My bass guitar is an Ibanez Sr 700, i just bought some new ernie ball strings for it.
So the gauges were too high so i shaved a lil bit off the peice at the end of the neck that feeds the strings through.

(The nut i beleive, i dunno the peice of plastic or whatever right at the end of the neck. where the headstock is. the peice that the strings fit in. and feed them down the fretboard.)

Now my G string (55 guage) now makes kind of a palm muted but loud more of a thump than anything, im wondering how do you fix that?
Im not that much of a noob at guitar i've been playing for about 3 years now.
I just know that basics but i know that that string sounds like it came from walmart.
Last edited by Saldrias at Aug 2, 2009,
Don't make fun of walmarts strings. I am sponsored by walmart, first act, and squire and i know quality. I like to mix it up with E and A strings from walmart and D and G came on my first act bass. It iz super epic. but i had to put on a squire head stock. Just makes it coolerz
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
well what you should have done is lower the action at the bridge. shaving down the nut can be tricky. i suggest taking it to get checked out by a professional. oh and Rain_In_Blood, are you serious about the sponsorships?
if you shaved it too much you'll have to replace the nut. luckily nuts are cheap. I'd take it to a shop and tell them what you did(they prolly won't laugh while you're there) and have them deal with it. If you need a new nut make sure they put a graphite or bone nut in. I'd prefer bone myself.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by loudog93
well what you should have done is lower the action at the bridge. shaving down the nut can be tricky. i suggest taking it to get checked out by a professional. oh and Rain_In_Blood, are you serious about the sponsorships?

lulz no. I would kill myself if my only sponsors were squire, first act, and walmart
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
^watch the spam please.

Anytime you change your string gauge you have to do a set up. Take it to a shop, have them replace the nut and do a setup for you. Consider it a lesson learned.
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
lulz no. I would kill myself if my only sponsors were squire, first act, and walmart

If they ever offer you that sponsorship, don't shoot yourself. Send them over me, i like free stuff & free sex. And sex with walmart would be so dirty...mmm...*drolling*

And TS, not sure what you have shaved, but um...change nut? My object on neck stop working after 2am...
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Last edited by C0_0kie at Jul 31, 2009,
55 on G? That's a pretty mean gauge are you planning on doing a drop C standard or something? Anyway umm i'm assuming that you bored out the slots on the nut and most likely made it too big...so get a new nut have someone at your closest music shop bore it out correctly and install it for you then you'll be good to go
I think i did shave the nut a lil too much, and for a few songs i do a drop C type of tuning. lol
No no more like drop D.

But this is the first pair of strings i've bought.
I used to have a lighter gauge on, but it sounds decent now i fixed it a lil bit.

but ill have to buy a new nut i guess.
Just a question a nut it what leads the strings from the machine heads onto the fretboard right? the peice of plastic, metal, etc. Bone? lol!

And walmart would be a good sponsor =P
Get all them walmart girls all wet for ya :P
Quote by Revelation
if you shaved it too much you'll have to replace the nut. luckily nuts are cheap. I'd take it to a shop and tell them what you did(they prolly won't laugh while you're there) and have them deal with it. If you need a new nut make sure they put a graphite or bone nut in. I'd prefer bone myself.

Bone eh? Well, i was wondering do i have to get like a million different nuts just to have different guages? And i am going to take it to a proffesional. But i want to learn how to fix my baby myself you know? but im going to get it check out thanks for the help!!
Quote by thunderbritches
55 on G? That's a pretty mean gauge are you planning on doing a drop C standard or something? Anyway umm i'm assuming that you bored out the slots on the nut and most likely made it too big...so get a new nut have someone at your closest music shop bore it out correctly and install it for you then you'll be good to go

what kind of guage would sound good for a drop D and standard type of tuning?
Quote by Saldrias
what kind of guage would sound good for a drop D and standard type of tuning?

Mediums, 45-105 if you tune to E standard first for a bit and then Drop D then the low D string will feel lose so you have to be careful about that.

Really it depends on how much tension you like, some people say you can use .115 gauge strings for drop C or C standard but i use .125's .... thats just me
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Aug 2, 2009,
Nuts are plenty cheap if you get pre-slotted ones on eBay. Getting a nut slotted from a blank, however, ain't.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I beleive thats the guages i had before, i like it more loose for my feel of the bass. just not too loose, so ill try out 50's next time thanks for the help mate.
So, i'd have to prolly pay a lil more to get em slotted by the repair guys right?
Slottings around here run ~$60. If people chime in with "it's only $35 around here!" they're missing the point because pre-slotted nuts are $8 on eBay.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Slottings around here run ~$60. If people chime in with "it's only $35 around here!" they're missing the point because pre-slotted nuts are $8 on eBay.

Well...I dont think i can get it off ebay, maybe i could. but you know.
That'll take a while and a lot of paperwork. sooo i'd rather do it somewhere else (Y)
But sounds good if i had a credit card