OK, so I have the chance to buy a used Peavey Classic 30 for £150, also a few modifications have been made to it. I have two question, is it a suitable amp for me, and what effect will the mods have, are they good/bad?

What I want is an amp I can use for home practice, band practice and smallish gigs, so I reckon a 30 watt tube amp would be a decent volume, I don't know a whole lot about tube amps so correct me if this is wrong . I'd like to have an amp that gives good cleans, is reasonably versatile, and can give me good high gain, (Alice in Chains/ Soundgarden would be as distorted as I would need to get it), I have a ProCo Rat II, so if I need to use that pedal to get decent high gain levels then that's fine. I'd also like my amp to handle pedals well. I'll be using a MiM fender tele, and the styles I play are alternative rock, hard rock, grunge, the main bands would be - Radiohead, RHCP, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, AiC, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden. (I love Frusciante tone, if I could get something similar to that it would be awesome )

The mods the sell has done is
- replaced the supplied 'Blue Marvel' with an Eminence 'Private Jack' speaker. (he has offered me the chance to have the original speaker instead, which would be best?)

- swapped out the supplied Sovtek EL84's tubes with JJ Electronic EL84's. (he has also offered me the chance to have the original tubes instead, again, which would be best?)

- and he fitted a 'Tom's Tube Tamer'

Are these mods good? And is there a chance that a botched modification job could have screwed up the amp? (because I'm a little suspicious about the extremely low price.) And would this be a suitable amp for me?

Thanks
I have no experience with a lot of amps, but Peavey is a great brand of amp. That's all that I can say about this.
dude, that's a great deal, go for it

but see how it sounds with the mods and see if he can describe how it sounded without. also, this amp takes pedals well, so you can pretty easily use pedals to get the sound you want.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
30 watt tube should be plenty loud.
I have a 40 watt fender hot rod deluxe (tube) and it can crank pretty damn loud
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Definetly go for the deal! Keep the nice Eminence speaker in there as well as the newer tubes. The upgrade(s) are good.
EDIT: Also, your avatar is full of win, TS.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
The new speaker and new tubes should make the amp sound better. And the Tube Tamer stops the tubes from rattling and getting busted, b/c the Classic 30 didnt come with a tube guard. The Classic 30 is voiced like a Marshall, and the Private Jack is good for Brit-voiced amps, so a decent RHCP tone should be doable, depending on the guitar your using. Altho, with the price being so low, you might wanna try it out. Otherwise, it seems like a good buy.
I think it should fit you fairly well. I'm not sure about the mods, but otherwise it'll do you fine. You'll probably need that distortion pedal to push it to the higher gain sounds though.
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to try the amp before I buy, that would make everything a lot simplier though . Also I'm not too concerned about the volume being not loud enough, I'm just worried it might be too much for home use.
hell yeah, get it, and get it with the mods dude. Eminence speakers are nice. And the only reason for changing out tubes is ethier becuase the old tubes went bad, or the new tubes sounded better.

Go for it.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
That is an absolutely cracking deal! go for it. The speaker change is a plus imo, can't comment on the tubes change though. as for the tube tamer - probably an attenuetor of some sort - if i were you i'd ditch it.

On a cautious note though classic 30#s don't really do high gain, more of a mid-gain. but at that price you can always resell it for more
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
also remember, when you get the amp, turn it on standby for about 5-10 minutes before each play session. You dont want to turn on a tube amp and go right to playin, you wanna let them warm up a little.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Great! Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll go for it, and keep the mods. Just one thing, would 30 watts be unreasonable for quiet home practice?
I think those upgrades are fine and that sounds like a good price. I just sold mine for $300. The C30 has a good clean channel and is a good platform for putting pedals in front. I'd go for it but you pedals to handle all your distortion needs. The gain channel on the C30 is not going to cover it.

I can't tell you much about the Private Jack, but maybe you could offer a few extra bucks and get the old tubes and speaker thrown in. The Tube Tamer is a good idea because tube rattle is an occasional issue with this amp. I had mine on a tilted stand and that made the rattle worse.

You can run the amp as quiet as you want. Any amp with post and pre gain is capable of this. If you use pedals for distortion then any amp can be run quiet.
Last edited by fly135 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by doive
That is an absolutely cracking deal! go for it. The speaker change is a plus imo, can't comment on the tubes change though. as for the tube tamer - probably an attenuetor of some sort - if i were you i'd ditch it.

On a cautious note though classic 30#s don't really do high gain, more of a mid-gain. but at that price you can always resell it for more

a tube tamer keeps the tubes from rattling, which is a problem for classic 30's. ditching it would be teh st00pidz. If you don't know, don't post.

The speaker and tubes as said are good upgrades. buying without trying can be a problem tho. Can the guy do a demo video for you and post it on youtube or email it to you? That may be a way to go when all else fails...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^^ Hmm, that could be worth a try, thanks, I'll see if I can arrange something along those lines.

@ Fly135
Thanks, that was really helpful , I'm than happy to use my rat for distortion, so thats fine, its mainly the cleans I'm concerned about as long as the amp works well with pedals. How did the amp sound when overdriven? And do you thing that using the Rat as the only distortion pedal would achieve high enough gains? Just out of interest, what made you sell your one? Thanks
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Jul 31, 2009,
The rat in front of the clean would be a good match actually. fly knows what he is talking about.
i would go for it, but see if you can find a way to hear a C30 with the stock speaker (maybe a youtube vid?) and then test it out with the new speaker

i think your pedal should be enough for what you're playing
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view