

Quote by jgbsmith
* Mac OS X version 10.3.8
* 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 processor (2GHz PowerPC G5 recommended)
* 512MB of RAM
* 64MB video card (128MB recommended): Radeon 9600, GeForce FX 5200, or higher
* 2GB hard disk space
* DVD drive
* Internet play requires broadband connection

These are the minimum specs, I think the problem is that the game came out before Apple switched to Intel processors, so it's running under PPC emulation. Have you got the Universal binary patch for it?

link for patch

doom came out in 2007. well after apple made the intel switch.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
doom came out in 2007. well after apple made the intel switch.

it says 2005 on the cd case. thats still after mac switched though. im gonna try that patch to see if it does anything
it came out in 2005, according to this.

if it didn't come out before the switch, then why is there an official universal patch?

edit: 2005 was around the time the switch was being made (the macbook didn't come out till 2006, until then the newest laptops were G4). It's very possible it was initially coded for PPC

also, I am a very sad person to know that off the top of my head.

Last edited by jgbsmith at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by jgbsmith
it came out in 2005, according to this.

if it didn't come out before the switch, then why is there an official universal patch?

edit: 2005 was around the time the switch was being made (the macbook didn't come out till 2006, until then the newest laptops were G4). It's very possible it was initially coded for PPC

also, I am a very sad person to know that off the top of my head.

yes, it did. i wiki'd it and looked at the latest version (1.31) which was released in 2007 ...
Sent from my iPad.
The crucial factor here is whether your video memory is shared or dedicated. I don't know which it will be for your model. On the previous generation, the Macbooks had shared memory, which sucks for games, and the Pro series had dedicated memory.
Quote by cedricsmods
The crucial factor here is whether your video memory is shared or dedicated. I don't know which it will be for your model. On the previous generation, the Macbooks had shared memory, which sucks for games, and the Pro series had dedicated memory.

it's not a Pro so i guess its shared
Quote by cedricsmods

the 9400m still has dedicated VRAM. the macbook pros (15 inch and higher) come with both a 9400m and 9600m. apple just likes to explain things easily for their customers by explaining that the 9400m is good but the 9600m is better.
Sent from my iPad.
Your only chance really is to install Doom 1 or 2 instead.
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
Why not just install it on your Windows OS partition?

Also, if you have the 13", the integrated card is probably kind of weak. The 9600 should be more than enough to handle it though.

OR

You should play CoD4 instead. Works fine on my 2008 MacBook Pro (8600GT).

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Why not just install it on your Windows OS partition?

Also, if you have the 13", the integrated card is probably kind of weak. The 9600 should be more than enough to handle it though.

OR

You should play CoD4 instead. Works fine on my 2008 MacBook Pro (8600GT).

its the 9400m. I don't think there's a way to upgrade that card though. I've got COD, i tried it out and it works very nicely. Doom 3 graphics take a hell of a lot of horsepower to run smoothly though.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
its the 9400m. I don't think there's a way to upgrade that card though. I've got COD, i tried it out and it works very nicely. Doom 3 graphics take a hell of a lot of horsepower to run smoothly though.

Then.......CoD4 on veteran?

It'll keep you busy for a while...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Then.......CoD4 on veteran?

It'll keep you busy for a while...

yeah, i guess that's my only option as far as advanced modern games go. i was hoping for a good scare though
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
yeah, i guess that's my only option as far as advanced modern games go. i was hoping for a good scare though

System Shock 2.

Now.

It's pretty damn old though, but clearly the scariest game ever.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

If you really want to play Doom 3, try setting up boot camp and use Vista (turn off Aero) to play it.

I think that's the most direct, but long, solution.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Grindar
System Shock 2.

Now.

It's pretty damn old though, but clearly the scariest game ever.

yeah but once *the secret* is revealed it's not so scary anymore. I've played it way too many times. I should get rid of my PC desktop and get an Alien Ware laptop... Dead Space ftw...
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
yeah but once *the secret* is revealed it's not so scary anymore. I've played it way too many times. I should get rid of my PC desktop and get an Alien Ware laptop... Dead Space ftw...

No. Alienware is the worst brand of computers out there. Overpriced, cheaply made. I have one. Regret it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Don't get an Alienware, just trust me.

Terrible customer service, some of the worst out of ANY company I've ever dealt with that sold ANYTHING. Overpriced for NO reason whatsoever. To a ridiculous degree.

If you want a laptop for gaming, Falcon NW, no matter what. If you can't afford that, go for something like Voodoo.

I was sponsored by Falcon NW a long time again, and they've still been giving me discounts on laptops/parts, and their stuff is built to last, completely reliable, and the highest quality.

I don't want to sound like some weird fanboy or salesguy, so just don't go Alien Ware. It's just a glorified Dell.

Edit:

It seems that we share this opinion.
Quote by Grindar

Edit:

It seems that we share this opinion.

Do we also share a wasted $1200?

Fuck you Alienware. So hard.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Do we also share a wasted $1200?

i just had a look at one of their laptops. the outer casing tells me all i need to know about it lol.

One of my dad's friends has built many of his own computers, and they're all brilliant, i wonder if i could get him to build me one. it would be a lot cheaper than half the stuff out there.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Alienware's for people who want everyone to think they have a good computer. My friend's douchebag roommate had one, but it was pwned easily by my friend's custom HP (which was like 22", it was effin' massive).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Page 1 of 2