I'm at the point where really there's nothing else for me to work on besides speed which everyone and their grandma has told me not to do, so I'm down to just learning songs in order to keep improving.

My question is, should I choose songs I can play at full speed decently soon, or should I choose songs that are way out of my range to play at full speed and just play them slowly and clean as a means to challenge myself and eventually be able to play them? Obviously either one would come with a bit of the other... I just don't know which to focus on.

Another option I was thinking of would be focusing on making my own stuff up, just learning some songs for techniques and ideas along the way.
Last edited by Eag1e at Jul 31, 2009,
If you're at the point where speed is the only "improvement" to make, then doodle with your own material a bit. But, if you must keep speeding up, go for the songs that you think are "way out of your range."
Quote by Thomas P. Jones
If you're at the point where speed is the only "improvement" to make, then doodle with your own material a bit. But, if you must keep speeding up, go for the songs that you think are "way out of your range."

What I meant was that besides using a metronome and trying to speed myself up that way, I've really got nothing else to do, and just doing scales and arpeggios for warm-up and and then working on chord changes every time I sit down [my chord changes aren't overly fast yet, which leads back to the speed improvement]. I also am not overly fluent at playing actual things that go across strings yet. Not that speed was the only improvement I can make. But both of those go back to songs.
Quote by Eag1e
What I meant was that besides using a metronome and trying to speed myself up that way, I've really got nothing else to do, and just doing scales and arpeggios for warm-up and and then working on chord changes every time I sit down [my chord changes aren't overly fast yet, which leads back to the speed improvement]. I also am not overly fluent at playing actual things that go across strings yet. Not that speed was the only improvement I can make. But both of those go back to songs.

Keep doing that, and learn songs that are out of your immediate ability of playing. Learning something that you can play fluently within an hour or two wont do much for your ability, but spending a few days on something will really, really help you play songs.