Why does my amp sound like ass if I have the treble on any more than about 3-4? It's starts to sounds really scratchy and horrible. The same applies to the mids, I can't have them on more than 5-6 because it starts to sound weird. The amp in question is a dual-channel Marshall Jcm 800 combo btw. The tubes should have been changed about a year ago, but I think I've always had this problem.
Grats if you know what ass sounds like. I only know what it sounds like when it farts...but other than that.

I actually have no clue why it would sound that crappy. How old is it?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Why does my amp sound like ass if I have the treble on any more than about 3-4? It's starts to sounds really scratchy and horrible. The same applies to the mids, I can't have them on more than 5-6 because it starts to sound weird. The amp in question is a dual-channel Marshall Jcm 800 combo btw. The tubes should have been changed about a year ago, but I think I've always had this problem.

Post clips?

I have never listened to ass before so I have nothing to relate to.
Maybe its a biasing problem.
Or maybe its got to do with voltages in your home, Tube amps are more sensitive to voltage changes as they are designed to work at a spefific voltages
Guitars:
Fame Forum 3
Aria STG-004
Ashton Acoustic

Amps:
Bugera V22
Drive CD-10

Effects:
Boss ME-50

Quote by Kanthras
2/10

No fire extinguisher reference, unoriginal, no Militia flamebait, disappointing.

Bugera Users Militia
Last.fm
Quote by Kozlic
Grats if you know what ass sounds like. I only know what it sounds like when it farts...but other than that.

I actually have no clue why it would sound that crappy. How old is it?

From the early 90s, 93 or something.
Maybe a tube-change would help?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Some amps need weird EQ settings. Setting everything at 12 o clock doesn't always work. My Hiwatt's very bassy, so I have the bass on about 3.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Dude I've listened to your soundclips on your profile and it sounds just fine to me (even great). It has that old-school thrash/death metal tone.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by K!nj!
Dude I've listened to your soundclips on your profile and it sounds just fine to me (even great). It has that old-school thrash/death metal tone.

I think the TS is trying to infer that you Sir, enjoy ass.

You're an Assman

Try a tube change.
the scratchy treble thing is generally the way with treble - my laney VC30 has the same issue and i find that a lot of tube marshalls also require you to have the treble cut to avoid harshness. I'm told the VC30 preamp circuit aint a lot different from a JCM800...

what i do with just about every marshall amp is cut the treble to about 3, and boost the mids and bass both to around 6 and that seems to be the "optimum" EQ for the amps.. but that's my opinion.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by K!nj!

None of the clips on my page are recorded with my Jcm 800.
I forgot to mention, that when I have my volume and gain at max, the amp makes an annoying, high pitched squeal which doesn't get removed when even when I use my noise suppressor.

Quote by Blompcube
the scratchy treble thing is generally the way with treble - my laney VC30 has the same issue and i find that a lot of tube marshalls also require you to have the treble cut to avoid harshness. I'm told the VC30 preamp circuit aint a lot different from a JCM800...

what i do with just about every marshall amp is cut the treble to about 3, and boost the mids and bass both to around 6 and that seems to be the "optimum" EQ for the amps.. but that's my opinion.

You're probably right.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Aug 1, 2009,
Tube change / turn the tone on your guitar down a bit or even volume.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
None of the clips on my page are recorded with my Jcm 800.
I forgot to mention, that when I have my volume and gain at max, the amp makes an annoying, high pitched squeal which doesn't get removed when even when I use my noise suppressor.

That'll be an ass-ton of feedback.
But seriously, volume fully maxed? You've got some stones, hope you wear earplugs
JCM800s will sound buzzy, harsh and thin at lower volumes, you can make this a little bit better by removing the bright cap on the preamp volume.
Well, there's a fairly simply solution if you don't like the sound of your amp...

...sell it and get something else.

Seriously, from your profile it sounds like you're trying to do some more modern metal stuff and a JCM800 isn't the ideal amp for that genre. The JCM800 is a very classically-voiced amp that's better suited for classic to modern rock but probably not much Metal. I mean, sure, it can do the tone, but for that amount of cash you could do better.

Look into some more modern-voiced amps (Mesas, Randalls, etc.).

For more advice on finding your specific sound I'd recommend dropping by the "gear for Metal" thread and seeing what they think.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
That'll be an ass-ton of feedback.
But seriously, volume fully maxed? You've got some stones, hope you wear earplugs

Nono, not master volume at max. I meant channel volume at max. This thread is so full of mis-understandings.
I have a vintage 1984 jcm 800 100 watt head. I got all new tubes put in it about 2 weeks ago, and had it rebiased. It sounds great now. It did sound like junk before. So, new tubes make a big difference.
these things we do that others may live