Poll: What would you think if metal went mainstream?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you think if metal went mainstream?
It'd screw it all up
167 40%
Much needed change
103 24%
Don't like metal anyway
126 30%
I'd join the new 'subculture' that popped up
25 6%
Voters: 421.
Page 1 of 6
Supposing it didn't get full of pop ***s, would you be pissed off that it wasn't a minority group anymore? Or would you be glad that more people were getting involved in it? real metal, not distorted guitar pop stuff, like a whole legion of maiden and slayer fans that listen to the music coz they like it, not coz it's cool, and dont care what you like and dont like as long as you don't stop them doing their stuff or put down them and their music.
metal is by no means a minority group, and metal heads need to stop thinking this. have you ever seen ozzfest? its a HUGE culture.

EDIT: ^
i would enjoy it. more people would probably respect it but i know some elitists that would probably hate that. i know some btbam fans who have grown a small dislike for them due to the fact that they gained a lot more fans from alaska and colors.

EDIT: i am replying to this as if he means on the radio, FM style during the day time.
That depends on the quality of the music.

I wouldn't find modern pop and hip hop so bad if it didn't take the musicianship of a two year old to write and perform.

I already don't like mainstream metal, because it's the exact same way.

I listen to my metal because I appreciate the amount of skill it takes to actually write and play live some of the mind blowing stuff that they write. Too bad that'll never happen. So if the whole of metal culture became mainstream, I wouldn't mind it at all. I listen to my music because I like it.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
*sigh*

honestly, i wouldn't give a **** either way. who cares if it's mainstream or not? if it's good, it's good.
I still wouldn't associate with them regularly.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
hope this never happen, I would probably stick to my dad jazz vynils if that ever happened.
Quote by assparade69
*sigh*

honestly, i wouldn't give a **** either way. who cares if it's mainstream or not? if it's good, it's good.

talking more about the people than the actual music though
i would be so happy to finnally not get wierd looks when i list out the bands that i listen to
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
I'd hate everyone wearing band shirts all the time with ugly long, greasy hair shouting their favourite band at the top of their lungs.

On the plus side there'd be more new metal bands coming out. But I like pop music too so I really don't care.
I don't like metal. Except rap metal.
*flameshield*
EDIT: I also love hair metal.
Last edited by GuitarGod_92 at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by Early Cuyler
wait... 80s again?

no thanks.

metal sucks.

Are you a troll?

If you aren't, than that was one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard in my entire life.

GTFO
*A list of all my gear*

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Quote by ConeShred
That depends on the quality of the music.

I wouldn't find modern pop and hip hop so bad if it didn't take the musicianship of a two year old to write and perform.

I already don't like mainstream metal, because it's the exact same way.

I listen to my metal because I appreciate the amount of skill it takes to actually write and play live some of the mind blowing stuff that they write. Too bad that'll never happen. So if the whole of metal culture became mainstream, I wouldn't mind it at all. I listen to my music because I like it.

Are you saying you judge music on how hard it is to play? Because if so metal is pretty low on the list of challenging music.
What the hell is "metal culture" anyway?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
i would kill myself...

its sSO shiiTTY

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by charliezard!
^
One of the most obvious and apparent cultures there is.

Listening to metal counts as being in the "metal culture?"
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by leeb rocks
Are you saying you judge music on how hard it is to play? Because if so metal is pretty low on the list of challenging music.

No. Some metal takes a good degree of skill to play, but no. I just don't like how most mainstream music takes no talent, yet people eat it up in flocks.

I appreciate music from a variety of different genres. Just because metal is my main genre of music, doesn't mean I don't listen to other styles.
*A list of all my gear*

I like a lot of the prog and symphonic metal, but mainstream metal is just as blah as any other mainstream music.

Quote by ConeShred
No. Some metal takes a good degree of skill to play, but no. I just don't like how most mainstream music takes no talent, yet people eat it up in flocks.

I appreciate music from a variety of different genres. Just because metal is my main genre of music, doesn't mean I don't listen to other styles.

Although I, too, like music that is technical and challenging to perform, the vast majority of metal can be played with 2-3 years of experience. It really isn't that hard.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 1, 2009,
metal is far from a minority group. its pretty damn mainstream. and i hate it.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by StringAssassin
Them or Mastodon.

I don't listen to Mastodon all that much, but you agreed with me so...
I'm going to switch to listening to only swing music, so that I can be k00l amidst you unk00l mainstreamers.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by GuitarGod_92
These guys are the future of metal. I hope...
Dear god please no.
kill all humans
Quote by batman187
Preferably Mastodon.

I prefer Black Tide, because they have a hair metal vibe to them. Plus they have the hair to match.
I dislike a fair amount of metal. I also like a fair amount, so its a definite hit or miss.
arse munchers. Like Trivium but worse.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Dear god please no.

Why not? They are amazing. Plus the frontman is like 16 or 17 and can play the guitar better than a lot of other famous musicians.
Metal has at least 8 sub-genres. I dislike it, but it is NOT the mainstream here on the Gulf. People need 2 take into context things such as regional marketing!
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by loinmute
Metal has at least 80 sub-genres. I dislike it, but it is NOT the mainstream here on the Gulf. People need 2 take into context things such as regional marketing!

Fixed.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by ep1kz
metal is far from a minority group. its pretty damn mainstream. and i hate it.

so that's why whenever people are talking about music 9 out of 10 times I'll get told that metal is just screaming and just have to go and find the other 10 metal fans in my year of 200 to talk to. It draws enough funny looks and extreme stereotypes to be considered a minority.
Quote by loinmute
Metal has at least 8 sub-genres. I dislike it, but it is NOT the mainstream here on the Gulf. People need 2 take into context things such as regional marketing!

as far as i know its not the mainstream anywhere, i dont know why some people are acting as if it is.
And on top of the 80 sub genres, there's like 800 "Core" genres which should be a metal sub-genre but isn't because of incredibly minor reasons.
Opeth and similar bands are the future of metals
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY