I am planning on getting a new set of tubes for my JSX from eurotubes.com because I have heard good things about them, and was leaning toward JJs anyways. I have never replaced the tubes, but the previous owner apparently put some sovtek EL34s in. So my question is, will new tubes help these problems...

1. When I A/B'd my JSX head vs another JSX head they had at GC, my head with master vol: 7 and chan vol: 7 was as loud as their master vol:1 chan vol: 4. They suggested that a new set of tubes would correct this problem.

2. Harsh tone

One more question, my cab has both a 16ohm input and a 4ohm input, are there benefits of using one over the other (I am currently using the 4 ohm)

edit: since the JSX can use both EL34s and 6l6s, would a change to 6l6s help the harsh tone?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Jul 31, 2009,
Old tubes can cause volume loss. Some people say that 16ohms is better than 4ohms. The guys at GC seem to be right, I'd go for new tubes.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Tube change sounds about right. Try some kt88's or 6l6 from bob over at eurotubes. You'll hear a big difference compared to the Sovtek el 34's

Edit : i see your at TAMU as well. awesome
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
JJ 6L6's are dark sounding power tubes, however I don't have much experience with their EL34's.....

I am gonna agree though that it sounds like a power tube issue. I would ask doug from dougstubes though. Email him and ask for some suggestions on which tubes you should go with. He will definitely point you in the right direction, and quickly too.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Thanks for the info guys, i'm looking into those tubes. I never even thought about the kt88s, I have never heard much about them.

And mexican_shred, I just sent you a friend invite, Gig 'em.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
Thanks for the info guys, i'm looking into those tubes. I never even thought about the kt88s, I have never heard much about them.

And mexican_shred, I just sent you a friend invite, Gig 'em.

im running the kt88's in my jsx combo right now and really liking them. From my original tubes i went to the Sovtek El34's, but thought it was too much of a mid punch for the jsx. Went to the JJ 6l6's next. good swap. Better bass response.
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by mexican_shred
Tube change sounds about right. Try some kt88's or 6l6 from bob over at eurotubes. You'll hear a big difference compared to the Sovtek el 34's

Edit : i see your at TAMU as well. awesome
You can't just pop in KT88s unless you're positive your amp's PT has the juice for them. Otherwise you're looking a blown out amp. Also they are huge, and you need to make sure that your amp can even fit them.

Second, I take it that when you A/B'ed you plugged your JSX into the same cab that the floor model was plugged into?

People really overrate the effects of a tube swap sometimes...
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by al112987
don't just pop in KT88s unless you're positive your amp's PT has the juice for them. Otherwise you're looking a blown out amp.

Second, I take it that when you A/B'ed you plugged your JSX into the same cab that the floor model was plugged into?

People really overrate the effects of a tube swap sometimes...

Yea i forgot to mention i took it to a tech to get it modified for it. Thanks for the catch.

The jsx PT can take the el34's 6l6's and kt77's without a mod

Edit: If you dont want to have it modded then the 6l6's and kt77's are what you might want to look at. kt77's are like an extension of el34's but with more low end
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 31, 2009,

yea, same cab.

Edit: If you dont want to have it modded then the 6l6's and kt77's are what you might want to look at. kt77's are like an extension of el34's but with more low end

I will look into the kt77s, iv'e heard the 6l6s are really bassy, which doesnt sound like what im going for.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M