Page 1 of 2
I hear alot of great things about this band but could never really find something that suited my taste. Can someone recommend me a song/album to check out and also explain to me what exactly this "drone" thing is? I was just checking out videos on youtube and whatnot and people always say you have to understand drone to understand why people like sunn o)))
The most ambient artist that I can think of that I listen to is Xasthur, which I hear Sunn O))) collaborated with Malefic on "Black One"
What you showed me Cianyx I thought was beautiful, especially in the middle section. I'm downloading that at the moment
Quote by guitarman47
What you showed me Cianyx I thought was beautiful, especially in the middle section. I'm downloading that at the moment

And that's what people think of Sun O)))
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
That Angelic Process song was really cool, I think I just found my new revision music. As for Sunn, lie under a powerline for an hour or so.
Quote by webbtje
That Angelic Process song was really cool, I think I just found my new revision music. As for Sunn, lie under a powerline for an hour or so.

Or next to an old fridge.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Or next to an old fridge.

or underwater, next to a whale

>__>
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Personally, i like to put on anything Drone and do my duties as sleeping, eating, homework etc.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Eating while listening to drone is one of the most boring things I can think of
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

@ Kepulix

If done right, your food will last longer
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by Gakbez
@ Kepulix

If done right, your food will last longer

meh, i'm not really into my food tasting monotonous
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I think Sunn and drone/funeral doom bands in general make for great listening material when you wanna sit back and relax, or work on something, perhaps read a book. The especially heavy or dark stuff, such as Lustmord can add to the awesomeness of whatever youre doing. I used to have surround sound speakers on my 4 bedposts and have drone playing all the time, at low volumes, so when I slept or something itd play in the ambient background.
I listened to one of their albums... it made me want to throw up, like physically O_o
Quote by seljer
I listened to one of their albums... it made me want to throw up, like physically O_o

Ever see em live? Makes you wanna throwup at first cuz of all that rumbling in your stomach
I don't think watching Sun live can be good for your ears
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Flight of the Behemoth > Monoliths & Dimensions > Black One = Altar > White2 > White1 > ØØ Void

If that helps.
Philosophy > Life
Nope...Saw them with Swallow the Sun, in a tiny venue, and the sound that came out was MASSIVE. I mean HUGGEE. It felt great though cuz when they played, after their first song everyone kind of stopped moving and just took it all in, very powerful indeed.
Quote by insideac
Nope...Saw them with Swallow the Sun, in a tiny venue, and the sound that came out was MASSIVE. I mean HUGGEE. It felt great though cuz when they played, after their first song everyone kind of stopped moving and just took it all in, very powerful indeed.

This would be an amazing experience, I'm not even much of a drone doom fan, but I would still enjoy that kind of atmosphere
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
I saw them live last week, and it was the loudest thing i have ever heard, it was like getting beaten up. A Very awesome experience, and i would urge anyone to see them regardless of their views to the recorded stuff.
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Eh, if you're really interested in Sunn, don't approach it the way you would approach a metal band. This is music for drug trips, spacing out into nothing, or nightmare inducement.
"Video is unavailable, on account of computer not being able to handle so much AWESOME."

Seriously. That show is pure genius. Nothing short of pure, unadulterated genius.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
This probably isn't the Sunn thread but oh well. I'm seeing these guys in September. I'm incredibly excited to see them as I never thought I would be able to.

That church video is killer. I hope the concert has a similar atmosphere.

O quick question. I know they use Sunn O))) amps, but are they guitar or bass amps?
Last edited by icaneatcatfood at Aug 2, 2009,
The amps are just called Sunn amps, the second part is just part of the logo. They are bass amps that were developed in the '60s for extra power needed for larger venues.
Just listened to the first half of the Black One.

What you guys have said pretty much sums it up.
Quote by Fiddler
I saw them live last week, and it was the loudest thing i have ever heard, it was like getting beaten up. A Very awesome experience, and i would urge anyone to see them regardless of their views to the recorded stuff.

I'd probably rather shit my pants...
Quote by piratemetalhead
Eh, if you're really interested in Sunn, don't approach it the way you would approach a metal band. This is music for drug trips, spacing out into nothing, or nightmare inducement.

This. If you aren't on drugs, you probably won't like Sunn O)))).
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by MyNameIsLame

I'm not. I do.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MyNameIsLame

Completely wrong. I don't use drugs and I enjoy them every once in a while
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by MyNameIsLame
This. If you aren't on drugs, you probably won't like ******

Totally wrong in every way.

Always.

You do not need drugs to apprectiate music. If you do, you're doing it wrong.
Oracle definately has one of the most powerful vocal performances I've ever heard. My Wall from White1 is my favorite track, the atmosphere is astounding.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Sunn 0))) is a band that kind of needs a certain setting/ state of mind to be enjoyed. They really aren't the type of band that I would listen to during sunshiney walks

They're extremely immersive if you're stoned, but listening to them while falling asleep (stoned or not) is also a pretty messed trip. I was like, half asleep while listening to "Black One", and it was just ridiculously creepy.
Page 1 of 2