I'm looking for a setup where i can plug my guitar into a mixer or something, and plug that into my computer and record. I'm very confused on what all is required. Links to products would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking something like this, and audacity. Would that work? Would i need anything else? I'm pretty much limited to 200-300 dollars for everything I'll need.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Last edited by parigod at Aug 1, 2009,
waht you got there is a pretty nice package. You have your interface. with two guitar/mic inputs,guitar vst software, and it even gives you ableton lite (which i find really confusing id recommend Reaper). If you only need 1 input at a time im sure you can get something even cheaper. The only other thing youd need is a monitoring system, but as long as your computer speaker arent the worst i think youll be ok for now. Or you can use headphones.
thanks very much. for $200, it seems like just what I want.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
a decent interface is all you need - I use a Boss GS-10 USB device with my computer sub-woofer system for speakers and with a DAW (I'm on a Mac and use Logic) like Reaper that a lot of guys use and maybe an amp sim or 2 with a few plug-ins (acmebargig has lots of great free ones) you'll have everything to get you started. You really don't need a mixer as most everything will be handled by your interface and your DAW - most DAW's have software mixers in them that will work fine.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I too recommend acmebargig's stuff. just wait for DIG 2.5 it's even better than software costing 300-400 dollars.
I personally use a POD X3 Live, it's just a more advanced version of hte package you're currently looking at.

It's somewhat more expensive, but with vast amount of of control and the fact you can use it on stage, rehersals orwhatever, some might sya it's far better.

I recorded a song with it, showing the difference in sound quality that can be used in recording, comapred to mic (The effect is also done with the same pedal)

Unedited : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqYj-oy5gU
Edited : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kw0wtz07I4

Just offering my input - also the one you linked to, is what i USE to have, but i brought itb ack after a week as it was really not doing anything useful. It was loud, and constantly 'lagging out', my friend experiences the exact same problems.
no piont in getting it if your using audcity , use reaper or appleton live is what you get with it
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL