I've been playing guitar for about a year and eight months I don't usually have trouble picking stuff, but for some reason when I play songs like Number of the beast I have trouble keeping up speed in the intro cause my picking hand gets tired about halfway through, now my question is for the Iron Maiden song Phantom of the Opera, during the interlude, I was playing it slowly and I wondered if I was picking it right Heres what the tabs look like this:

||--19--15----19--15----19--15----19--15----|
||o---------17----------17---------17------- 17-|
||----------------------------------------------------|
||o-------------------------------------------------- |
that pattern goes down the fretboard in a few different places, left hand has no problem with speed, but my picking pattern is down, down, up. My wrist gets tired about half way to 3/4ths through the interlude. and if I am picking it correctly, then what would the problem be, I have usually don't have problems with picking. Any help is appreciated!
try down, up, up or down up down down
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I'd alternate pick it. When you alternate pick you get your arm in a natural rhythm. Picking Down Up Up kinda forces your hand out of the rhythm in my opinion.

Slow right down and analyse where you go wrong.
I'd use strict alt. picking. Phantom of the Opera isn't a terribly fast song. It sounds like he's doing a pull of on the e-string, so inside picking would be the easiest way for me to play this. Try that out.
Quote by Will Swanson
I would go down on the 19th, then pull-off to the 15th, then up on the 17th.

Yeah, I would too.

But only because I can't alternate pick un-even shapes.
That's an even shape. Practice it slowly and bring it up to speed. That shouldn't take too long to get down. If it's easier for you, use outside picking (which would be use an upstroke on 19, pull-off to 15, then down stroke to 17).
Quote by Geldin
That's an even shape. Practice it slowly and bring it up to speed. That shouldn't take too long to get down. If it's easier for you, use outside picking (which would be use an upstroke on 19, pull-off to 15, then down stroke to 17).

Except that it isn't.

it goes: Down-Up/go up a string/Down/go back down a string/Up

1 isn't an even number ma boy.
No, but the number of strokes is. The pull-off reduces the number of strokes from 3 to 2. It sounds like the guitarists are using a pull-off there anyway.
Quote by Geldin
No, but the number of strokes is. The pull-off reduces the number of strokes from 3 to 2. It sounds like the guitarists are using a pull-off there anyway.

Yeah but that wouldn't be alternate picking anymore.

Since it's Maiden/Pentatonic/80s music I'm assuming that it's a pull-off lick as well.
It is alternate picking - you are alternating between an upstroke and a downstroke. We've answered the question. Now practice the damn lick.
Quote by Geldin
It is alternate picking - you are alternating between an upstroke and a downstroke. We've answered the question. Now practice the damn lick.

Yeah but you add in a pull-off so isn't it half legato?
Yes, there is a legato bit there, but the picking movement is neither unidirectional (all up/downstrokes) nor is it economy picking (down, up, up; up, down, down). Thus, alternate picking.