i have made now 3 posts pertaining to the guitar scotti hill from skid row plays. someone has said that he plays something called a superpaul, like a superstrat but a les paul. anyone know what it is, got any pictures, know where to buy one? any answers would be cool. thanks.
Well, a Superpaul is

Quote by rocker1122
like a superstrat but a les paul.

Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by cxrlxscr
Well, a Superpaul is

+1

I guess the Eclipse and EC would be considered a 'superpaul'
Oh and no one looked a google images for the Les Paul that this Scotti Hill guy played.

It's a Les Paul with a Bigsby!!!

But if thats the case, the EC-1000FR, Les Paul FR, Hellrasier Solo-6FR, and whatever other Les Paul shaped bodies have FR's or Bigsby's.
Gibson tried to break into the superstrat-esque market in the 80s or 90s, I can't remember exactly. They made a Les Paul which, as far as I can remember, had the configuration of a superstrat (HSS or HSH) and a trem system I think, which was a Kahler or something. It was a flop and they aren't worth much these days.

You can probably find pics around on the internet.
Quote by kenan6346
Gibson tried to break into the superstrat-esque market in the 80s or 90s, I can't remember exactly. They made a Les Paul which, as far as I can remember, had the configuration of a superstrat (HSS or HSH) and a trem system I think, which was a Kahler or something. It was a flop and they aren't worth much these days.

You can probably find pics around on the internet.

Indeed.

There's a New Kramer Les Paul with a 25.5" neck and a Floyd Rose. It's a 'Super Paul'.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Flying Couch
Indeed.

Does that count as a superstrat if it's not shaped somewhat like.... a strat? Pretty much just a DC Les Paul with a trem and an Explorer headstock, which looks completely out of place on this guitar.
Last edited by saves_the_day at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by saves_the_day
Does that count as a superstrat if it's not shaped somewhat like.... a strat? Pretty much just a DC Les Paul with a trem and an Explorer headstock, which looks completely out of placed on this guitar.

It's more like Gibson's answer to the superstrat: an LP optimised for metal or shred performance. Whether or not it fulfilled its objective is debatable, but hey, I haven't ever played one so what could I possibly say on it.
Quote by saves_the_day
Does that count as a superstrat if it's not shaped somewhat like.... a strat?
Of course not. That would be like saying a Telecaster is a Les Paul because they're not really the same but hey, they're both single coutout guitars.

Anyway, as far as I was aware both Scotti and Dave used custom Fender Strats during Skid Row shows, but used Les Pauls with Floyd bridges for some of the studio recordings. This is the first I've heard of either of them using a 'super-Paul', though such guitars do exist; they're not the double cut Gibson above though. Normally a 'super-Paul' is an HSH Les Paul with a 5-way switch and Strat style volume/tone/tone controls, a vibrato bridge of any kind and often a slimmed down neck with larger fretwire installed. ESP have made a few of them, Gibson have made a couple of them for various artists - funily enough, Joe Perry who was mistakenly posted above has one - and private builders have been making them constantly since the late-80's. Of course I couldn't say for sure that Scotti never used one, but to the best of my knowledge it was custom Strats and occasionally just regular HH LPs modded with Floyds for him.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by saves_the_day
Does that count as a superstrat if it's not shaped somewhat like.... a strat? Pretty much just a DC Les Paul with a trem and an Explorer headstock, which looks completely out of place on this guitar.

Of course not. The guy I quoted mentioned Gibson's wacky '80s Kahler deals, so I demonstrated one.
Quote by saves_the_day

No, it's just a doublecut les paul.
Quote by peterocker

That's just an LP with an OFR, not a superpaul.
Superpaul, like a superstrat, should go one higher then the standard models [ie, for strat, SSS to HSH, vintage trem to FR, 22 frets to 24, etc.].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO

I imagine it'd be something like that but a gibson.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

I imagine it'd be something like that but a gibson.

It would've looked an awful lot like that, but I believe it had a single coil PUP or two in there.

I wish I could find a pic of this guitar that I'm thinking of. Think of the Les Paul Axcess with an HSH or HSS (can't remember which one) configuration and some minor body adjustments to make it easier to reach the higher frets, etc.

Also, while looking for it, I came across what was described as a collaboration between Gibson and Charvel in the 80s in which they made an actual superstrat. It's called the Gibson WRC, and I reckon it looks pretty neat.
Quote by kenan6346
It would've looked an awful lot like that, but I believe it had a single coil PUP or two in there.

I wish I could find a pic of this guitar that I'm thinking of. Think of the Les Paul Axcess with an HSH or HSS (can't remember which one) configuration and some minor body adjustments to make it easier to reach the higher frets, etc.

Also, while looking for it, I came across what was described as a collaboration between Gibson and Charvel in the 80s in which they made an actual superstrat. It's called the Gibson WRC, and I reckon it looks pretty neat.

There's a thread by Flux'd in here about little-known Gibson models; I submitted that one. And my friend's dad has got a WRC; it's pretty cool.
No, they're just LPs. There's nothing super about them.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Faded Grey
So, would the Zakk Wylde Les Pauls count as "Superpauls"?

ZW LPs are just Gibson Les Paul Customs with unique graphics and active circuitry. No tremolo or single coils in sight.
I know this is coming late, late to the thead, but every picture I've seen in this thread is just an ordinary Les Paul. I think this is what's meant by a 'SuperPaul.'

One thing I've always wondered about Pauls like this and the Ace Frehley Les Paul (which may be something of a joke, since Ace's LPs only ever had, so far as I know, two pickups: the neck compartment held smoke bombs). Why still only four pots? Shouldn't it have six. two more for the extra pickup, or at least a way to shut the thing off? And how does the switching work? Is the center pickup always on, or only on in "center" position?

Things to ponder, since I seriously doubt I'm ever going to get one of these things and find out the hard way…
Quote by Flying Couch
Indeed.

That's a very...unique guitar. The Floyd and Explorer headstock are very out of place imo. lol
Mmmmm...nice, Pantrax360!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 30, 2012,