I'm a great singer, and I'm a decent guitarist - I found a guy who's into the same stuff I'm into and he's going to be my lead guitarist.
That was the easy part.

The hard part is how to find a drummer and a bass guitarist in a town where there seems to be no music life so to speak of.. there are like 2 bands here who do gigs occasionally but they both suck, and personal problems between one of my friends with the only drummer in this town who's half decent prevent me from getting him into my band..
..and the fact that he's already in a band but whatever.

I've got an ad in the music shop and all, but I'm wondering what more can I do to get drummers or bass guitarists to contact me?

I'm sick of just sitting here stagnating since I KNOW I could take this place over.. I'm going to meet up with the lead guitar guy and rehearse some stuff tomorrow, should be cool.. who knows we might make it work for a while without drums and bass, and maybe someone will jump on board after they hear us.
But yeah there's gotta be some way of getting these musicians on board >_<
Mostly kind of rockish, but I'm more of an R'n'B/soul kinda singer.

The lead guitarist and I have already decided we are probably going to cover like top 40 stuff and classics, as well as write our own stuff.

We know that top 40 and classics are the stuff that will get us gigs and get us known, and we can chuck in our own originals every now and then as well.

We've got it kinda worked out as far as that goes, since I'm a good enough singer to make even chick pop songs sound like a heartfelt rock/soul performance.

So yeah, I guess to sum up our style it would be rock/soul/r'n'b..

I personally like to have the rhythm as something to be able to dance to.

EDIT: I'm the leader of the two of us, and I feel that all our songs besides ballads (which we would only pull out occasionally and if the time is right) should be danceable, we don't want to have ANY boring songs, and any boring songs that people seem to love, we will make danceable through strumming patterns and what not.

I personally feel that we NEED a drummer to help this.. but maybe we won't.. we are going to perform in public tomorrow and I guess we'll see how it goes, since who knows.. we might not need a bass or a drummer..

I can play keyboards and harmonica as well.
Last edited by King Turi at Aug 1, 2009,
Welcome to my life.
I've haven't been able to find a reliable drummer in years. Keeping in mind I'm only 17, but still, it's pretty sucky.

I guess just put up ads and such in music stores, and on telephone poles (like the "lost dog" signs). I'm about to do the same.
Good luck to you.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by ratmblink123
Welcome to my life.
I've haven't been able to find a reliable drummer in years. Keeping in mind I'm only 17, but still, it's pretty sucky.

I guess just put up ads and such in music stores, and on telephone poles (like the "lost dog" signs). I'm about to do the same.
Good luck to you.

This is a decent idea, I'll have to hit up the local hot-spots and put up some flyers I guess.

Would it be ideal to specifically state "NO THRASH METAL" or something on the sign?
Quote by King Turi

Would it be ideal to specifically state "NO THRASH METAL" or something on the sign?

Seriously though.
Thrash metal is the ultimate dance music.
Everybody'll be doing the TOXIC WALTZ!!!!
Last edited by xMetalCoreKingx at Aug 1, 2009,
Hell no, I can't stand thrash metal haha..

..and you can't dance to it, only jump around like a dick.
Quote by ratmblink123

I guess just put up ads on telephone poles (like the "lost dog" signs). I'm about to do the same.
Good luck to you.

''Dewey Finn needs you!!!''

Other than that, I don't think i'll help the actual situation, as your attitude is way too much like 'I'm an awesome R'n'B singer, I KNOW we'll be big'' I don't like it. So yeah.
go acoustic? programme synth stuff with drums etc along with it to help you make it more "danceable" if you can't get it the way you want just with strumming patterns?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Well do you have any music? That's a good place to start.

If you're doing covers, learn enough to do at least an hour set. A working cover band will have about 4 hours worth of material. You don't have to waste time waiting for a drummer and bassist to come into your lives before you can get some tight music together. They will appear with time, and with the nature of covers you don't need to spend time arranging their parts and such when they do join you.

Also there can't be no musical life if your town has a music store - people must be buying things from there for it to survive. If an ad at the music shop is all you have you can try internet resources and the local paper if that's appropriate.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well, my advice to you would be to not let it slow you down. I would continue to work with your guitar player and get a few songs arranged. Then, once you have 2 or 3 solid songs, get those recorded. Try to find a bass player to help you do the recordings if you don't feel capable playing the bass parts yourself. If you're unable to find a drummer just for the studio recordings you could always use a drum machine. Once you get some good sounding music online, you will probably have an easier time finding someone.

Also, be prepared to travel. If you can't find anything in your town, you may have to look at other places near you. Once you do get something going, you will probably have to travel to play gigs too, since you said the music scene in your town is dead.
Well, the good news is that good singers are *always* in demand, and people will fall all over themselves to work with a *great* singer.

If you are, indeed, a great singer, you will have a reputation, and these drummers and bass players will seek you.

If you do not have a reputation, you need to get one. You need to get out there. Hit jam nights/open mics, etc. Have a demo and put a link to your online demo in your ads.

When a great singer comes onto the scene, people tend to notice pretty quickly.

A caution, though.... keep in mind that I've not heard you sing..... are you *really* a great singer? If you're not, and just an okay singer, and you're going around saying you're a great singer, you will find that your reputation will also get around, and people will NOT want to play with you, simply because your ego does not match the talent.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I get people coming up to me all the time telling me I have a great voice and asking me why I'm not out there making money off it.

All I can say back is I don't have a band.

I have people who've wanted me to front for them, but they are into heavy metal or screamo (which I occasionally do as a JOKE), I really can't stand the style.. other than that as I said, the music scene here is pretty dead, and most people who are getting up me about wasting my voice don't actually play instruments, so they are kind of out of the picture.

Tonight I'm gonna get together with the lead guitarist and see if we can work through a couple of tunes with no bass and no drums.. we could easily entertain people with just 2 guitars, but I want music people can dance to, really we can only do that with strumming patterns (or I could use my guitar as a drum sometimes >_>
Quote by King Turi
we could easily entertain people with just 2 guitars, but I want music people can dance to, really we can only do that with strumming patterns (or I could use my guitar as a drum sometimes >_>

You can definately make danceable music with two guitars, or even just one.

This is a great example of one guitar with a loop station
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebd7ONuE-PA

1 Guitar + Guy Hitting Box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJNkgLNtn8

1 Guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo

The list goes on and on. You're only really limited by your thoughts.

And what is this town which is so devoid of musicians and music?
Soundcloud
I was in a similar situation, just that my band was looking for a singer, a drummer and a bassist.

Because we were only 15-17, we put up fliers in local music stores, bus stops, information boards and in the town hall, we also put fliers up in numerous local schools (including our own).

We ended up with a drummer who didn't have a drum kit, nothing else came up.

If you want to play just the two of you, try some blue songs, the lead guitarist as the only guitar and you on Harmonica and Piano.

You can "replace" bass with a guitar and a very low set amp or with a keyboard (my keyboard has bass effects), of course it's not as good as bass but it's better than nothing.

How did the gig go?
I can do harmonica easy enough, but blues isn't really my thing.
He might be into that, so I'll bring it up anyway.

I'm gonna meet up with him in about an hour or so and we'll see if we can work somethin' out.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx

Seriously though.
Thrash metal is the ultimate dance music.
Everybody'll be doing the TOXIC WALTZ!!!!

Mustaine???

Bassists are the biggest problem to find. and drummers are kinda hard but you could convert someone with some musical experience to drums. That's what i did and its going pretty good.

The pic is for the mustaine guy
Attachments:
Metallica+james1gy8.jpg
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
This is going to sound mean, but if you're in a place that musically dead, move. Of course that may not be possible, due to age or other factors. Can you at least drive to a city with some action? If you can, do that.

The other suggestion may seem equally mean. Nut it up, and sing with an already formed and gigging band. Don't like the music they play? Tough, do it anyway, and do it well. One of the best ways to meet other musicians is to be one. If you truly have a great voice, use it as an asset. If you're in your teens, you have plenty of time to put your own band together, after you make some connections.
The TS probably isn't in a town "devoid" of musicians.

On UG the average poster will usually first blame their gear for their skill level, or their town for their lack of success. His town has a music store = musicians live there. The town also has some regular gigging bands, it's just that he's not in one.
Soundcloud
Use Gumtree/whatever the local online resource for finding stuff is. My band at present is looking for a second, female singer/keyboardist, and didn't even know such a thing existed until we started looking at adverts online. Then we found three possibilities in a few days.

If you're a great singer, look into open mike nights. Given that you can play guitar, you can do those on your own. Then, stay and watch other performers, talk to everyone who's there, mention you're looking to form a band, and make certain that everyone knows what you want.

In a way, you're lucky that you've got a singer/both guitarists, because finding a drummer who'll play Top 40 Hits might well be easier than finding a guitarist who really wants to play them.
Yeah I know, my town isn't absolutely dead in regards to music, but it is in some aspects - nobody wants to join a band.

There are only 2 bands here, one of them is just like a family thing (mum 'n' dad included) the other is a decent band but they don't really seem to have their **** together.

I performed a song with the lead guitarist the other night, our first "performance" in public, we did it without rehearsing at all and it was just at like an open mic sorta thing, I played keyboards and he played guitar, we done "Apologize" and it actually went down really well, the small crowd that was there loved it, I nailed the vocals (hit a few off notes on the keyboard though) and the lead guitarist knew what he was doing, we gelled really well.

So we'll have to get together and actually rehearse a few songs and start getting some gigs.

I've heard we'll need about 4 hours worth of stuff for any paid gigs around here, which we can do easily, really everything should work out alright, I know some people who might be able to help us get some gigs.. I think it'll work out alright.

Still lacking a drummer and a bass guitarist, but I can always use an octave thingy on my guitar to do bass - or even do it on the keyboard.. I didn't realize how well the keyboard and guitar go together until we played, made me feel like just playing keyboards and letting him do all guitar, it was a lot of fun.
Would anyone like to give evidence that LA has more than 2 bands?
Soundcloud
Quote by King Turi
LA?

I live in a little beach town in QLD, Australia. ._.

Sorry dude - got you mixed up with another thread where the guy uses the same excuse that there's no musicians around, despite living in LA. My bad

How small a town are you talking about? In smaller towns it is easier to get a bit of local support I find, as someone who also came from a small coastal town, probably smaller than yours (1000 people in the wider area).
Soundcloud
Not sure how many people are here, but I've advertised everywhere here to no avail..

I've had a drummer call me up, but he's wanting to do heavy metal, and apart from that nothin'.

I've often wondered how the music store here stays afloat, I'm getting more involved in whatever music scene is here, going to all the jam nights and music-related stuff I can trying to expand m network.

Everyone here plays guitar! >_<
Woohoo!

Kinda found a drummer.. "ish"..

The guy is a mad drummer, doesn't just wanna do heavy crap all the time, and seems interested, only thing is he's in another "band".

But it's a band he can leave easily and nobody would really care.

He wants me to get together with a bass player and get our songs "tight" and then tell him what songs we're gonna do, he'll learn them, and then we'll do an open mic night and see if it all gels together.

Seems a bit dodgy since we can't rehearse with him, but I guess it's his way of making sure we have our **** together - I've seen the guy improvise songs he's never heard before on the drums and made it sound as if he wrote the damn song, so yeah, he'd fit in perfect.

Now I just have to find a bass player! ._.

Should I ditch guitar and pick up a bass?

I have a lead guitarist, basically we'd have all instruments we'd need then.. but I think it'd be very hard to keep a bassline going while singing, without just doing the root note.
Of course I could always just root note while I'm singing, and do a more inspired bassline during instrumental breaks..
Well the drummer doesn't have to "leave" his band. Most bands don't gig every week (at the beginning anyway) so there's nothing stopping him from being in both.

As for bass, why not? At first your bass lines may be a bit more simple while singing, but as you practice you'll get better. Maybe you can also switch guitar and bass with the lead for a couple of songs too.
Soundcloud
Yeah I know, I plan on getting a couple of gigs a week though but still got to work at it a bit to get that far.

The bass thing will take some practice if I do that, and I'll have to pick up a bass.. I'll have to see what happens really, for now, the lead guitarist and I should get some songs down perfect.
We kinda have it easy, since we don't copy other people's solos, we prefer to improvise them, so learning songs isn't that hard.