i have a crate v33 head and run it into a marshall MG cab. i use the clean channel and run tube screamers into the front end to get overdrive. the EQ is set to 12 oclock on the trbble mids and bass. it sounds terrible and trebly, it hurts your ears even with the volume at 1-2. please help me troubleshoot the issue. i need honest opinions. should i go for the vox or should i get the amp modded? or maybe it's just the cab? im thinking of selling both to start over and buy a vox night train and get a 2x12 cab to go with it.
Last edited by voxAC30TBguy at Aug 1, 2009,
Turn the treble down on the amp, maybe?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Vox are bright amplifiers. And speaking from experience, the night train is also bright and trebly.

EDIT: If I were you, I'd try the head with a different cab and see if that helps. Until you have the chance to do that, turn the treble down a bit or turn down the tone knob on your guitar possibly.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
Last edited by Born A Fool at Aug 1, 2009,
the vox wont be a hurt your ears trebly though right? i hear they have a fat/bright sound not a thin terrible one. but please keep em comming i really need the advice. thank you
Can't really say. I owned the Night Train for 2 days before returning it. Wanted to see if it could be pushed into metal territory but it was too bright for my tastes and the treble became a handful. As for hurting your ears, I don't think it was quite that bad. I would play it first if I were you though. Only your ears can make that decision.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
Roll down the guitars tone knobs? Lower the trebble? Lower the tone control on the TS?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
iv'e tried all that. lowering the tone controls on the guitar makes things sound muffled and lowering the trebble on the amp doesn't really help. btw the amp is too trebly but also has too much bass and seems like it is impossible to EQ it to where i want. i have allways been a fan of vox amps and the way the sound but i think the crate may be way too bright to even be associated with a vox ac30.
Maybe buy an EQ pedal? When I played the V33 i didn't find it that bright....

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I've only had bad experiences with MG cabs in the store. I've used them on occasion with some nice tube heads when I was too lazy to get a real cab, and it always sounds so awful I have to get up and swap it. I've learned to stop doing that by now. Take it to a nearby store and try it through another cab and see if that helps!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
yeah try a different cab. also, try turning down the volume on your guitar a smidge. that should help.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
all your knobs on your guitar are cranked, and your amps tone stack is all set at noon?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Try moving the knobs on the amp once in a while?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
what guitar are you playing?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Have you tried using the dirty channel without the tubescreamer and see what kinda tone you get? The MG cab isnt helping at all. Sometimes you gotta mess with your EQ a while to get the tone you want. Dropping the guitar volume a little might help as treble is the first thing to get cut unless your guitar has a treble bleed bypass.