I feel like a noob asking this but if you get a guitar with locking strings does it have to have a whammy bar?
Nope, but I think a lot of people will agree with me that it's pretty silly to have a locking nut without a whammy.
well if you have a place to stick a whammy bar stick one on it couldnt hurt
Rocking the world
One solo at a time
Yes. One with fine tuners. Unless you want to be out of tune all the time.
That is for locking NUTS.
It doesn't need one for locking TUNERS.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by sw1ss023
Yes. One with fine tuners. Unless you want to be out of tune all the time.
That is for locking NUTS.
It doesn't need one for locking TUNERS.

are locking tuners just as good?
Quote by whispertherock
are locking tuners just as good?

I would think so, but don't quote me. I've never played a guitar with locking tuners and a floyd, just locking nuts. But it's pretty much the same principle.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
locking tuners don't actually keep the strings in tune any more than a normal tuning machine. what they do is make string changes a LOT easier. they won't actually lock the strings at all as far as tuning stability goes.

hard to explain without actually holding one in my hand, but basically you feed a string through a locking tuner, tighten down the screw on the back, then tune up. it'll hold the string so that you don't have to wind the string around the post more than once really.

they work great, but as far as i know they won't actually lock strings as far as tuning goes. try to go to a store and ask about them, i always thought they could replace a locking nut, but after owning an SG with locking tuners i know they're nothing like what i thought. they are very cool little upgrades for your guitar, though