The speakers in my car recently stopped working, as in the just don't produce sound. Occasionally they will work for about half a minute and then cut out. Also for awhile some speakers worked and others didn't (this produced a very strange mix). I've accepted that I need to shell out for some new speakers as the old ones are likely horrible quality. So my questions to the pit are, could it also be a wiring problem and does anyone know how I could check this? and: How difficult is it to install speakers on my own? Should I just pay the likely somewhat rediculous amount of money to have someone else install them?
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
probz just a lose wire thats come lose from the vibrations
i dont think it would be hard just a case of cutting them out and soldering new ones in?

my bro has a big subwoofer and a amp that he bought ages ago and still havnt used it i dno why
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Since some of your favorite guitarists listed Friedman, Malmsteen and Becker I'm going to assume your speakers simply imploded upon themselves due to the unholy strain caused by the ka-billion notes per second facemelting solo's. So no, not a wiring problem...
Sounds like? - "A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU"RE LISTENING TO ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW!"
- Steel Panther
Do you know anything at all about cars? If so, I'll guess you can try to install them yourself. Then again, I really don't know anything about cars, so my advice might not be the best.

But as ryand111 says, it might just be a wiring problem. Which is, according to my father's old car, totally fixable by yourself.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

check the speaker connections first before you pull the dash apart. but if you have to it a pretty simple snap off, a couple screws, check the wiring harness is tight then put it back together. if its a Ford then you'll a special U tool to remove the stereo, but a cut coat hanger will work

I used to install them for people extra cash in highschool
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Last edited by Bair at Jul 31, 2009,
If you have to ask other people if they think you can [insert random activity], the answer is probably no.

Have someone who knows what they're doing install them.
check the wiring. since they only work sometimes, its almost gotta be a short or a loose connection somewhere. i would check into that first before going through all the bother of buying new speakers.
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
I blew my speakers from playing loud music and one of them just stopped working completely... a few weeks later i was playing music and i turned it up to full volume, (i hadnt done this before cuz it was way too loud) and the broken speaker all of a sudden burst into life again, and spewed out loud metal to my delighted ears =]
Go to Fry's electronics, they have good prices, and they do a good job, they know what there doing.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Quote by ryand111
probz just a lose wire thats come lose from the vibrations
i dont think it would be hard just a case of cutting them out and soldering new ones in?

my bro has a big subwoofer and a amp that he bought ages ago and still havnt used it i dno why

English... please learn it.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
If you have to ask other people if they think you can [insert random activity], the answer is probably no.

Have someone who knows what they're doing install them.

This seems like a good life motto, I shall remember it. Thank you for your wisdom.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
I have no idea dude. I mean I blast my music in my car, but my speakers never blow out.

Just research before you buy anything, thats all I can say

edit:

Quote by thedefrockednun
Go to pimp my ride.

actually, do this
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Have you matched up the speakers and the amp, and is it properly connected to the car battery? Are you using a capacitor the right way round, to allow it to store up current required for pushing out the really low bass frequencies? In other words, have you actually gone about things in an educated way, or just thrown together random equipment and are now wondering why it won't work properly?

Edit: Wait, I think I misunderstood. On a second read through, I realised you were presumably on about the car's stock sound system. In this case, do you know how to do all the above? If not, seek advice/a professional.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jul 31, 2009,
Congrats, you melted your voice coils. With your metalz

No voice coil = no circuit.

course, there's the possibility that I'm wrong, but take them out, and inspect them yourself.
GTFO my sig