I'm really at loss as to where this thread should go....sorry if it's in the wrong place!

Just a quick question here regarding vocals, when i record my vocals using a recording device with a built in mic and when i just sing live with a crap mic going through an amp, is it normal that the two methods will produce very different results?

Basically i'm not sure which one is my 'real' voice, the one that has been recorded, or the one that's coming out of the amp? (i greatly prefer the live one as apposed to the recorded one).

Do you think if i got a decent mic (by decent i mean cheap, and by cheap i mean a shure sm58 lol) it would make a whole lot of difference to the vocals?

I'm a little tired so apologies if the thread is a bit unorganised!

Thanks alot.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
Quote by M_G
I'm really at loss as to where this thread should go....sorry if it's in the wrong place!

Just a quick question here regarding vocals, when i record my vocals using a recording device with a built in mic and when i just sing live with a crap mic going through an amp, is it normal that the two methods will produce very different results?

Basically i'm not sure which one is my 'real' voice, the one that has been recorded, or the one that's coming out of the amp? (i greatly prefer the live one as apposed to the recorded one).

Do you think if i got a decent mic (by decent i mean cheap, and by cheap i mean a shure sm58 lol) it would make a whole lot of difference to the vocals?

I'm a little tired so apologies if the thread is a bit unorganised!

Thanks alot.

Thats normal,
every microphone has a different sound, and this is tempered further by the preamps and converters in the device. and neither of those situations are your "real" voice, they are both coloured dramatically.

the sm58 is a great mic and every vocalist should have one. but the main problem with the "live" setup is the guitar amp that you are running it through.
trust me, i've done this before when i was young and poor, it will never sound good. guitar amps just aren't built for that job.