I have a 1985 MIJ Strat that I recently got in a trade. I was thinking of changing the neck for an Ibanez Wizard II neck. I've played on them many times and like the feel of the Ibanez. I know I will have to drill new holes for the screws to attach it, but I need to know if the neck will fit into the cavity in the body of the guitar. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
it will not work.
1. the neck socet is a different design
2. the wizard is a different scale to a standard strat
3. i think the wizard neck is a different width to a strat neck
Thanks for the help. Guess I'll just have to stick with the original neck. The neck has a shiny black finish on it. It's kind of sticky. How can I remove that?
Sandpaper
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Careful, MIJ strats can be pretty valuable. Before doing any modifications to it, you might want to see what it is worth.
Hang on a sec here, Wizard II necks have a scale length of 25.5", the same as strats as far as I know (unless the MIJ strats are a special exception). That means that if you really wanted to, you could slowly widen out or deepen the neck pocket to accommodate the Wizard II. As for the issue of a possible different width, even if it was, the nut on the Ibanez would be a different width, therefore eliminating the possibility of that being a problem.

But I agree with cedricsmods, check the value and make sure that the playability isn't just something that can be fixed by adjusting the action. Changing out the neck for the Wizard II would be a fairly large job (unless it's miraculously a perfect fit), so choose wisely......
Gear:
-Saga strat, modded with guitarfetish p/ups
-epiphone abomination (don't know what it's called) with scalloped neck and power rails gfs p/up
-Fender Twin Reverb
-Blues screamer pedal
-Boss Turbo overdrive
Get a Warmoth Wizard I neck and it will fit. you can also keep the awesome fender headstock with the back contour.
Quote by The_7th_Nerf
Hang on a sec here, Wizard II necks have a scale length of 25.5", the same as strats as far as I know (unless the MIJ strats are a special exception). That means that if you really wanted to, you could slowly widen out or deepen the neck pocket to accommodate the Wizard II. As for the issue of a possible different width, even if it was, the nut on the Ibanez would be a different width, therefore eliminating the possibility of that being a problem.

But I agree with cedricsmods, check the value and make sure that the playability isn't just something that can be fixed by adjusting the action. Changing out the neck for the Wizard II would be a fairly large job (unless it's miraculously a perfect fit), so choose wisely......

Though it's the same scale, I believe most if not all Wizard II necks have 24 frets, and since the end of the 24th fret lines up with the end of the neck, the measurement will be off
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Oops.... forgot about all them damn frets!

So I guess the only way to get it to work is to make sure the Ibanez neck is 22 frets?
Gear:
-Saga strat, modded with guitarfetish p/ups
-epiphone abomination (don't know what it's called) with scalloped neck and power rails gfs p/up
-Fender Twin Reverb
-Blues screamer pedal
-Boss Turbo overdrive