Could you guys help me solve this using the Addition/Subtraction method, and show me how to do it step by step:

3.45x + 1.63y = 7.64
2.44x - 5.83y = -6.57

Your options are:
A, (1.40, 1.71)
B, (1.37, 1.79)
C, (1.32, 1.84)
D, (1.46, 1.63)

I know how to do it with the substitution method but not the addition/subtraction method as the decimals and negatives are throwing me off.

BTW: I would post this in the Science and Maths thread but people rarely reply to that and i need this soon lol (don't mean to sound rude either) but now i'm ranting.

TL;DR: solve problem above using the addition and subtraction method and show your work please

Thanks
I'm pretty sure you just add and subtract like numbers. So add and subtract all the x's, y's, and whole numbers. Then set x=0 and solve for y. Then do the same thing for y=0.

Its been years since I have done this so I may be doing it wrong.
Jeez why would you ever do it that way? Substitution is just fine.

Anyway you have 3.45x and 2.44x. Find 3.45/2.44 and multiply the second equation by that number. Now both your x coefficients should be the same. Then all you do is subtract the equations (i.e. if the first two equations are x1+y1=a and x2+y2=b, then your new one is (x1-x2)+(y1-y2)=a-b, but since x1=x2, you just have y).

Am I being clear enough?

EDIT: But typically you would only do this if either the x or y term in each equation shared coefficients, then you wouldn't have to do any multiplying or dividing.
Last edited by Timothym at Jul 31, 2009,
Math is for chumps. That what I told my math teacher in 11th grade before dropping her class...Then my mom made me take it as a senior :/
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Wouldn't you just add the two equations together and solve with substitution?

Edit: Like this:

3.45x + 1.63y = 7.64
+ 2.44x - 5.83y = -6.57
5.89x - 4.20y = 1.07

And then solve using substitution?
Last edited by hamett91 at Aug 2, 2009,
There's a homework help thread for this. Ah, nvme, just saw your disclaimer.
A simple way to get it in a fix is just to plug the numbers in and see which two make both equations true. Otherwise, just listen to Timothym
Quote by Timothym
Jeez why would you ever do it that way? Substitution is just fine.

Anyway you have 3.45x and 2.44x. Find 3.45/2.44 and multiply the second equation by that number. Now both your x coefficients should be the same. Then all you do is subtract the equations (i.e. if the first two equations are x1+y1=a and x2+y2=b, then your new one is (x1-x2)+(y1-y2)=a-b, but since x1=x2, you just have y).

Am I being clear enough?

EDIT: But typically you would only do this if either the x or y term in each equation shared coefficients, then you wouldn't have to do any multiplying or dividing.

yeah i mentioned in my post that i knew how to do it using substitution (don't you love it how everything sounds rude over the internet sorry)
i don't understand your edit however