5what is it called when a chord is like this
x
Last edited by perfectchaos23 at Jul 31, 2009,
Those are octaves
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
im talking about the one on the d string you have a note fretted and the g string muted with the b string note fretted are you sure thats an octave
An A note and E note, so, yeah, it's A5
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
ha oh yeah my bad its an A5. If you want to be all gay and technical it actually is not a chord because there is no implied third.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I think people are getting stuff mixed up here...

The first thing you asked was what this is:

x

Although I think what you were thinking of is this:

x

Which would be an 'octave', since the 5 and the 7 are the same note with the 7 one octave higher. In this case you would want to mute the middle string, which is what the 'x' means.

However, I think some people have missunderstood the question but are correct in telling you that this...

...is basically the same as your standard power chord (or fifth chord), though it is missing the extra 7 that would complete it.
seems a waste to play an A5 (power chord) like that. it would be easier to add the third (or minor 3rd) and complete the chord. But yes, it is an A5 power chord and can be played with 7th fret on D string, 9th fret on G sting, and will sound the same.
Quote by DirtyMakik
...Clerks ref goes *here*... will edit when I find the proper one...

Quote by BassGoddess
*clicks lighter and offers flame*