See, I signed up to play music for a scouting event. I originally thought it would only be like 100, people. I could have handled that just fine by myself (The rest of my band couldn't come because they're not in any scouting program)
BUT NOOOOO.
My crew leader just told us that there is going to be at least 4000 people there. No Joke. And I can't back out of it. All my crowds have been in the double digits. Now I'm playing for every scout and venturer and their families and leader in the ENTIRE state of Washington.
I'm seriously dying of nerves right now.
I don't know what songs to play yet.
in front of four thousand people, 99.9% whom I don't know. And some Canadians.
I've already got stage fright. Is there anyway to overcome this without backing out?
picture them in there underwear... lol j/k.. that would make it worse.. Just practice that song you are gunna play ALOT even when you master it... there is always room for imporvment
Last edited by MetalGuitarest at Aug 1, 2009,
more people shouldnt make you anymore nervous. for some reason i feel more nervous playing in front of a couple close friends rather than 50 people i dont know. just relax and play your songs that you feel most confident with and you think that would really catch peoples attention. songs that show your potential as a songwriter.
Tell yourself either "they love me", or "f*ck them!". I've been in this situation before, I signed up for a volunteer gig, and it ended up being 3000 runners who ran by a water station, so we had to get over nerves quick. You'll do fine, if you play your first song as if the audience wasn't there, you'll be able to feed off of their energy after. If you're playing solo, tell them ahead of time the situation, but make it seem as if it's funny, they'll feed off of it, and break in easy. Being honest with a crowd is one of the best things you can do. Tell them you're nervous, and then NAIL your first song and they'll think you're amazing. Good luck, you'll do fine.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
thanks guys.
My nerves are still a little shot.
But I think I'll be okay.

And I really dont want to picture my Crew Supervisor in his underwear. He's already joked about being a groupie.
Try not to make a big deal about it. When ever I have some thing that takes public speaking (which I hate) I try not to overhype the event. Once you get up there it won't be so bad.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
well when i play chewing gum keeps me relaxed idk bout you though it may seem scary now but when your up there and having fun doing your thing you'll forget all about the people
I hate it when I see someone chewing when they are performing. It seems so unprofessional.

You'll be fine when you get up there, playing to large crowds is easier than playing to a small crowd of all your friends, believe me. It's more difficult to distinguish people in large crowds, so it just becomes a blur of people-shapes.

It'll be fun though, just get up there and give it your best shot.
Don't tell the crowd you're nervous. Even if you're good they'll just remember you as the "nervous" guy. That goes for any situation. Would you do an oral presentation to your class and announce "I'm nervous and unprepared!" at the beginning? Would you go to a job interview and say "this is the first time I've done this so plz give me a chance?".

Don't ever draw attention to your faults.

For crowd sizes, seriously don't sweat it. For a larger crowd like that you'll be on a stage raised higher than them, and won't be able to make out faces. If you look straight ahead when playing you'll look over their heads, a little raised and you'll be looking at the sky. And they won't know. Just practice a lot until you get your set memorised, then go out on that stage and ignore everyone, you don't even have to look at them

Good luck!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
First thing to watch for is those Canadians in the crowd. If you suck, they will *seriously* kick your @ss.

Hehe... j/k

I agree that it is harder to play in front of 20 people that are friends and family than it is to play for 2000 at a festival or whatever. With a big crowd, you don't know them and they don't know you, so you won't ever see them again. That's your out if you don't do as well as you hoped. Unlike your friends and family, you will have to see them again later... and again and again and again.... Seriously, that's more pressure.

Start with your best song - that is, the one you perform the best. Before you go on is when you'll be the most nervous. Once you get going and realize that all is well in Washington, you'll be fine. Conversely, if you start with your least prepared song, you'll be nervous as hell going up, and then it will only get worse from there.

The good news is that, once you've played for a few crowds - regardless of size - it only gets easier.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by darthbuttchin
I hate it when I see someone chewing when they are performing. It seems so unprofessional.

Really? I have chewing gum in my mouth whenever I'm out, because I have bad breath

While for singing, it's obviously not ideal, I can't see it being a detriment for a guitarist, so long as it's not chewed in the open-mouthed exaggerated manner. Hell, I think it could add a cool factor
well man, after you play and rock their socks off your going to have 4000 people(all connected and or scouts) thinking your awesome. to me it sounds like a certain someones musical career just got a massive break and head start.
Quote by gabcd86
Really? I have chewing gum in my mouth whenever I'm out, because I have bad breath

While for singing, it's obviously not ideal, I can't see it being a detriment for a guitarist, so long as it's not chewed in the open-mouthed exaggerated manner. Hell, I think it could add a cool factor

Well, whenever I see someone chewing on-stage, they aways appear to have a bored expression on their face. If the artist looks bored, how is the audience gonna feel? I'm fully of the opinion that the manner in which the band presents themselves upon stage will reflect upon how the audience enjoys them.

Much as I dislike Fall Out Boy, the energy which they inject into their show would mean I was more inclined to enjoy them than If I saw another band stand still and look bored.

I'd even go as far as to say just smiling on-stage will have an effect upon the audience, as they realise you want to be there, and that you are human.

So basically, chewing gum suggests you are bored, in my opinion. Which gives negative vibes to the audience.
Ah, fair enough, from the P.O.V, I get it. Mental Note: *Just chew and smile*

Although I rarely smile while playing guitar anyway... I'm ****ed unless I get into a death metal band :P
Play your best and favourite song and play it with feeling. And like someone said above, you will never see those people again, so just relax. And if you still have some nerves before the show, drink some Absinthe and play some br00TaLZ MM stuff!!!! Jk, don't. Cause having everyone in the crowd look like they are green and can fly will screw up tour rendition of The Beautiful People. Ok, i'm done now. Just relax, play with confidence, and have fun!
Quote by epiphonesg94
Play your best and favourite song and play it with feeling. And like someone said above, you will never see those people again, so just relax. And if you still have some nerves before the show, drink some Absinthe and play some br00TaLZ MM stuff!!!! Jk, don't. Cause having everyone in the crowd look like they are green and can fly will screw up tour rendition of The Beautiful People. Ok, i'm done now. Just relax, play with confidence, and have fun!

Absinthe.... I wonder if I get a merit badge for that.
It's the Green Fairy badge. Check it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.