Hay guys.

So, I was in GC today, helping my friend look for a new guitar. We were testing a few out and we plugged into the new Bugera 1990 head, and the sound out of it totally blew me away. I currently own a Bugera 333XL and I've had issues with it in the past, so I'm not totally willing to go with another Bugera (more of the same, perhaps?).

I've been saving up for a new amp (a Peavey 3120 is what I've had my sights on) but I kind of realized I don't need 3 channels, independent EQs, and all that jazz that the 333XL, 3120, JSX, ect... have. The sound and simplicity of the 1990 blew me away. I figured, though, due to the issues I've had with Bugeras in the past, why the hell not just go with the amp that the 1990 is a clone of, the Marshall JCM 900?

I've looked online and it became clear quickly that none of the online retailers carry JCM900s (as far as I could tell). Does Guitar Center carry JCM900s? I didn't look very hard but I couldn't locate any Marshalls at my GC other than a JVM (and the MGs, of course!). How much do they cost nowadays, anyway? A few online threads that came up in Google says around $800 new and about $500 used. Should I aim for a used JCM 900? How hearty are these amps? If I get a used one, can I expect it to be solid?

Thanks for any help you can give me, guys
Where do you live? You can look an craigslist, i see 5 or more on there all the time.
Johnstown, PA. Yeah, I did look on CL (the Johnstown, Pittsburgh, and State College lists are applicable to me) and I saw several used. I'm just wondering if it'd be wiser to just pony up the extra cash for a brand new one or if a used one would be just fine.
are they even being made still??
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
That's my dream amp (besides a Vox AC30). I'd check Craigslist if you live in a big city. If you don't, look in the one nearest you (if you don't mind the drive), or eBay.
I'd like to grow up to be Charles Thompson.

Gear:

Fender American Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
Quote by whiteraven119
Johnstown, PA. Yeah, I did look on CL (the Johnstown, Pittsburgh, and State College lists are applicable to me) and I saw several used. I'm just wondering if it'd be wiser to just pony up the extra cash for a brand new one or if a used one would be just fine.

I would say it is a safe bet if you went used, if you were able to go play it and check out to make sure everything is okay with it and in good shape. You can get a JCM 800 from Musicians friend, but it's really expensive compared to used ones and it isn't what you want.
EBay or craigslist.

Also check guitar stores specializing in used gear.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks for the help, guys. I'm not very savvy on Marshall. I've been really digging the Mesa Recto tone for a while but that Bugera 1990 really opened my ears to how amazing Marshall-style amps can sound. And I figure, if I can afford it, why not buy the real thing instead of a clone. I guess best advice is to check Craigslist and stuff until I find one that looks in good shape?
As a man who is shopping for the JCM 2000 DSL, I know that the JCM 900s are around. They were re-released by Marshall as the JCM 900 (4100)

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=4100

That is a link from the Marshall website.

Craigslist is a good resource, can find some good used stuff cheaply if you're lucky.

Good hunting!
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall does not make the JCM900 series any more. those amps came out in the early 90s and were discontinued in like 1999 when the JCM 2000s were released.

they had made a few dif versions of the JCM 900. they a 50 watt and 100 watt version of the 4100 Dual Reverb model

and a 50 and 100 watt version of the JCM900 SL-X Super lead( the 2100 and 2500) its the holy grail of the 900s

they made combos of each as well.

you can find them on ebay and craigslist for a good price now a days

i just found my 1994-95 Jcm900 Sl-X 2100 locally..well about an hour drive from me. damn good amp! i paid $750 for mine due to it needing some tune ups
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by HouseBoy83
Marshall does not make the JCM900 series any more. those amps came out in the early 90s and were discontinued in like 1999 when the JCM 2000s were released.

they had made a few dif versions of the JCM 900. they a 50 watt and 100 watt version of the 4100 Dual Reverb model

and a 50 and 100 watt version of the JCM900 SL-X Super lead( the 2100 and 2500) its the holy grail of the 900s

they made combos of each as well.

you can find them on ebay and craigslist for a good price now a days

i just found my 1994-95 Jcm900 Sl-X 2100 locally..well about an hour drive from me. damn good amp! i paid $750 for mine due to it needing some tune ups

+1, this was everything I was about to say, except I don't have a JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
If you were in so-cal id consider selling you mine, they go for about $600 average on CL and a lil more in Ebay.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
I just bought a 4100 dual reverb off craigslist for $700 that is immaculate. I had to clean the pots because the lead volume was scratchy and jumped around. 10 minute fix and it performs like new now. I have no regrets on picking it up.
Quote by mbob
I just bought a 4100 dual reverb off craigslist for $700 that is immaculate. I had to clean the pots because the lead volume was scratchy and jumped around. 10 minute fix and it performs like new now. I have no regrets on picking it up.

awsome man.

i get my 900 Sl-X back from my tech friday. haveing a few mods down to it so it sounds smoother and have more clarity to it
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA