i want to start getting some good, well, better, quality recordings.
i'm thinking about getting this laptop (one of the mini ones, yes.)

this condenser microphone

and this mixer

my friend has cakewalk... is that a good recording program?

would that computer be good enough to record with??
i want to record vocals, and acoustic guitar at the same time...
i have an acoustic electric,

so would that mic work, and would it work for playing live??

thanks for the help! =]

also,
i have a epi valve jr halfstack...
would that mixer work with that cab for vocals when playing live??
The computer is a bit less than ideal, but seeing as how you would only be recording two tracks at once, it should be fine. Cakewalk is deffinatly a solid program and should suit your needs just fine.

You could use the mic for playing live, but you will find that condenser mics tend to be super sensitive and pick up everything. Plus, they aren't as durable as dynamic mics. However, their performance in the studio is generally far suppirior to dynamic mics. If your just doing an acoustic performance, you should have no problems using the mic live (for solo acoustic performances, I find condenser mics to be better than dynamics).

I'm not sure about what you're saying about the mixer and the cab. What do you mean by will the mixer "work" with the cab for vocals?
Quote by muckypup
It could work dude. You seem to have posted quite a few threads here recently, are you new to recording?

wel, not really..

i guess a little.

up to now, i have recorded all my songs with a digital camera.
i just want a half-decent setup...
take a look at my songs?
theres a link in my sig.

"of sunsets and silhouettes"

i guess i'm new to recording with actual recording gear, yes..
Quote by TonyRandall
well, basically,

if i plugged the mic into that mixer and then into that cab would it work? like as a PA.

I'm guessing you don't have much experience with live set-ups either. Using a guitar cab as a PA speaker is FAR from ideal. In fact, it would not word at all unless you had a powered mixer, which wouldn't be that useful for recording, or added a power amp between the mixer and the cab (although your sound would still be lacking as cabs were not meant to serve as PA speakers). I believe this is what CatharsisStudio is talking about by saying it wouldn't work at all. Use actual PA speakers for live applications.
By the way, I just listened to some songs on your myspace. If most of your arrangements are like this, the set up mentioned in the first post of this thread will be just fine for your music. It has everything you need (with the exception of studio monitors, if you intend to get into mixing).
alright man.
thanks for all the help, seriously, you've been by far the most helpful user i've seen on these forums in most of my time being here.

i really appreciate it..

so get the setup that i'm thinking about getting?
Low quality mixer + low quality microphone + low quality laptop.

Interesting.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by TonyRandall
+ low quality musician...
yup.

show some confidence, boy-o
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
make the best of whatcha got. I've heard great recordings done with low budget stuff and heard garbage produced by high-dollar equipment.

"It ain't whatcha got, it's how you sling it..."

Back in the 70's we made some amazing recordings of our band in an old barn using 2 Akai reel-to-reel tape machines, an old Peavy 8 channel mixer and stereo power amp and a few Sennheiser Mic's... A lot of people were totally amazed at how good the stuff sounded.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Aug 1, 2009,