Hey i just wanted to know if anyone knows any good sites for getting free jazz sheet music to practice sight reading because i want to get really good so i can take music theory class in high school. Just if you know a site that is free and easy to use please tell me thanks a lot!!
Quote by JSX
Hey i just wanted to know if anyone knows any good sites for getting free jazz sheet music to practice sight reading because i want to get really good so i can take music theory class in high school. Just if you know a site that is free and easy to use please tell me thanks a lot!!

If you want to practise sight reading i reccomend getting a book that will teach you how. Jazz is generally notated using lead sheets which just give you the chord names (D7b9 for example) without notating them on a stave.

Start easy though, practise sight reading simple melodies that you've never heard before. Then when you've gone through it a few times look up the song to check you've read it correctly.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by JSX

reading jazz charts won't prepare you for theory. Understanding theory however would allow you to understand the jazz charts. I would suggest reversing your plan of attack.

A good place to learn theory would be ...... your high school theory class.

If you want to prepare for that I would recommend....

1) getting your reading chops together (standard notation)

2) getting this book (or something similar)..... Music Theory for Dummies

3) looking through some of the articles here at UG, or other online resources.

and to answer your question.... I know of no place online that you can legally download jazz sheet music for free. But I'm sure someone else will.........
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 31, 2009,
You could...acquire a real book. They're around the internet.

Or you could buy one. I downloaded one and then ended up buying it because it's much more practical for me to have a hard copy.

and because i am not a pirate of information
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
yeah my guitar teacher has a "real book" i will consider getting one. Where did you download it from?
just buy an actual real book for 20 dollars you can take it with you instead of needing a computer, its only 20$.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"