I'll keep it short.. I'm starting bass fairly soon. Thought I was set for what I'm getting... but godamn it..

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14235-vintage-v940-active-bass-bubinga-fretless.html

... So cheap.. So beautiful... So versatile..

But its fretless, not that this is an offturner.. It was one of the reasons I'm falling in love with it, but for starting out won't I get confused?it does have fret markers on the side of the neck like on guitars right?

If the fact that its fretless will deter me from normal learning, then I won't..

But that is a beaut..
You made two threads by accident - Might wanna delete one of them.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
yea. thats gonna be hard to learn on. stick with a cheap 4 string then when you get better you can learn on that fretless. it is a beauty thought.
Don't buy fretless for your first bass, you'll be royally ****ed with a fretted afterwards.
I was and had to adapt/learn all over again.

I found it completely different to a fretted bass, it was weird.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you like the idea of a fretless, and see yourself sticking with it... go for it. You don't see manypeople starting on fretted violins, or marked trombones do you?

I could very well have the idea of sticking with it.

The things I would do to that neck...

I am not joking, I touched my penis when I saw a pic of it.

But tbh, such little amount of music I lsitne to has fretless.. Literally just Defiant imagination album by QuoVadis and some Jaco... Songs would sound relatively the same if I used fretless right? I know it gives that "mwah" tone.
Last edited by Lollage123 at Jul 31, 2009,
Thats a really good bass, go for it. Youll have a great ear from learning on fretless.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
It's a sexy bass man, I say get it. I've always wanted a fretless so I'm converting my starter bass. If you really want it then I say get it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
That is so mine, but can you just tell me guys, it does have the fret markers on the side of the neck right?

But if I don't have enough budget then I dunno..

Fretted basses are looking more and more unattractive now haha

To guy below me, no way of that. I'll screw it up for sure.
Last edited by Lollage123 at Jul 31, 2009,
Yeah, there are fret markers on the side like 3-5-7-9-12, etc...

You could make your own fret lines but you would want to be VERY precise in doing this if you wanted to attempt doing so.
Quote by Steve08
Yeah, there are fret markers on the side like 3-5-7-9-12, etc...

You could make your own fret lines but you would want to be VERY precise in doing this if you wanted to attempt doing so.

He'd be better off buying a fretted bass and defretting it. Making your own lines would end up backfiring. It would be terribly hard to make every line in tune.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Ehh, I'm gonna leave it... Its hard to do, I know... Seems too much trouble tbh. Plus I think I want a passive..
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Don't buy fretless for your first bass, you'll be royally ****ed with a fretted afterwards.
I was and had to adapt/learn all over again.

I found it completely different to a fretted bass, it was weird.

How so?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Lollage123
Ehh, I'm gonna leave it... Its hard to do, I know... Seems too much trouble tbh. Plus I think I want a passive..

Vintage do a Jaco bass that's pretty sweet, first time picking up a fretless but it just felt natural and effortless to play.
Quote by szekelymihai
if youre a starter and dont plan in getting a teacher, dont get a fretless . even if youre not a starter a guitar

Worked out for me. Started playing Bass in July of last year, and my second Bass was a Fretless which I got for Christmas, Have yet to look back with tone exceptions for some songs.

Frets feel weird now. lol
I exclusively play fretless, and I learned to play on the same fretless that I own now. Don't be put off, learning on fretless helps you to develop a great ear and good fretting technique. Because, without those, you'll sound horrible. I would say go for it, it definitely pays off in the end
Quote by Lollage123
Thanks for helping me get put off it guys

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15