Ive owned an Ibanez Iceman ic-400 model for a couple of years now, but ive never gotten it taken in for tune-ups. Now i have problems sweep picking because the strings are kinda high off the fretboard, and its in tune when i strum open and off tune when i press down anywhere on the fretboard. I have no knowledge about guitar fixing and such, but if i were to go to a repair shop what should i tell them to do to the guitar?

What is it called when the guitar is tuned in open but off tune when you press down the string and what is it called when the strings a far off the fretboard? I want to know so that i can accurately tell the guitar repairman what is wrong and not have to be like "uhhh what does that mean?"
yeah check out my 10 watt amp... connected to an mt-2 metal zone pedal and an ibanez iceman..... thats the rig of fantasies right there
u want ur action lowered (string height) and ur intonation fixed
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
You have a high action (strings are high off the fretboard) and the Intonation is off (slightly out of tune when you fret).

edit: Damn, beaten by wicket_nirvava. Well done.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Tell him to set your intonation

edit: Oops just seen your replies! (....all at the same time!!
)
Er, "Strings above the fretboard" is called the "Action" I believe.
Also, I think you're talking about the intonation?

Hell if I know, I just saw this on the home page and it's late.
But i'm going to sleep now, so good luck.

Edit: Wow lots of replies, nevermind what I said, I suppose I was right.
get a tech to explain whats wrong with it then you will get a better understanding of your guitar
Quote by StankMcGarnagle
Did you guys ever get lucky and have someone die the day before or of your gig and get to promote yourselves with it? Sweet huh?

you need help.

FRANTIC MASTURBATION
If you're going to take it to a tech, any decent one should be able to tell whats wrong with it. Make sure you give information like how low you want your action etc.
If you feel daring and want to read, read, read, this forum and other sites and youtube all have tutorials and videos explaining on how to fix these things. You only need a screwdriver, allen key, a tuner and some time. If you feel confident tinkering with stuff, go for it. It'll save you money the next time you need a guitar setup or you can change your buddies half what the normal shops in your area charge and fix theirs.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Yeah, you can't really permanently damage anything while attempting to do a setup (unless you go crazy with the trussrod) so you might want to try your hand at it yourself.

If you're going to be taking it in anyways, the tech can always fix it no matter how bad you screw it up. Also, a setup's a setup. They won't charge you any more for a really bad setup than they would for one that's close to begin with.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
just tell him to setup your guitar
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat