ive been wanting another OD pedal for when i start using the old bassman again. i was thinking about getting Xotics Effects BB Preamp, but then i found the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, for $22. i wasnt expecting much, but i figured even if its not great, i will find a use for it.

anyway, the cool cat drive came the other day, and i immediatly plugged it in. everything was set to noon. first thing i noticed was how freaking loud it was. with its volume at noon, it was already overdriving my preamp, and thats saying alot considering i was plugged into the low gain input and the amps volume was on 2.5 out of 12.

next, i played with the gain, all the way down on the gain and you have a very usable clean boost. the pedal is fairly "transparent" (i hate that term, if something was actually transparent, then the pedal wouldnt do anything.) and with the gain all the way up, you get a very thick, throaty sound. you can hear the mids shift a bit down to the lower mid range, and the bass becomes a little more pronounced and rounded, but stays in control. the entire gain range is very usuable. although i wont be using much gain on it, its nice to know its there.

next is the tone knob. its actually a pretty bright pedal. but the tone is very effective. the only pedal that ive played where you can turn the tone all the way down, and still have clarity. this is very useful, as i said its very bright, and combine that with a strat and i really have to turn the tone knob down. right about noon is a good spot, give or take notch or two in either direction.

what i really like about this pedal is the way it stacks with my tubescreamer. i run the tubescreamer with a bit of a volume boost and gain on about 4/10. it makes this very syrupy lead tone. it reminds me of andy timmons. with the right guitar it could do a good imitation of the santana thing. also, this pedal really is no good if you dont have a good touch. you have to know how to get the sounds you want out of your guitar or else you will get just one sound out of this pedal, and thats the AC/DC tone. seriously, when i first plugged it in and got it set with just a little bit of gain, all i could think about was how rediculous it was that i bought a pedal that turns you into angus young. but with some playing and focusing on my technique, i was able to get "my" sound out of it.

i dont have pics, because you know what the pedal looks like, or you could just google it.

but i do have clips in my profile. its called cool cat demo. they are extremely sloppy. a week ago i had a screw stuck one inch into my finger, so im in pain when i play and dont have full mobility with it, and it shows.
i apologize for the quality too. i used a 57 and a nice unterface, but i recorded it in ny garage, so it was very very noisy with the dirty power, and alot of strange frequancies come out from the reverb of the room. i promise to do a better demo in a few days, and i promise this one will be planned out better, and alot more concise.

i will probably end up buying a few other cool cat pedals.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
hard to go wrong for $22... they're more like £30 here. Haven't tried them yet, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i saw them in stores, and ignored them. i figured they were cheaply made like the fab series.
i was shocked when i realized it was metal casings, and the knobs feel sturdier than most other pedals.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Sweet man. On the volume thing, I get the same thing when I use my Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive with my F-50. Gain all the way down, Volume all the way up and Clean (basically a blend knob) turned down and I am overdriving my clean channel. Sounds nice. Just enough grit, but just that much louder than my clean sound to be kind of annoying.

HNPD!!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
yeah that much volume boost can be quite annoying.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
yeah i saw them in stores, and ignored them. i figured they were cheaply made like the fab series.
i was shocked when i realized it was metal casings, and the knobs feel sturdier than most other pedals.

I have the Cool Cat Fuzz, it is actually great. It sounds like a big muff and a tube screamer stacked, crazy low end, super smooth fuzz. Like you said it is loud as hell too, I keep the volume at like 1/4 so that it doesn't spike my level when I engage it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by chea_man

yeah, definitely. i mean, if they were that kind of price here, I'd take a chance even if i couldn't try them first, based on what I've heard. Just here they're just dear enough that they're not quite an impulse buy, kind of thing. Plus the fact that they have 3 or 4 pedals I'd like to check out, and without trying them there's no real way of knowing which I'd prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, definitely. i mean, if they were that kind of price here, I'd take a chance even if i couldn't try them first, based on what I've heard. Just here they're just dear enough that they're not quite an impulse buy, kind of thing. Plus the fact that they have 3 or 4 pedals I'd like to check out, and without trying them there's no real way of knowing which I'd prefer.

yeah, im lucky to find a good price. the normal price i think is 30 dollars US, i wouldnt have risked it then. although it is worth it at that price.
is it a great, quality pedal? yes.
is it the last pedal ill ever buy? nope.

maybe youll run into a used one sometime. im sure when they start showing up it will be great deals.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
yeah. i'm sure local shops here probably have them in stock by now, just i haven't been to a guitar shop in ages.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nope...

I just didn't want another post to start with "yeah"

Congrats, the new dano pedals are a lot sturdier than the old plastic ones. Sold a Metal II yesterday, it was quite heavy which makes me think it's not a toy. I'll try that fuzz, it sounds like a decent value.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
nope...

I just didn't want another post to start with "yeah"

Congrats, the new dano pedals are a lot sturdier than the old plastic ones. Sold a Metal II yesterday, it was quite heavy which makes me think it's not a toy. I'll try that fuzz, it sounds like a decent value.

ive heard the fuzz is a frantone peach fuzz clone. i dunno though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I'll check it out. I don't have a fuzz and for the price, it's win. again chea.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I'll check it out. I don't have a fuzz and for the price, it's win. again chea.

i have only heard clips, and im not really a fuzz guy, but it sounded good to me!
im really wanting the transparent drive now, but it takes me forever to convince myself to buy something, and there are so many things that i need first lol.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Im thinking about getting the Cool Cat Tremolo pedal anyone that tried it?
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
havent tried it, but i can only imagine its its very good. they have an even cheaper tremolo pedal that was a cult classic (cant remember the name, it was named after a food) and this one is supposed to be an upgraded version. im guessing you would be very happy with it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Sounds great, nice playing as well.

Not having, nor ever having had a fuzz, I'm looking forward to this thing. Would cover a lot of classic rock and blues tones.
tatar, you can get some very cool bluesy/rock sounds.

and thanks alot gregs!!!
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by tubetime86
I have the Cool Cat Fuzz, it is actually great. It sounds like a big muff and a tube screamer stacked, crazy low end, super smooth fuzz. Like you said it is loud as hell too, I keep the volume at like 1/4 so that it doesn't spike my level when I engage it.

This is something along the lines of what I was gonna say when I entered this thread
yeah there is almost too much volume of tap for this thing lol, i think its like 15 decibels of gain iirc
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.