Poll: Do you wear ear protection when playing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you wear ear protection when playing?
Yes
47 30%
No
112 70%
Voters: 159.
Page 1 of 2
So, seeing a certain thread about hearing damage I wondered to myself. How many of you when jamming wear ear protection? I myself do not, but I think I am going to start wearing some because I have noticed its getting harder for me to hear some things. My father also has a hereditary disease that deteriorates the bones in the ear.

Edit: I just noticed I put a period at the end of my thread title question. I fucking fail.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Last edited by Hellish_Wolf at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by Tire Me.
lol.

Every show I go to.

Also, I don't wear while playing because I don't play loud enough to warrant that.

I have super sensitive hearing, and I want to preserve it.

Yeah bedroom level I won't but when I get together with my band I think I will.

Quote by King Twili

no but i should since my left ear went deaf for like 5 minutes after being way too close to a loud PA speaker and it really hasnt entirely stopped ringing since
I've got to head up to GC and buy some of those Hi-Fi earplugs. I don't right now, but once I get those earplugs, I'll wear them all the time I'm near loud noises.
I'm going to now after reading the article about the man committing suicide D:
Quote by bradulator
Iceland has the coolest women.
i dont wear ear plugs but when i play abnormally loud for no reason i do
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Actually I bring about 3 pairs to every show I go to... just in case...

Quote by genghisgandhi

bad logic

Poor logic. And a period at the end would be useful. Class dismissed.

Last edited by Tire Me. at Aug 1, 2009,
im pretty sure theres no bones in your ear but ok
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
I never really have, but since I read that incredibly sad story, I will from now on.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
nope. and i never will. if tinnitus is good enough for Pete Townshend, it's good enough for me

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I do on occasion when im just practicing drums alone, when I jam on guitar though I dont. I feel like its more important to hear everything with clarity. I dont really like hearing my beautiful music sound muffled.
I never do. I probably should considering that everytime I go to a show of play a show everything sounds muffled for the next three days. I just a saw a Queen tribute band so the weird muffling is occuring at this very second. It's like that Dane Cook bit.....but it's really my life hahaha.

Listen to my covers here.

"Some even claim that I'm a terror, a dictator and they're right." - Lou Reed

AK-ROWDY
*reads thread title* ear protection=condoms for ear?
*reads thread*epic
This shit is Pie.
Black Metal Pie.
It talks about winter.
Join if you like, or kindly leave.
Or else you die.

i like shooping
shoop da wooping
and chargin mah lazorz
not necessarily in that order
Quote by WattsyBoy97
im pretty sure theres no bones in your ear but ok

The outer ear (pinna) has no bones, but is made up of cartilage.
The inner ear is the bony labyrinth, a system of passages comprising two main functional parts: the organ of hearing, or cochlea and the vestibular apparatus, the organ of balance that consists of three semicircular canals and the vestibule. Inner ears are found in all vertebrates, with substantial variations in the form and function of their sensory organs. Each animal has two inner ears, one on each side of its head.

In mammals, the outer ear focuses and directs sound waves into the middle ear. In the middle ear, the energy of these pressure waves[1] is translated into mechanical vibrations of the middle ear s bone structure. The cochlea of the inner ear propagates these mechanical signals as waves in fluid and membranes, and finally transduces them to nerve impulses which are transmitted to the brain.

The vestibular system of the inner ear is responsible for the sensations of balance and motion. It uses the same kinds of fluids and detection cells (hair cells) as the cochlea uses, and sends information to the brain about the attitude, rotation, and linear motion of the head. The type of motion or attitude detected by a hair cell depends on its associated mechanical structures, such as the curved tube of a semicircular canal or the calcium carbonate crystals (otolith) of the saccule and utricle.

The inner ear is innervated by the eighth cranial nerve in all vertebrates.

Quote by King Twili

When practicing in my room, I don't usually wear ear protections, although I often find myself playing with my ears rather close to the amp. Neither do I wear protection when attending/playing gigs. I'll change that, tho.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
The outer ear (pinna) has no bones, but is made up of cartilage.
The inner ear is the bony labyrinth, a system of passages comprising two main functional parts: the organ of hearing, or cochlea and the vestibular apparatus, the organ of balance that consists of three semicircular canals and the vestibule. Inner ears are found in all vertebrates, with substantial variations in the form and function of their sensory organs. Each animal has two inner ears, one on each side of its head.

In mammals, the outer ear focuses and directs sound waves into the middle ear. In the middle ear, the energy of these pressure waves[1] is translated into mechanical vibrations of the middle ear s bone structure. The cochlea of the inner ear propagates these mechanical signals as waves in fluid and membranes, and finally transduces them to nerve impulses which are transmitted to the brain.

The vestibular system of the inner ear is responsible for the sensations of balance and motion. It uses the same kinds of fluids and detection cells (hair cells) as the cochlea uses, and sends information to the brain about the attitude, rotation, and linear motion of the head. The type of motion or attitude detected by a hair cell depends on its associated mechanical structures, such as the curved tube of a semicircular canal or the calcium carbonate crystals (otolith) of the saccule and utricle.

The inner ear is innervated by the eighth cranial nerve in all vertebrates.

HOLY BEJEEZUS!!! to many words
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
I don't play guitar that much anymore, but I do wear them for concerts and such.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Quote by Unourrit01
i always do ever since i was told i damaged my left ear already.

you too ?

i think ive punctured my left eardrum ... as from 28 oct seeing slayer has ****ed my ears... bastards ... ¬¬

so as from then when i go to gigs i wear plugs, but when im playing guitar i dont, i dont have a band yet so i dont have to compete with the drummer AHAHAHA
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i think you mean GOOD logic. you made a typo there.

Really man, I'm pretty sure if you knew what tinnitus was really like, you wouldn't be so naive.

You saying "Pete Townsend has it, so it's good enough for me" is like me saying "Jade Goody had cancer, so it's good enough for me!"

As for earplugs, yes i wore them when i was in a band a few years ago. I think the first time i jammed with them i didn't wear any, but i knew how bad i was damaging my ears after a few hours of playing. So, i wore them to every session since.

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

I was forced to wear them a little while ago at a gig. The PA was MASSIVE and he was playing pretty much everything through my monitor, so it was either earplugs in or deafness

I was able to pitch my vocals slightly better, tbh
On the rare occasion that I get to crank my tube amp, yes, but only if I crank it past halfway. Otherwise, I fear repeating an incident where I got one of the earplugs stuck and spent 25 minutes getting it out.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by Morgy

You saying "Pete Townsend has it, so it's good enough for me" is like me saying "Jade Goody had cancer, so it's good enough for me!"

Anything good enough for Jade Goody is good enough for us.
I always carry ear plugs, but I judge whether or not to wear them based on the volume of monitors/amps, and generally I prefer quieter monitors to earplugs. I wear them when I have to though, I'm a sound engineer so I need my ears!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Everytime watching gigs, playing gigs and jamming. I'm not taking any risks.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
No, but I almost always play acoustic nowadays so it's not a big deal
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
With my old band I didn't, and I also used to listen to music quite loudly, and now I have, what i'd describe as, a minor form of tinnitus. I'm starting up a new band, so will every time then, because I don't want it to get any worse.

I never play my guitar/bass loudly when i'm at home, so it doesn't really matter there.
Page 1 of 2