I have been trying to find out what scale(s) and key(s) the song Sanctuary by The Mahavishnu Orchestra is in, to no avail. Before anyone says this, I have searched google and bing. Also if anyone can help me out with the song Hope by the same band, that would be great.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by G-man05 at Aug 1, 2009,
start from open on a string and go up the neck chromatically (1 fret at a time) and see which notes seem to 'fit' with the song. You will then have narrowed it down to 1 or 2 possible root notes. then see if it feels major of minor. Chances are it won't be any other mode.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
start from open on a string and go up the neck chromatically (1 fret at a time) and see which notes seem to 'fit' with the song. You will then have narrowed it down to 1 or 2 possible root notes. then see if it feels major of minor. Chances are it won't be any other mode.

Um... have you heard the song, because I don't think it is a western scale, because I normally do that, but I just can't figure these songs out.
ah - sorry my bad, there are just so may of these threads floating round which are just "what key is smoke on the water in" etc.

I'm not sure conventional western scales are going to work with this, sorry. Your best bet is to whip out your slide and see how close you can get to what their playing. That or take up violin, a lot of this while seeming to fit western tonality seems to be played on non-fretted instruments.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more