I was looking at electric guitars and I am overwhelmed by the variety. I have 3 criterion that really matter to me.

Okay, I used to have different criterion here, but now there are 3 things I know that I want.

Floyd Rose, 24 frets, and 2 Humbucking pickups.

I am also thinking of a Roland cube 60 amp, because that was the only thing at my local guitar dealers that actually sounds alright within my price range.

Guitars I am considering:

Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Aug 3, 2009,
For sound the most important the amp is.

If you want crazy shapes, look at B.C Rich guitars. If you want something what's not crazy, but a bit more modern, take a look at Jackson, LTD and Ibanez guitars. If you want to go the more traditional way, there are the Epiphone LPs, SGs, but also Flying Vs and Explorers.

24 frets that aren't rare, but as far I know there are no Epiphones with 24 frets.

If you want to find out something about a guitar's playability, play it yourself.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
What amp do you have? Most of the tone comes from your amp.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I already know what amp I want, I just want to know what guitar has the best tone. And, with a little more thought, playability is just as important as tone.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Jul 31, 2009,
Which amp do you want?

It really matters because:

good guitar + good amp = good sound
bad guitar + good amp = good sound
good guitar + bad amp = bad sound
bad guitar + bad amp = epic fail
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
A good amp is more important than a good guitar. But, i suggest looking at ESPs. An LTD EX-400 seems like its a good fit for you. EMG active pickups, which are pretty good for playing metal, crazy explorer-ish body, all for around $500. And you wont have to replace the pickups.
Previously stated by me in this post:
[url]http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150R-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480945[/url] is the amp I want.  I am just looking at guitars for now.

I am no longer looking at this amp, after several people telling me it is a bad idea.
Quote by pokeatthedevil

If you want good sound, look for a tube amp.
BTW, why would you want to get that amp?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
+1 to the Xiphos, and also check out some Jackson dk2's, and Ibanez RG's, such as the rg5ex1, or maybe something like an SAS32(or 36)EX.

And about that amp, do you really need a 150w 2x2 IBANEZ combo? Do you gig?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
pretty much any jackson ibanez or LTD will work perfectly
Agile 725 7 string w/Blackouts (new paint too)
Jackson Soloist Professional Standard
Jackson SLSMG With Livewire Metals
Fernandes Tremor 4 string
Peavey 5150 2x12 (new tolex and re-biased)
Peavey TNT 100 1x15
Line 6 Pod XT w/FBV
Misc Junk
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe= $500 Metal guitar

And don't get that amp.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-F100FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516678
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-F250-Electric-Guitar?sku=516663

I like the way both of these look, and they are both the same brand, but should I get the top and upgrade to the pickups I want(Active DiMarzios, BTW), or get the bottom and leave the pickups as-is. What is the difference, beside some minor differences in looks and different pickups? Also, is there another guitar with the same body shape that you would recommend even more?

I am going to take your advice and look at some tube amps at my local music store, next time I go.

EDIT: Is there a way I can get a tremolo on this guitar?
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by JesusCrisp
For sound the most important the amp is.

If you want crazy shapes, look at B.C Rich guitars. If you want something what's not crazy, but a bit more modern, take a look at Jackson, LTD and Ibanez guitars. If you want to go the more traditional way, there are the Epiphone LPs, SGs, but also Flying Vs and Explorers.

24 frets that aren't rare, but as far I know there are no Epiphones with 24 frets.

If you want to find out something about a guitar's playability, play it yourself.

TS, Epiphone make a Les Paul with 24 frets , known as the LP Prophecy:
Either 81/85

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=291&CollectionID=6

or http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=292&CollectionID=6

Gibson Dirty Fingers

EDIT:
I don't know how much guitars cost where you live though.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Last edited by Quaned at Aug 1, 2009,
24 frets that aren't rare, but as far I know there are no Epiphones with 24 frets

Epiphone Tony Iommi.Black SG,cross inlays,24 frets,VERY nice pick-ups.-1 for the glossy finish though.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I've been reading about Floyd Rose tremolos, and I was wondering how badly they would screw up palm muting, which I do quite a bit of.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-F100FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516678
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-F250-Electric-Guitar?sku=516663

I like the way both of these look, and they are both the same brand, but should I get the top and upgrade to the pickups I want(Active DiMarzios, BTW), or get the bottom and leave the pickups as-is. What is the difference, beside some minor differences in looks and different pickups? Also, is there another guitar with the same body shape that you would recommend even more?

I am going to take your advice and look at some tube amps at my local music store, next time I go.

EDIT: Is there a way I can get a tremolo on this guitar?

Dimarzio make actives?

Anyway my recommendation is the Ibanez RGA42FM

Quote by pokeatthedevil
I've been reading about Floyd Rose tremolos, and I was wondering how badly they would screw up palm muting, which I do quite a bit of.

They won't screw it up at all unless you are very hard on the bridge it just requires a fine touch which you'll get used to as the more you play the guitar.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Aug 1, 2009,
^ You can still palm mute
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Haha Phil, always recommending that RGA42FM. How come? You don't own one, after all.

However, I have tried it, and I must say it is a very nice guitar, so I don't blame you for recommending it all the time. I recommend it too.
It's a great guitar for Americans, for me it's a bit too expensive to buy with the taxes and that **** but it's a great guitar and a real contender to what Schecter come up with imo.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

They won't screw it up at all unless you are very hard on the bridge it just requires a fine touch which you'll get used to as the more you play the guitar.

I was asking because I have a Fender copy(Axl SRO) and I have to palm mute without touching the strings for it to not ring sharp, or flat, depending on how far up the string I'm trying to mute(I've tried almost everything, and have concluded I need to somehow use telekinesis to mute the strings.). I don't want to have another Tremolo like that.

EDIT: I'd be able to link to the pickups if I could find them... but that would require the musicians friend server to stay up.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by pokeatthedevil
I was asking because I have a Fender copy(Axl SRO) and I have to palm mute without touching the strings for it to not ring sharp, or flat, depending on how far up the string I'm trying to mute(I've tried almost everything, and have concluded I need to somehow use telekinesis to mute the strings.). I don't want to have another Tremolo like that.

How long have you been playing for? It's pretty common for new guitar players to palm mute very heavily which is what you don't want to do on a Floyd Rose. Like you just need to rest your palm on the string just enough to deaden the strings from ringing out.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
How long have you been playing for? It's pretty common for new guitar players to palm mute very heavily which is what you don't want to do on a Floyd Rose. Like you just need to rest your palm on the string just enough to deaden the strings from ringing out.

I have been playing for a year and a half(and sucking the whole time) and have just recently got back into playing guitar for more than 2 minutes in a day. I really do not think it is how hard I am muting, I think it is that I am either not used to the sound or my tremolo is too sensitive. I was exaggerating how hard it is to palm mute. It does take me a while to get right and keep it that way.

EDIT: Crap... in an earlier post I said DiMarzio actives. I meant activators, and here are the links to the pickups.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP221-D-Activator-X-Humbucker-Neck-Pickup?sku=340011
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP222-D-Activator-X-Humbucker-Bridge-Pickup?sku=340012
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Aug 1, 2009,
Stop worrying about the guitar. Seriously. Look into getting a new amp. I've played a Squier Strat through a decent tube amp (and I mean on of the really cheap, low quality Squiers). That combo sounded way better to me then a $1500 ESP running through a digital amp. Do not buy that Ibanez amp - for that price, you can get a decent 60W tube amp. That will make just about any guitar sound much better. Trust our advice. If you're looking to change your sound, it's the amp, not the guitar, you'll want to change.
New amp. Don't think about a guitar if you're gonan buy trash like that (amp)
I get it, I need to look at tube amps. Maybe I will be able to tomorrow. But that doesn't change the fact that I still want a new guitar... I still want something that looks awesome(Not seafoam green, like my current guitar). I think I may have stated earlier that I was thinking of upgrading both.
http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/category.aspx?SID=1&Category_ID=295&Page=2

There are some nice Schecter C-1 models on this page for less than normal finishes. I got a Tribal Amber C-1+, in real life it looks quite badass. I replaced the pickups a while back, though.
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
Quote by JAHellraiser
^ You can still palm mute

+1, also quite easily, I learned on a Floyd, so I feel like I have better technique when I play on a hardtail.

Also -12391 to you Ibanez amp, get a nice small tube amp. I'm pretty sure theres a $100 tube amp on MF.

For guitar, I would suggest waiting until you have a tube amp.
Sorry to bump this thread up, but my local music stores do not carry any decent tubes within my price range. I was, however, amazed at the sound of a Roland Cube 60. Are there any huge problems with this amp?

EDIT: They had a slightly bigger one(which my dad talked me into looking at), I think it was an 80 watt. I didn't try it, but noticed it had 2 more knobs. The owner said he could give it to me for $350. Does this one sound any different than the 60?
The Floyd won't mess up palm muting- just ask Slayer. Anywho, putting a Floyd Rose in that guitar would require work that is both costly and invasive. If that guitar doesn't suit your needs with its features, than don't buy it. There are other perfectly fine "metal" guitars that will suit your needs and budget without the hassle of routing into the body.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
lol @ the Ibanez amp. And get a Schecter C-1. I can't remember if the one with the Original Floyd Rose trem is over 500 bucks, but if it is, it's not by a lot.
Page is updated, hopefully I can get some amp information, too. Is there any amp that I absolutely should go online and order instead of the Roland Cube 60?