If so, what's with online retailers wanting to charge like $200 for 3 years coverage?

I'm a bit confused
I don't think so.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
It may depend on the time. Epi's have it, I'd assume Les Paul Standards, Customs, and some SG's have it. Anyone who has a NEW Les Paul may be able to tell him. The Gibbys I have have are too old, and the V is used, so no case candy.
I don't think they come with any kind of warranty. Thus the reason shops sell the insurance and make big bucks. (this goes for anyguitar)

TBH I'd be more warry of amps/effects especially used, as they can pretty much bust for 'no reason' just like any computer/circuit. Guitars, on the other hand, are a lot more stable. Maybe soldering goes loose or need a re-wire that isn't too expensive.
i'd imagine they would

check their site.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
i don't think gibson's come with a lifetime warrenty, whilst epiphone's have a lifetime warrenty and a 1year warrenty on the electrics
my sg faded had a booklet with it that said all gibsons are covered for life
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by steve!
my sg faded had a booklet with it that said all gibsons are covered for life

it says "your guitar is likely to outlive you"
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
My Gibson Les Paul has a limited lifetime warrenty. That means they would argue that it is not covered should anything go wrong.
Quote by Blompcube

That's the plan

I've taken mine out of it's case maybe 2 times since i got back from NYC in mid-April. Why? Because i took it with me, and got Les Paul to sign it.

Just had to throw that out there
Quote by Blompcube

no its got that and liek a bit which is on like card which tears out which goes on ablout life time gaurntee
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Pac_man0123
That's the plan

I've taken mine out of it's case maybe 2 times since i got back from NYC in mid-April. Why? Because i took it with me, and got Les Paul to sign it.

Just had to throw that out there

!!! Signed by Les Paul! An SG?? Did he spit on it too?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
The extended warranty is pretty much pure profit for the seller. They have already done the math and the odds are stacked very heavily in their favor. The products they have lots of claims on and cost them money they just charge more for the warranty until the odds are in their favor again.
Gibsons do have a lifetime warrenty. The warrenty that a retailer would provide would cover some damages that Gibson wouldn't. Its not really worth it.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.