How are these guitars? Are they better than the rg2550z s out today? I might trade one for my guitar since i like ibanez better. What is the difference between years of production? If you guys can give me a general idea, I would be happy.
550s are verrrryyy niiiiiccceeeee, id go for the 550, but the 2550 is really good too
550>2550z overall
Thats what i thought so. But i see rg550s go for very cheap like 300 dollars simetimes. Why is that?
they're cheap because they're old and out of production. there are a few things people would call outdated features (like a solid maple neck, instead of 3 piece neck for extra support) but in all honesty the old solid maple neck has a much better feel to it, i think anyway...

anyway RG550 and 570's are cheap just because they're old, but you'll get more out of those than most of the things ibanez has made recently. not that ibanez doesn't make great stuff anymore (i've owned tons of their new stuff) but i'd take an old RG550 over a newer RG2550 prestige any day.

you can find some seriously good deals on some old ibanez guitars out there.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
you can find some seriously good deals on some old ibanez guitars out there.

+1.. just got an RG7620 for $420 a few days ago. Lo-pro bridge, nice 1 piece wizard neck, Japanese made, brand new. They're regarded as a better instrument than the Prestige RG1527 that it replaced, though I can't say for sure because I haven't played it.
Quote by REPOMAN
+1.. just got an RG7620 for $420 a few days ago. Lo-pro bridge, nice 1 piece wizard neck, Japanese made, brand new. They're regarded as a better instrument than the Prestige RG1527 that it replaced, though I can't say for sure because I haven't played it.

i envy you with a passion, lol i hate being lefty too >.<
Finding a used RG550 for a cheap price is pretty hard. Been looking for one, but only finding RG570's, which are the same with no pick guard, for around $300-$450
How are the 550s? They're a paragon, any year at all.

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
they're cheap because they're old and out of production. there are a few things people would call outdated features (like a solid maple neck, instead of 3 piece neck for extra support) but in all honesty the old solid maple neck has a much better feel to it, i think anyway...

If you're implying that 2000s have a one-piece neck, then mine begs to differ:
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
my fault. i wasn't sure when they started putting the 3 piece necks into production. so basically with a 2000 you'll get a more rigid neck, and the all access neck joint. mine's got a one piece maple neck and a big squared off neck heel, but it's a '93 model. no matter what, you're getting a quality guitar that's solid enough to drop off a moving truck (don't recommend it)

Quote by Ghold125
Finding a used RG550 for a cheap price is pretty hard. Been looking for one, but only finding RG570's, which are the same with no pick guard, for around $300-$450

i love my RG570. i hated the plain look at first, but now i'd have a hard time trading it for an RG550 (even though 550's always sell for more). generally the same guitar, except that most 550's had all maple necks, and the 570's normally had a rosewood fretboard and no pickguard.

and something i completely forgot about before: when you're buying a used ibanez there's a big chance you'll be getting upgraded pickups too. i think 95% of the ibanez's floating around on ebay have had their stock's upgraded to real dimarzios. the IBZ pickups ibanez uses are ok, but have a horrible reputation and aren't all they could be (even though they are USA made dimarzios made just for ibanez)
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Aug 1, 2009,
I dont understand it. Even they are old, why are they so cheap. you say they are better than rg2550z s so they should have been more expensive.
Depreciation of value of guitars. Since someone has owned it and presumably damaged it slightly the value of the guitar drops and not many people like buying old guitars compared to something brand new.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
my fault. i wasn't sure when they started putting the 3 piece necks into production. so basically with a 2000 you'll get a more rigid neck, and the all access neck joint. mine's got a one piece maple neck and a big squared off neck heel, but it's a '93 model. no matter what, you're getting a quality guitar that's solid enough to drop off a moving truck (don't recommend it)
Word up. All my 5x0s in the past had one-piece necks and were solid and easy to work on. As long as you keep those 12s away from the original Wizard.

It's also worth mentioning that a 550 in "like new" condition won't be anything like cheap. 550s generally have great residual value, and as a result are very overpriced compared to 570s, but you can still snatch a deal every now and then.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
So guys should i go for a clean 2000 model rg550 with maple fretboard and with dimarzio tonezone and air norton plus some money and give a ltd h-1001 deluxe? I really need a thinner neck and passive pickups. Ltd h-1001 deluxe is new but i bought it half the price which i could normally buy from my country. the prices are really different since i live in turkey but normally a h-1001 deluxe is 1500 dollars but i bought it for 800. The rg550 goes for 800-900 dollars here used and the pickups are like 120 dollars and i get 200-300 dollars more. should i trade it that way?
Quote by blind.quardian
So guys should i go for a clean 2000 model rg550 with maple fretboard and with dimarzio tonezone and air norton plus some money and give a ltd h-1001 deluxe? I really need a thinner neck and passive pickups. Ltd h-1001 deluxe is new but i bought it half the price which i could normally buy from my country. the prices are really different since i live in turkey but normally a h-1001 deluxe is 1500 dollars but i bought it for 800. The rg550 goes for 800-900 dollars here used and the pickups are like 120 dollars and i get 200-300 dollars more. should i trade it that way?

Can you play it and find out if you like it more? I'd do it in a second personally, but I love RGs, and you get extra money out of the deal which makes it that much better. That's an awesome pickup combination that you're getting too.

I vote that you do it
So guys i have one more question to ask. Is there any difference between rg550 to rg550? Sometimes i see cheap ones and sometimes i see they go for more... Is there big difference between production years? Is an 2000 model a good year to choose? Also how is the floyd rose on that rg550?
Theres really no big difference to the reissues that came out recently to the old ones. Ibanez is pretty consistent with their japanese made guitars. As long as its an RG5## and up its a great instrument with a great trem
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by blind.quardian
So guys i have one more question to ask. Is there any difference between rg550 to rg550? Sometimes i see cheap ones and sometimes i see they go for more... Is there big difference between production years? Is an 2000 model a good year to choose? Also how is the floyd rose on that rg550?

The originals (87-91) had a square heel and a one-piece neck, the 20th reissues from 07 have a square heel, but a new reinforced neck. Other than those models, the 550 would have AANJ. Bridges are Edge, with the exception of 92-95 when they had LoPro. Both trem options are stellar.

Prices go up wildly if you go for the red or yellow models, or the fairly rare purple stuff from the mid-90s. Maple on black 550s are the most affordable ones generally.
The RG is a very nice guitar- just watch out for the quality in some of the older Ibanezes. For speed, its hard to beat the thin wizard style neck. Personally, I find the LTD's to be lacking... but that can just be me
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
The RG is a very nice guitar- just watch out for the quality in some of the older Ibanezes. For speed, its hard to beat the thin wizard style neck. Personally, I find the LTD's to be lacking... but that can just be me

What do you mean watch out for quality in older Ibanezes? I thought new ones were going downhill..
Quote by REPOMAN
What do you mean watch out for quality in older Ibanezes? I thought new ones were going downhill..

I've just noticed that their midrange model lineup has been lacking in the quality department for a while. Their higher end stuff is still excellent... I just feel that for the price there are some better options. Of course if the guitar makes them happy go for it.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

sorry for the double post- but this is a beautiful RG

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG420-Electric-Guitar?sku=501363

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
I've just noticed that their midrange model lineup has been lacking in the quality department for a while. Their higher end stuff is still excellent... I just feel that for the price there are some better options. Of course if the guitar makes them happy go for it.

anything ibanez makes in japan is worth the money or more. especially the older models. Anything that has a lotrs/lotrs2 edge pro II, edge 3 is not.
Quote by mexican_shred
anything ibanez makes in japan is worth the money or more. especially the older models. Anything that has a lotrs/lotrs2 edge pro II, edge 3 is not.

Agreed- most of their Japanese stuff is high end so its all good- my friend has a very nice JEM...plays nicely and the scalloped neck is interesting

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

550's are AWESOME
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Quote by pifty
The originals (87-91) had a square heel and a one-piece neck, the 20th reissues from 07 have a square heel, but a new reinforced neck. Other than those models, the 550 would have AANJ. Bridges are Edge, with the exception of 92-95 when they had LoPro. Both trem options are stellar.

Prices go up wildly if you go for the red or yellow models, or the fairly rare purple stuff from the mid-90s. Maple on black 550s are the most affordable ones generally.

92's Also have the big square heel Which is really really not to my liking at all.
I hear that the Prestige Ibanezes are better quality than the older MIJ guitars. Here's the description of the RG770DX on Ibanezrules:
RG770DX - Ibanez continues to bring back it's most popular models from it's golden era. The new Limited Edition 770 recreates the originals but with the same structural upgrades the RG550XX's had, the original Wizard neck modernized with the addition of dual titanium rods to aids in neck stability, and non extended fretboard solid heel. Absolutely true to the originals, and exactly like the RG550XX's, these are not Prrestige. They are MIJ but the fretboard edge and fret ends have not been finished to Prestige standard. The good thing is these are bound necks which means I can do the modifications without disturbing the clearcoated maple board. Limited to 250 pieces of each color to the US.

And the pickups on the RG2550Z don't suck. They're actual Dimarzios that are specially made for Ibanez. Here's the description for the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups from the Dimarzio site:
DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups
The DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups in the Ibanez RG2120 and RG2570EX are specifically designed and manufactured by DiMarzio® for Ibanez, and they are not available separately. Like all DiMarzio® pickups, they are made in our New York factory. Both neck and bridge pickups are high-output models. The neck pickup is fairly bright-sounding, similar to a Super 2™ (DP104). The bridge pickup is a little louder and warmer-sounding, and resembles a cross between the Steve Morse Bridge Model™ (DP200) and the Super Distortion® (DP100). The R1 single-coil is warmer-sounding than a typical vintage single-coil, and was designed to work well with the neck and bridge humbuckers when they are in split mode. It has a sound similar to that of the HS-2™ in split-coil mode.

I would say go with the RG2550Z because of the trem too. I don't think I can ever be happy with a non ZPS trem after playing the Edge Zero.
^ Prestige does have a bunch of perks over common fare MIJ models, but then a new 2550 is twice the price of your average 550.

Quote by azn_guitarist25
92's Also have the big square heel
You're absolutely right! I keep forgetting how old my square heel 570 was, and now that I thought about it, she was a '92.

Not even legal drinking age.
Quote by pifty
You're absolutely right! I keep forgetting how old my square heel 570 was, and now that I thought about it, she was a '92.

Not even legal drinking age.

Legal drinking age over here is 18 FTW! Nothing beats waking up in the morning and having a beer...unless you just brushed your teeth at which point it's just disgusting
Quote by JELIFISH19
I hear that the Prestige Ibanezes are better quality than the older MIJ guitars. Here's the description of the RG770DX on Ibanezrules:
RG770DX - Ibanez continues to bring back it's most popular models from it's golden era. The new Limited Edition 770 recreates the originals but with the same structural upgrades the RG550XX's had, the original Wizard neck modernized with the addition of dual titanium rods to aids in neck stability, and non extended fretboard solid heel. Absolutely true to the originals, and exactly like the RG550XX's, these are not Prrestige. They are MIJ but the fretboard edge and fret ends have not been finished to Prestige standard. The good thing is these are bound necks which means I can do the modifications without disturbing the clearcoated maple board. Limited to 250 pieces of each color to the US.

And the pickups on the RG2550Z don't suck. They're actual Dimarzios that are specially made for Ibanez. Here's the description for the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups from the Dimarzio site:
DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups
The DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups in the Ibanez RG2120 and RG2570EX are specifically designed and manufactured by DiMarzio® for Ibanez, and they are not available separately. Like all DiMarzio® pickups, they are made in our New York factory. Both neck and bridge pickups are high-output models. The neck pickup is fairly bright-sounding, similar to a Super 2™ (DP104). The bridge pickup is a little louder and warmer-sounding, and resembles a cross between the Steve Morse Bridge Model™ (DP200) and the Super Distortion® (DP100). The R1 single-coil is warmer-sounding than a typical vintage single-coil, and was designed to work well with the neck and bridge humbuckers when they are in split mode. It has a sound similar to that of the HS-2™ in split-coil mode.

I would say go with the RG2550Z because of the trem too. I don't think I can ever be happy with a non ZPS trem after playing the Edge Zero.

The old MIJ might as well been prestige. Theres hardly a noticeable difference in my '05 1570 to my '93 570 or '95 770. Playability wise they are the same. I prefer the lo pro to the edge pro. but edge pro to the edge but thats just preference.

The IBZ are alright pickups. i still have the old stock F4, F2 and c3 in my 770. Though some dims would sound better, they are 100% useable and sound fine through a decent amp.

Im begining to love my edge zero. a very nice bridge. Getting up there to my lo pro love