I could either buy a mid-range fender telecaster(Highway One), or build one from parts from warmoth.
What are the pros and cons of each option?

Also how would modding a MIM standard compare to those options?

I'm looking to spend $800 or less, thanks
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Quote by burnboy85
Agile Custom shop?
Other thant that, building would be cool. It would also be more personal for you. Just make shure you have the time and pactience(sp )

Technically, he's just putting parts together from Warmoth.

TS, if you want to go the Partscaster route, then I'd also suggest a look at www.guitarmill.com as well.
Personally I would say build it but since you would build the guitar with parts from Warmoth I'm not so sure. If you were going to build it from the bare wood I'd say go ahead. With Warmoth parts it seems like putting together a puzzle to me rather than creating your own.

Meh... Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Building it would be good if you want to go with a different body/neck wood, or a non-traditional finish. If you plan on upgrading the pickups right off the bat this might be worthwhile as well. It may mean more to you than a store-bought one, it may not. At the end of the day, you're trusting someone to pick out good wood. You may/may not need to set-up both, level frets, etc. on either, so it's all a matter of taste
Thanks for all the great advice, i see how warmoth parts or similar stuff might be more like a puzzle, but then it gives me the option to include all of the things I want without comprimise. =D
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Quote by Rockerdude135
Thanks for all the great advice, i see how warmoth parts or similar stuff might be more like a puzzle, but then it gives me the option to include all of the things I want without comprimise. =D

It also may go over your budget too so you may have to compromise within your budget. Anyway if you are willing to spend a fair amount then go Warmoth if you just want basic tele just get a really good playing MIM tele.