Howdy,

I'm having trouble getting a smooth lead sound out of my rig at the moment. I'm running a Laney GH100L through the matching cabinet (both stock), with a Ibanez RG550/LTD EX400. Just wondering if there was anything I could do to get a smoother lead sound. I love my rhythm tone, but for lead, no the higher gain settings it's a tad too 'grainy' for my taste.
Also, I'm having some trouble using a boost in front of the amp, I'm using a Fulltone GT-500 to boost it, but it just seems to make the tone muddy. I'm using the booster/OD side of the pedal.

Thanks in advance,
Campbell
On your pedal, dial down the drive/gain, and crank up the level/volume.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Been doing that, but it still muddies up. The controls are: Volume, Drive, Bass + Highs
Put down the output on your guitar itself, that lil' volume knob is your best friend. Set the drive on the pedal low, and the volume at an equal level to your amps regular output. Roll back your highs on the pedal, and place the highs on the amp a bit higher than the ones on the pedal, or vice-versa.
Originally posted by turinbrakes
actually YOU SUCK

"I once read a poem, held my breath
But that moment's gone
First time I felt life, somewhat hurts
Need an option and some hope "

Anders Fridén
Quote by M Power
Do you use the neck pickup?

Sometimes, it depends. Usually I use the neck pickup and roll off the tone on the guitar a bit for lower gain stuff. But I would really love an aggressive but smooth high gain lead tone.
Try just an EQ pedal in front of your rhythm tone... It can boost the signal and shape the tone as well.
Quote by mh.666
Sometimes, it depends. Usually I use the neck pickup and roll off the tone on the guitar a bit for lower gain stuff. But I would really love an aggressive but smooth high gain lead tone.

Boogie
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Can't really afford a new amp at the moment, unfortunately.Also, Boogies are way overpriced in the UK.

... saying that, I think I may start saving for a Mark V/IV. Still hoping to find a used Mark II up on the 'bay though, haha.

Would changing the EL34's in my Laney for 6L6's maybe make the tone smoother?
Quote by mh.666
Can't really afford a new amp at the moment, unfortunately.Also, Boogies are way overpriced in the UK.

... saying that, I think I may start saving for a Mark V/IV. Still hoping to find a used Mark II up on the 'bay though, haha.

Would changing the EL34's in my Laney for 6L6's maybe make the tone smoother?

The Laney by itself should get a smooth tone

what pickups are you using in your guitars?

When i played my friends LH(precurser to the GH) just a ts-9 with some small eqing got me a lead tone.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
sc00p teh mids!

Only joking. Check the Ultimate Settings thread. It might show you how to get the tones you need, based on certain artists. Paul Gilbert used this amp, right?
Quote by greggybhoy
sc00p teh mids!

Only joking. Check the Ultimate Settings thread. It might show you how to get the tones you need, based on certain artists. Paul Gilbert used this amp, right?

yea he did. his tone isnt necessarily smooth per se. its clear and crisp/articulate, and not too gainy. then again he does have like two eq pedals on his pedal board, two or three od's and a bajillion effects that he could or could not use
The Ibanez has a (Ibby) V8/S1/V7, was thinking about swapping them out for some DiMarzios of some sort or other. The EX-400 as EMG 80/61.
Quote by mh.666
The Ibanez has a (Ibby) V8/S1/V7, was thinking about swapping them out for some DiMarzios of some sort or other. The EX-400 as EMG 80/61.

Those ibanez pickups might be a small culprit in this. They are decent pickups, but a good pickup change will help smooth out/refine your tone.
Thanks for the help guys.

I've been reading on the Laney Posse forums, and people are suggesting JJ 6L6s to smooth out and darken the tone. Would this also help get a more AJFA/MoP Metallica tone for the rhythm? I love how it sounds for KeA/RTL era stuff, but I think a darker sound would work better for their later stuff.

Forgot to mention I'm a massive 'Tallica fan, haha.
this might not be to your taste, but if i want a smooth lead tone I tend to:

-turn highs and mids up and turn the bass just a little lower, usually:
treble: 7/8
my amp has no mid knob, but maybe about 6
bass:4/5
-then on my overdrive pedal I turn the gain to around 10 o'clock and smoothen the drive out by turning the tone down, in your case just take out some of the highs and turn the bass up
-then some times Ill hit the middle selection on my les paul, and turn the tone down to around 4/5 on the treble pick up.

If your boost is muddy then maybe turn the mids down just a tad?

This might be bad advice, I'm not a tone pro, but you could try it.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
this might not be to your taste, but if i want a smooth lead tone I tend to:

-turn highs and mids up and turn the bass just a little lower, usually:
treble: 7/8
my amp has no mid knob, but maybe about 6
bass:4/5
-then on my overdrive pedal I turn the gain to around 10 o'clock and smoothen the drive out by turning the tone down, in your case just take out some of the highs and turn the bass up
-then some times Ill hit the middle selection on my les paul, and turn the tone down to around 4/5 on the treble pick up.

If your boost is muddy then maybe turn the mids down just a tad?

This might be bad advice, I'm not a tone pro, but you could try it.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help

Although it will have to wait 'till tomorrow as it is now 23:45, haha.
More bass and midrange with lower treble, or use your neck pickup (with just more mids and slightly less treble)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores