Page 1 of 4
This is why you wear earplugs kids... And especially to a fucking Sepultura show.

Sad news in the Belgian newspapers today. Dietrich Hectors, a 29-year old Belgian metalhead (and a doctor of engineering) killed himself last Friday because he was suffering from a severe form of tinnitus and hyperacusis. Tinnitus is an incurable condition, where the ear is permanently damaged, resulting in an over-sensitivity to certain frequency ranges of sound. Despite taking some sort of medication, in the end, every single sound hurted his ears, especially his own voice. "This disease controls my life: every word hurts."

His ears got damaged permanently after a Sepultura concert in 1996. From then on, he used ear plugs for almost every loud activity. After a rehearsel with his metal band - where he forgot his plugs because he was in a hurry - his condition got worse. Eventually, Dietrich Hectors was forced to quit the band in 2003. He also gave up most of his social life - avoiding pubs etc. - locking himself up in total loneliness and silence. After visiting a small, local music festival in 2006, he took off his ear plugs, just when people started firing fireworks right next to him. When he got his plugs back in, already a few explosions had passed. The next few days, his ears started hurting like never before.

In his goodbye letter, Hectors wrote: "For the first time in my life, the ringing noise in my ears is totally unbearable. It goes beyond anything. Despite the heavier medication, EVERYTHING is hurting my ears, especially my own voice. I can no longer communicate - just when I really needed to talk with the people around me the most. A hundred times, I tried to fight back, kept myself in silence, involved in antisocial behaviour - waiting for some sort of improvement. But there is a line somewhere. That line is reached. Please respect my choice, my life has become a living hell."

He also added he now regrets his switch in musical preferences from hard-rock to heavy metal...

http://metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=9135
*Turns down music slightly*

*Looks at TS user title*

*Bumps Acid Bath and cranks the speakers*
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Thats really depressing.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
That's pretty metal

*inb4 the "im a huge metal fan" pic*

that's the worst hell i could ever imagine though. that sucks. I'd do the same thing. receiving pain for listening to the music i love? not worth it.
I don't know if I should say this but:

A moment of silence for our fallen comrade, who suffered one of the worst fates possible for one of us. (especially the metal forum)
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Brutal!
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
sepultura are that brutal. good for him
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
That's sad...
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I can see Sepultura gaining some BR00TAL publicity for this. They are so Br00talz that their music forced a guy to kill himself to stop the ringing.

edit: ^ metalled to death sounds like an honorable way to go at least. This guy went out like a man. he enjoyed his music so fully that it ended up destroying his hearing.
One time I had it so bad that I was in agony, so I see where this dude was coming from.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

That's pretty brutal. Sad, but brutal. A moment of silence (no pun intended?) for him is in order.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
This is actually the first news story I ever heard where it actually makes me sad. I mean he loved music so much and it destroyed his life and he couldn't even enjoy it anymore...
It hurted his ears good.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
ZOMG TEH METALZ CAUSES TEH SUICIDING!!!!!!!

WE MUST BANZORZ TEH METALZ TO PROTECT TEH CHILDRENZ!!!!!!!!
kill all humans
poor guy...not being able to listen to your favorite band at an appreciable level of volume.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Machinz
Megadeaf

Oh my God... I tried so hard not to laugh there

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
My god... this man was Metalled into torture. I can understand his reasoning. May he rest, rock (or metal) in peace.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
This scares the **** out of me! I have noticed my hearing is getting worse, I think its because of all the loud music / guitar / drums I play. So I started wearing ear plugs every time I play drums. I found out the other day that My dad also has a hereditary disease that deteriorates the bones in the ear.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
That sucks really bad.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Has a Surf Music band
Quote by Machinz
Megadeaf

oh my god a very recent 09'er than made me laugh so much

you have made my night
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
His ears don't hurt anymore.

He's with the gods now.

Headbanging, and adjusting their amps. Upward.

Because he earned his golden ears.
GTFO my sig
thats terrible, i feel bad for the guy
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica