Our local shop just got 6 of these in last week. I played one and it seems to have everything I want - a wide, slightly thicker-than-average neck, single-coils, extremely lightweight body, and a unique look. I was wondering if anyone here had played one extensively, though, and had any insight into how versatile it really is. I intend to play indie, classic rock, and old-school metal (like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, etc.) with it.
If you play old school metal, you might wanna swap the bridge pickup for a Cruiser or a Hot Rails or a JB Jr.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I didn't really like it, but thats just me....

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I'm a fan, personally. I think it would suit those genres just fine, even the old school metal. I mean, why not? I've played plenty of metal (ish) on my stock tele, and if you have the right touch it come out sounding very unique and overall listenable. Danos rock, if you've played it and you like the sound/feel, then by all means go for it. They're not exactly expensive, either.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by STABxYOU
If you play old school metal, you might wanna swap the bridge pickup for a Cruiser or a Hot Rails or a JB Jr.

That would probably be the least played genre of the 3 that I mentioned, but that might not be a bad idea. Iron Maiden uses single-coils, though, right? Could these pull off a similar sound?

Please forgive my ignorance regarding these things, I don't know much about gear at all.
^ If you're a good player, it will sound fine. Don't ruin an awesome guitar's mojo by swapping up a lipstick tube for a stacked bucker. That just ruins the whole vibe.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I'm a fan, personally. I think it would suit those genres just fine, even the old school metal. I mean, why not? I've played plenty of metal (ish) on my stock tele, and if you have the right touch it come out sounding very unique and overall listenable. Danos rock, if you've played it and you like the sound/feel, then by all means go for it. They're not exactly expensive, either.

Awesome, glad to hear that it could work...I'm almost certainly going to get it, because I can trade in my old Epiphone Explorer, plus my teacher (who works there) said he could cut me a good deal. Just wanted to hear from other people who had played one first, haha.

EDIT:

^ If you're a good player, it will sound fine. Don't ruin an awesome guitar's mojo by swapping up a lipstick tube for a stacked bucker. That just ruins the whole vibe.

After reading your first post I decided that I probably wouldn't anyway.
Last edited by dysonsphere at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by dysonsphere
That would probably be the least played genre of the 3 that I mentioned, but that might not be a bad idea. Iron Maiden uses single-coils, though, right? Could these pull off a similar sound?

Please forgive my ignorance regarding these things, I don't know much about gear at all.

Maiden uses HSS Fenders iirc. Or HSH. I'm not too sure.
^ I believe adrian uses a dimarzio x2n in the bridge, janck uses a jb jr, and dave uses duncan hotrails.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ