John Mayer
SRV
Jimi Hendrix
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Smashing Pumpkins
Jimmy Eat World
Billy Talent

I've been looking for about all the options, changing pickups, buying new guitar. I decided to buy a new guitar.

I went to the guitar store today to try 3 different guitars.

Fender Telecaster JA-90

Best rock tone I've ever heard, but the blues stuff is not there.

Squier Classic Vibe 60

Loved the blues tone but the rock tone is really not there.

Fender Standard Stratocaster
*I tried the HSS model too.
The basics of this guitar is fine with me, still would need to change pickups later. This is very expensive here and I will definitely not do it myself.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me ?
Hmm. A Les Paul-ish body is what you'll want, due to the abundance of body wood, it'll give you a fatter tone more suited to blues and rock. Try Agile @ www.rondomusic.com , they're surprisingly good for the price.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I would probably suggest a HSS standard strat. Enough beef in the bridge to get heavier tones, such as Greenday. The neck coils will give you that beautiful Mayer tone. I think thats the best option for you. You might need to look into a pup swap in the future though...

edit- also, whats your budget?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Or a Les Paul with P-90's.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar

that would nail the punkish Greenday sound. I guess it would do Mayer ok too. This is also a good option.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar

Theres also a John Lennon Les Paul Signature with the P-90 in the bridge and a strat like pickup in the neck. That'd probably be your best best for versatility, but those were made YEARS ago and I dont think you could find one on Ebay for under $5,000. But I mean, there's the option of the Les Paul Junior aswell.

EDIT: Here it is.

http://www.klik-n-shop.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/Lenon-body.jpg
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Aug 1, 2009,
I was also thinking a semi-hollowbody?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
The semi-hollow... uh...
Cort M900
Schecter C-1 A/E
Gretsch 5122
Scehecter Corsair

All I have for ideas. The Gretsch is actually pretty damn flexible, but the Corsair is most leaned towards rock. The Cort and Schecter have Piezzo's, for the best cleans and Seymour Duncans.

I really like the Gretsch Pro Jet, also very versatile.
They pretty much all use strats, and the humbucker in the bridge would give you a bigger sound anyway, i think its definately the way to go. The pick-ups arent too bad stock anyway, they are certianly fine until you can swap them.
I'm changing guitar right now because I hate the mahogany body of my Godin, I sure won't go with a Les Paul.

I think it will be a HSS Stratocaster. But DAMN that Telecaster sounds good for rock... Maybe next year then as a second guitar...

Now I just need to find if maple or rosewood, and the right color.
Quote by TinyJimbo
I'm changing guitar right now because I hate the mahogany body of my Godin, I sure won't go with a Les Paul.

I think it will be a HSS Stratocaster. But DAMN that Telecaster sounds good for rock... Maybe next year then as a second guitar...

Now I just need to find if maple or rosewood, and the right color.

First of all i will say that i love my tele, and that would be a good choice. But i will say that i doubt its the mahogany body of your guitar that is effecting your tone. Your guitar is probally fine. I would look into a new amp.
I chose the amp at the store with a Standard Stratocaster, and I got the sound I want from it.
hey dude either a les paul junior or a sg junior make sure both have p90's and there is also an epiphone lp gold top reissue with two p90's that would be gr8 u could also buy a sg with p90's please tell me your budget so i can help out more.
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Surprised no one has said this...

I don't think there is ANY single guitar that will work great for ALL genres listed.

Best bet would probably be to get 2 guitars. A Strat AND a Les Paul.
You should then have it all covered.

You would probably need to add an Ibanez for Metal (even though you didn't list that genre).

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
I feel like you could pass with a fat strat... Maybe a PRS?
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by TinyJimbo
I chose the amp at the store with a Standard Stratocaster, and I got the sound I want from it.

Then it sounds like the choice is made then... So go buy the fat strat!
Quote by jonmo1
Surprised no one has said this...

I don't think there is ANY single guitar that will work great for ALL genres listed.

Best bet would probably be to get 2 guitars. A Strat AND a Les Paul.
You should then have it all covered.

You would probably need to add an Ibanez for Metal (even though you didn't list that genre).

^Actually the Fat Strat is perfect for him since most of the artists/bands listed on his list mainly use Strats of some sorts. If anything he could swap out the humbucker for a higher quality one with a bit more output. Other than that the Fat Strat fits his needs.
If you want a brighter wood like alder and these combinations of sounds you'll need a humbucker or p90 and a single coil. Or you would need humbuckers that could be coil tapped. Schecter makes a Tele style guitar called the PT Fastback that has coil tapped humbuckers but they are some cheap Duncan Designed pups. A fat strat seems like the most obvious choice but you dont seem to want that. Korina would also be a good wood. Maybe look at some of the korina epiphones but I think they all have humbuckers only. If price wasn't an issue I'd say look at the PRS McCarty Korina, just a freakin awesome guitar with humbuckers and coil taps.
I can't believe anyone suggested anything other than some type of strat or single coil guitar. At least 5 or even 6 of those artists use strats almost exclusively. Either get an SSS strat with some hotter in the bridge or go for HSS.

Great choice on amp by the way, I play some similar stuff and it really shines, especially for Mayer.
It's difficult to get SRV/Hendrix and Frusciante tones without a Strat. I would highly recommend the HSS Strat.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.