Recently my drummer has moved out of his old house, We used to jam in his room. The room had no type of sound proofing at all and he lived a fair distance from his neighbor (1km+). We now want to all jam in a spare shed I have in my backyard. I have done some searching on the internet and nothing has really gave me much advice, So I am asking you guys for some help

(Invalid img)

My shed is kind of like this, Different color, larger, Not such a large door. When we do play in there how much of the sound would be absorbed by the tin?

We have a lounge in there already and on another forum a guy said that the lounge would absorb a load of the sound and not reflect it, Is this true? I don't entirely believe it is tbh.

I've been told Egg Cartons can help sound proof a room. I work at a McDonalds and I can get my hands on hundreds of Eggshell Cartons, I am keen to get them and just Blue-Tac them or glue them to the walls, roof etc etc.. Will this get rid of the majority of the sound?

There is a window in there and it is like an olden day style window, It doesn't shut it is like always opened. I would have to remove this and put a black of wood there right? Is there any other options?

What other materials can help soundproof the room, Roughly Cheap or Free materials.
play songs that don't make your ears bleed?
My Gear:

I finally got my guitar and amp!:

MIM Fender Candy Apple Red Stratocaster
Vox VT30
30 Year Old Hofner 12-String Acoustic (i got this for free!)
Serious replies please, If I wanted jokes I would of posted in the pit.
Dude.... serious..... you're in over your head on that one.

First of all, a shed is a metal box. You know how noisy a dumpster (or I think they call them skips in the UK) is? The shed is the same, only clangier. :eek

Half of your clangy dumpster is made up of either an insanely leaky door or window. I guess the good news there is that they will help the building to resonate a little less by itself.

Egg cartons don't do squat for soundproofing. They'll help control reflections, but that really isn't your issue.

That lounge you speak of - if it has a couch or some other dense, massive furniture - will absorb some of the sound, but not *near* enough to make your neighbours happy.

Soundproofing is *expensive* and needs to be done right - not half-@ssed.

To soundproof that shed would be just as costly and probably more expensive than to just tear it down and re-build it.

In short, you need a barrier between your sound source and the outside that goes something like this:

mass >> insulation (which can simply be air space) >> mass.

The more massive and dense the inner and outer layers are, the better, and the more absorbent the inner layer is, the better. This is why egg cartons are useless. They are neither massive, nor dense.

Now, consider this.... you know that telephone experiment with a tin can at one end, a string, and a tin can at the other? From that, you learn that sound can travel along a solid object, right? Remember that?

Well, that means that you have to be *really* careful about how you separate the inner and outer layers of mass.

What do you think of this:

heavy drywall >> pink insulation >> heavy drywall

Good? Nope. At least probably not. That pink insulation is probably between studs that the inner and outer drywall sheets are nailed to, right?

Problem: Sound hits the first drywall surface, travels through the wooden stud that is touching it and passes through to the outer drywall surface and escapes!!

Those two mass layers need to be *completely* separated!

Now consider this: If air can get out, so can sound. Conversely, if air can't get out, then air can't get in. See a problem with no air getting in? :eek There's another expensive and challenging step towards soundproofing - air exchange without sound exchange.

There's one and only one forum of any value on the web about soundproofing. It's run by a guy named John Sayers who designs and has designed pro studios into the $100 000+ range. There's also a *very* active member who wrote the bible on home studio construction called "Home Studio Construction - Build it like the Pros." His name is Rod Gervais.

Go to the forum here to learn more http://www.johnlsayers.com/

But seriously..... you could rent rehearsal space for five years for what it would cost you to turn that shed into something halfway usable.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ That.

A shed like that will not absorb any sound. It might reflect the sound in all the wrong ways distorting the sound you hear while you're plaing inside. But it won't do much for your neighbours.

You might be better off just playing outside cause at least then you will hear the sound more cleanly.

That tin shed will require some creative solutions in order to soundproof it and it won't be cheap.

You could spend thousands of dollars on materials and still not get it right. I didn't read the site linked in the post above but the post is solid so I would trust the links to be good too.

Good Luck man.
Si
Dude.. that shed would act as a massive amplifier. Playing that thing would be TERRIBLE idea.

Thanks for that link, darren, BTW.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Yeah, I am still going to try to decrease the amount of sound though.
How?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
the cheapest thing to do is get a bunch of mattresses, and line the walls and ceiling with them
Reverb can be a good thing. But you want the right kind of reverb.

The reflection from all the flat tin walls is reverberation all right but in my post at least I avoided using the word because we often associate reverb with being a good thing. Reverb is the difference between a terrible sounding room, a good room, and a great room.

Uncontrolled reverb from a poor room can destroy any integrity in your sound making it muddy and loud with absolutely no definition or clarity the drums guitar bass everything just bounces around together in a big awful noise. A well treated room on the other hand that provides a deliberate controlled reverb will provide warmth and depth to your sound while maintaining clarity and integrity, and is very desirable.

A whole band in there at once will sound bad.

A single guitar with an amp and some well placed mics could sound interesting in a good mix but even then you are likely to need some treatment and you'll still be waking the neighbours.
Si