I just can't seem to get a good gained tone out of my JCM, and its really hard to find a decent crunchy pop/punk tone. the sound is too sterile.

but i might be getting a MXR 10 band for $70. After i asked some people which pedal to get (Tubescreamer, bbe sonic stomp, and mxr) everyone voted for the 10 band saying it would do wonders.

another question is, would it be better in front of the amp or in effects loop?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
It will not do wonders.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
it will do wonders. best thing i could have done for my amp. sounds better in the loop.

Dont make the mistake of replacing your amp's EQ. EQ the amp to the best of the amps abilities then make minor tweaks with the pedal.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Ofcourse It is a wise purchase.

It would be unwise not to get it!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Don't get an EQ pedal until you learn how to EQ your amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Everytime an EQ thread pop up on GG&A I want to .

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
It's most transparent in the loop but works both ways.

Still, A good OD pedal cannot be replaced. I love my BOSS SD-1! Best 55€ I've spent! Dirt cheap, awesome tone.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by nightraven
how are you EQing the amp?

not nearly what it should be. i asked yesterday what settings i should do to get a good pop/punk tone, and plenty said :

treble- 3 o clock
mids- 2 or 3 o clock
bass- 10 or 11 o clock
prescence- 2 o clock

well i did that... and my tone sucked ass

i have good tubes (kt77s) and a great bridge pup (that i might add, is used by several of my favorite pop/punk guitarists), so i don;t know what the problem is

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
does it sound too "loose"?

Crank the mids and treble. Loose some gain and bass. Put the presence to 1/4.

If you want a tighter and crunchier tone the OD will do wonders...I can't play metal with my amp without the overdrive pedal.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Start over. Put your knobs at 12:00 and use YOUR ears.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by phenom1991
does it sound too "loose"?

Crank the mids and treble. Loose some gain and bass. Put the presence to 1/4.

If you want a tighter and crunchier tone the OD will do wonders...I can't play metal with my amp without the overdrive pedal.

yes, loose would be a good word to describe it.

im all for cranking pres. and treble more, but the higher i crank mids, the less gainish crunch stays with my tone

oh, and my gain is at around 1-2 o clock

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I've used mine for numerous things in the past so it comes in handy for many things besides just eq'ing which makes it a great purchase..

I agree that it's a good way to get multiple tones out of an amp or to make different guitars cooperate with one amp, but using it to make a bad tone better is missing the point slightly IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
I agree that it's a good way to get multiple tones out of an amp or to make different guitars cooperate with one amp, but using it to make a bad tone better is missing the point slightly IMO.

Atually theres been a few amps I couldnt get a good tone out of for the life of me. But once I slapped the eq on there all that went away. Mainly due to the amp needed to be boosted and the on board eq at best was a pile of sh!t. So by bypassing that, killing the unwanted freq's and boostin the ones that couldnt be boosted with the on board the amp came alive.

Then theres the other methods that help out an amp.. Cant be used to boost volume, solo, mid hump for cut, boost for cable length loss, put in effects loop to turn the amp into a master volume amp and so on. All of which can make an amp really shine..
Quote by stradivari310

+ one brazilian
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by stradivari310
+1
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
good guitar and cables helpppp! 6260alsoo lol!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Quote by nightraven
so many people get these because they don't know how to EQ their amp properly and expect this to do it all

In some cases, actually (like most Valveking users) an EQ improves the amp far beyond what the onboard EQ could do... but they're meant to be used in conjunction. With my Valveking I find a good setting on the EQ pedal, and then tweak my amp's EQ from there.

It never hurt to try things out, OP.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I was also thinking about getting the same EQ pedal...I think i'm gonna be getting a VOX AC15 classic tube amp soon and already have some pedals so i'm sure this EQ won't hurt. I'd say go for it.
well, i actually have been talking with the guy i sold my old Hellraiser to, and he happens to be in a hardcore metal band, and they're surprisingly good. he said he and their other guitarist both use these when live and recording and said they really make the amp shine.

he also uses the same amp as me, so that shows that the MXR can help the marshall achieve those breakdown tones

and plus im practically getting it for $50 off normal price. if i dont like it, i can resell for like $90

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
To get the most out of any amp you should have three EQ control points going at any one time. The first before the pre-amp stage (pedal EQ; active pickup EQs technically are the same as a pedal EQ but are on fixed settings), second between pre and power amp stage (your amp's tone stacks/controls) and the third between the power amp stage and speakers (the speaker's qualities automatically EQ the post-power amp tone but an attenuator should really be used to allow more/quickly manipulative control post-power amp).

visually it's like this:

Guitar -> EQ (pedal) -> Pre-amp -> EQ (tone stacks) -> Power-amp -> EQ (attenuator) -> Speakers.

EQ pedals prior to the pre-amp should really be prioritised above any other pedal a guitarist can buy as it allows a very significant amount more tone shaping than just the usual tone stacks between the pre and power amp sections.

Attenuators should also be far more well known by all guitarists because they grant an even more significant amount of tone control. Using a 3 point EQ system like this can make huge differences in what amps can sound like. Sure it takes some of the "romanticism" out of amps because essentially with the right EQing the tonal differences between different amps is so small it's almost or totally negligible; but really tonal control is far more important.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Aug 1, 2009,
I was wondering about the mxr also,
my superchamp xd doesn't have a mid knob, is it really worth me buying this or is the 6band enough ?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
I was wondering about the mxr also,
my superchamp xd doesn't have a mid knob, is it really worth me buying this or is the 6band enough ?

I don't have much experience in the comparison of 10 band over 6, but if your amp only has a 2 band I would go for a 10 band pedal EQ.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
To get the most out of any amp you should have three EQ control points going at any one time. The first before the pre-amp stage (pedal EQ; active pickup EQs technically are the same as a pedal EQ but are on fixed settings), second between pre and power amp stage (your amp's tone stacks/controls) and the third between the power amp stage and speakers (the speaker's qualities automatically EQ the post-power amp tone but an attenuator should really be used to allow more/quickly manipulative control post-power amp).

visually it's like this:

Guitar -> EQ (pedal) -> Pre-amp -> EQ (tone stacks) -> Power-amp -> EQ (attenuator) -> Speakers.

EQ pedals prior to the pre-amp should really be prioritised above any other pedal a guitarist can buy as it allows a very significant amount more tone shaping than just the usual tone stacks between the pre and power amp sections.

Attenuators should also be far more well known by all guitarists because they grant an even more significant amount of tone control. Using a 3 point EQ system like this can make huge differences in what amps can sound like. Sure it takes some of the "romanticism" out of amps because essentially with the right EQing the tonal differences between different amps is so small it's almost or totally negligible; but really tonal control is far more important.

Why, then, have I always read that the EQ pedal should always go in the FX loop?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by James13v

not sure what you meant exactly, but I have to disagree, even minor changes to the same circuit design in amp can result in a completely different voicing. You can do all the EQ'ing, attenuating, tweaking you want to them, and they aren't going to sound the same.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by James13v

visually it's like this:

Or just buy an amp that gives you the tone you want. If you can't dial in a tone you like without a ton of extra crap, look at a different amp. Get a guitar, pickups, amp, and speaker that gives the tone you want and you're done.

Agree with erock too
WHY THE HELL DOES NO ONE MENTION OD PEDALS?! I couldn't get that tight and badass breakdown tone without mine!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Just my opinion, but I think everyones first pedal should be an EQ. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one just for my OD/Distortion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Yes, but I'm pretty sure his JCM has nothing wrong with the EQ. The OD might be alot more help to him. I don't even need my OD honestly....Sometimes I add it, Or not. Don't get me wrong, It's ****ing awesome! But my amp just has wonderful distortion and EQ.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by scott58
Just my opinion, but I think everyones first pedal should be an EQ. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one just for my OD/Distortion.

Everyone's first pedal should be fun. Which EQs are not.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Everyone's first pedal should be fun. Which EQs are not.

My first pedal was a Digitech Whammy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??