I am looking to purchase a new guitar for a total beginner... in the past I owned an Epiphone Les Paul for a short time and was learning the very basics when circumstances forced me to get rid of the guitar. I really like the simplicity of the Fender Standard Telecaster (I can only afford the Mexican version). I hope to play various types of music someday, such as blues, classic rock and some metal, but right now I am most concerned with getting a decent guitar for learning. I will probably be buying from Guitar Center as it's the closest music store in my town. They have a special right now that I can get a Srat or Tele plus a Fender Frontman amp for $499. Last time I bought, I kind of got talked into more of a package than I could afford or even understood. Any advice so I don't make a mistake is appreciated! I could probably go as much as $600 without the wife getting on my case too much... I know it's not a lot, but it's a lot to me right now. THANKS!
Split your budget in half for the guitar and amp. Do NOT go with the Frontman, it sounds terrible. Go used and you would get even more valuable gear.
dont go by price or looks go by feel and sound. the right guitar can be made to sounfd like anything. in the future if you start buying a hell of a lot of guitars, you'll learn price doesn't mean ****
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
get what im about to get

an agile guitar
although you cant try them out since you have to purchase online, theyre real good guitars from what i hear and excelent customer service

and then the rest you can have ot buy yourself a good amp for lets say 300$ if you spend 300 on a guitar( which will get you one very good guitar from agile)

and dont buy a frontman
those are some really beginner amps that youll grow out of pretty soon so not worth it
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
Quote by glam rocker
get what im about to get

an agile guitar
although you cant try them out since you have to purchase online, theyre real good guitars from what i hear and excelent customer service

This whole thing right here... You've never tried one and he won't be able to try one out either... It's best to go with something you can check out yourself, TS.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Split your budget in half for the guitar and amp. Do NOT go with the Frontman, it sounds terrible. Go used and you would get even more valuable gear.

yeah frontmans are horrible. I had one for like a year and than i sold it to my friend for 70 bucks. Got an MG, which a lot of people here rag on but I don't have a problem with MGs would I rather have a Vox Tube amp? Yeah but Just gotta see what suits you.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
My first guitar was a squier showmaster, strat. and my first amp was a 15 watt roland cube. Both ****in rule, lasted me for 3 years. the squier has been bashed to **** and it still sounds mad. and the amp is sturdy and light with 4 different distortion channels, and its loud enough to keep up with a drumkit. I mainly use it to play stuff like led zeppelin, aerosmith, hendrix......but it isnt a metal guitar, usually ill use my sg or jackson to play the heavier stuff.

Price was roughly $1100 aud.
you could try some squiers and get a good amp with the rest of the money
Squiers are great begginer guitars, some people complain about that but there are really great squiers like the "Classic Vibe" series
if you wanna play Rock, Blues and some metal
i suggest a Vox Valvetronix VT Series
Hola.
Classic Vibe Squier and Vox VT30 or Superchamp XD, then haggle them to get you under $600.