I've been listening to a lot of Black Ambient (Summoning, Burzum, Wongraven) music recently, and I wish to do a project. I know a need a synthetizer, but how I can get the reverbed sound typical of Black Ambient? Which other instruments can I use? Also, I know that Harmonic Minor and Natural Minor are very used in Black Ambient, but beside these two scales, what other scales can I use?
I had amnesia, but now I cant remember.

Dream Theater rules!
Last edited by Thrasher_09 at Aug 1, 2009,
What recording program do you use? Most have reverb send effects. A good trick is to duplicate the track and reverb/compress the **** out of it so it sounds like its coming from the sewers underneath you, then combine the two to give it a real ambient depth.
Other good effects to use are chorus, echo/reverse echo and *slight* flanger.
As for scales you could also go for hungarian gypsy (which is harmonic minor with a sharpened fourth) or plain phrygian (works wonders in the right context).
What sort of sound do you want? (bands etc)
lol guitar
I dont have a recording program, but I am looking forward to buy one. I want to get a sound similar to Summoning or Burzum, my favorite black ambient bands (I know they also play black metal but I want to get their ambient sound). Thank for the tips, I am going to take them into account whenever I get the opportunity to buy a recording program.

Dream Theater rules!
Ok, another good thing to learn which you can practice before getting your program is how to use whole/barre chords especially diminished chords, in a black ambient context.

Now if you did this with distortion in a rock, thrash or even death environment, it tends to kill the song like a big dark haze (because the backbone of these genres lie in chunky power chords with little background noise) but for black ambient this works very well.

You could also take a more clean approach as long as you use reverb and chorus to give it a thick atmosphere, there's quite a few bands that use this in black metal (like Immortal) and black ambient usually for instrumental parts and interludes.

There are lots of other chords I don't have time to mention because I have to go somewhere right now.
lol guitar
One piece of gear is CRUCIAL!!! The nanoverb. Get it and you will have the ambiance you desire 4 Black Ambient.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by loinmute
One piece of gear is CRUCIAL!!! The nanoverb. Get it and you will have the ambiance you desire 4 Black Ambient.

What is the nanoverb? Can you explain me please?

Dream Theater rules!
it's a piece o' rack equipment. Has an input/output jack(s). Use your search engine-nanoverb....
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
I make black ambient (and different varieties of black metal). I would recommend getting Reaper, a free software that is great for producing decent home made music.

I would suggest getting Guitar Pro as well to tab/notate your work. From there you can export MIDI files into Reaper. If you go online you can download many VSTs, some free (these are virtual instruments that read MIDI files and play them with sounds of the VST).

Remember when making black metal its more about atmosphere than the music specifically. Especially with ambient black metal you kind of need to find the right "sounds" for all the instruments to create whatever atmosphere you desire.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Ulalume
I make black ambient (and different varieties of black metal). I would recommend getting Reaper, a free software that is great for producing decent home made music.

I would suggest getting Guitar Pro as well to tab/notate your work. From there you can export MIDI files into Reaper. If you go online you can download many VSTs, some free (these are virtual instruments that read MIDI files and play them with sounds of the VST).

Remember when making black metal its more about atmosphere than the music specifically. Especially with ambient black metal you kind of need to find the right "sounds" for all the instruments to create whatever atmosphere you desire.

I use Power Tab, I think it works the same way as Guitar Pro.

Dream Theater rules!