Page 1 of 2
I read a John Mayer article the other day that got me thinking. Music listening technology is advancing with advancements in the iPod series and the majority of people using the iPod to listen to music. In the article Mayer suggested that iPod headphones and speakers don't deliver in sound quality and that because the majority of people use iPods to listen to music, then music is being made with the intention of it being heard through these headphones, so we're losing out on quality

Here's the link by the way.
http://www.esquire.com/features/music/ESQ1004-MUSIC-MAYER?click=main_sr
Its not a new article i know, but it raises a valid point.

So are we sacrificing the quality of our music in favour of being fashionable by using iPods?

And if you know any other examples in life where technology has advanced and quality has diminished then please give them
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Not just quality, but reliability is becoming an increasing issue aswell.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
I don't really notice it. But what really grinds my gears is when my headphones break every 2 damn weeks.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Jul 31, 2009,
title is true, but not just for music tech.

ex:look at the xbox 360. most people have theirs a year and get red ringed while my N64 is my original and has never given any problems..
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by itchy guitar
I don't really notice it. But what really grind smy geears is when my headphones break every 2 damn weeks.

this
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
the 'music' that is played on the radio these days isn't music.
the quality of that goes backwords
Quote by joshua029

ex:look at the xbox 360. most people have theirs a year and get red ringed while my N64 is my original and has never given any problems..

Yep, happened to mah freind after 13 months, one month after the warrenty goes up. And his old n64 still works, no problems whatsoever.
i have an mp3 player, i spent $40 on my headphones specifically so i would have good quality, just about every set of headphones suck IMO. i hate ****ty quality music, no matter how convenient it is.
Free at last! Free at last! God Almighty FREE AT LAST!
I Pan-Tallica
I hate listening to music through headphones, as it's lower quality, and I hate it being enclosed tightly just into my ear. I prefer feeling the music instead of it just being rammed down my ear.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
They were talking about this on 6 music (briefly) radio recently-ish and saying now most people listen to music through **** laptop speakers at a relatively poor streaming quality. Which is probably accurate for some people.

If you are talking in terms of production, too much music is overly compressed, or dare I say it "brick-walled" in which dynamics are pretty much destroyed including the variations between soft and hard.

Also, whilst I love bass and bass aided and driven music genres, it is not the be and end all of a good track. Also the sound at live shows has almost too much emphasis on bass and kick drum which can lead to an unbalanced sound. It can sound great though...

In my opinion...
Last edited by Jackolas at Jul 31, 2009,
High tech=high maintenance.

I remember we had this discussion in my 8th grade tech class after CO2 car racing.

We had this cool drag-strip type thing with a timer and a light tree and everything but we could never get it to work. Then the teacher got out this old set up that was basically a thick needle that spun in a circle hard enough to basically just punch through the CO2 cartridge.

**** worked the first time.
depends what you buy...if you had bought an Iriver you would be happy.

believe me i remember the days of the original walkmans which were massive, headphones itched your ears and the cassettes would get tangled, so you would have to sellotape the ends together. and the quality deteriorated after about a week!
Quote by Dirge Humani
You're so cool and original.

captain obvious is obvious

The difference between headphone quality and the quality of John Mayer music is huge. One plays great music that you can download all over the internet that is generally accepted by a large following of people. The other is John Mayer.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Jackolas
*small wall*

In my opinion...

agreed...

and someone has definately spent some time thinking about this.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Dirge Humani
You're so cool and original.

It doesn't matter if it's original, it's true.
Quote by Blow Me
The difference between headphone quality and the quality of John Mayer music is huge. One plays great music that you can download all over the internet that is generally accepted by a large following of people. The other is John Mayer.

just because it isn't Liked by the masses doesnt mean the music isn't good. Every person has that one artist/band that they listen to who not everyone listens to. For example, where i live Death Cab for Cutie are not popular but does that diminish the Quality of their songwriting on tracks like "i will follow you into the dark"? No it doesnt

And i find it quite ironic that you classify John Mayer's music as being not accepted by large followings of people, when you remember that he has spent many years being labelled as a pop artist. Pop music is music that is popular, i.e listened to by large numbers of people
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by Blow Me

Sigged!
Quote by guitar-guy01
just because it isn't Liked by the masses doesnt mean the music isn't good. Every person has that one artist/band that they listen to who not everyone listens to. For example, where i live Death Cab for Cutie are not popular but does that diminish the Quality of their songwriting on tracks like "i will follow you into the dark"? No it doesnt

And i find it quite ironic that you classify John Mayer's music as being not accepted by large followings of people, when you remember that he has spent many years being labelled as a pop artist. Pop music is music that is popular, i.e listened to by large numbers of people

It was a joke. Go choke on dicks.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by joshua029
agreed...

and someone has definately spent some time thinking about this.

Yep. Glad you agree of course! I did try breaking it up into 3 paragraphs.
How about buy non-apple headphones....

Do you think the ipod only works with ipod earbuds or something? :/
iPods are usually lacking in sound quality (the newer ones have been better), although you can find much better sounding players out there, but they aren't as popular because they aren't iPod, and nobody researches anything else.

Quote by joshua029

The difference is that the 360 uses much more advanced technology and alot more moving parts than the n64, which leaves more room for things to go wrong, although it is microsoft's fault for not doing enough testing of the parts that were going wrong.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Last edited by clincher09 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by piratemetalhead
How about buy non-apple headphones....

Do you think the ipod only works with ipod earbuds or something? :/

Although they will help, better headphones won't dramatically increase the quality of the sound on an iPod.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by joshua029

This. My fucking SNES still works, and it's nearly 20 years old.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by Mockstairwell
Although they will help, better headphones won't dramatically increase the quality of the sound on an iPod.

true, its more to do with how the songs are processed through the head phones

I've been avoiding headphones recently and favouring towards my stereo speakers which i've customised
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!

Yeah!
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Vista anyone?
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
I don't really see the difference between the sound quality between an iPod and a vinyl/speaker, etc.
John Mayer knows what he's talking about. Like his atricle in RS on Hendrix in the Greatest Guitarists thing.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by guitar-guy01
So are we sacrificing the quality of our music in favour of being fashionable by using iPods?

Yeah, everyone has ipods because they're "fashionable", not because it's a convenient way of listening to music when you're out doing stuff.
So you're saying a vinyl recording put through a stereo has a better sound quality than an ipod playing an mp3 through a stereo?
Quote by piratemetalhead
So you're saying a vinyl recording put through a stereo has a better sound quality than an ipod playing an mp3 through a stereo?

Which it does, yes.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
so know i-pod hating is a pit monkey stereotype just like hating the jonas bros, line 6s or guitar hero?

man, and i-pod is fine, it is a really practical way of hearing your music whenever youd like to
Quote by actaderock
so know i-pod hating is a pit monkey stereotype just like hating the jonas bros, line 6s or guitar hero?

man, and i-pod is fine, it is a really practical way of hearing your music whenever youd like to

i'm not hating on the iPod, just pondering if its really the way forward, given that it reduces sound quality
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
i think conchord or is it concord? ... was a step backwards =/ shame they got rid of them
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Page 1 of 2