None, they're just thicker so the sound doesn't get sloppy when you tune down.
lower tuning = higher gauge
higher tuning = lower gauge

more variance in sounds between brands than gauges
the game
Sound is a bit thicker.
Also it's a bit harder to bend, and a bit better for drop tunings.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Now i have the "DR STRINGS LTR-9 HI-BEAM" 09-42..
And the sound is crap on Standar Tuning..

So i bought D'Addario 10-52..
Will the sound get better in standard and Drop D tuning?
Same sound. People use higher gauge(10-52) so they can drop tune their guitars(Drop C,B,A, etc.) without the strings getting floppy. They end up having about the same tension so there is no real sound difference.
it's all preference really.

(and i prefer to avoid d'addario's)
the game
+1 to what has been said about drop tunings, and the thicker the strings, the thicker the sound, in a general sense. It won't be noticeable between 009s and 010s, but when you get into the medium/heavy gauge realm there's an audible difference, mostly when playing clean.

I also feel that you get less of that annoying pick-against-string "shlick" when playing high-gain with thinner gauges. But that can usually be solved with the right EQing, anyway
Well, 010's are used a lot for standard tunings, and are widely considered the "Standard" size for guitar strings. I mean, I don't know much about Eleos up there, but if he's a beginner we can't get him confused on that... but yeah, thicker strings are usually used more for lower tunings. But also remember, people use really thick strings in higher tunings. Los Lonely Boys' guitarist, and STV uses really thick strings, like 013's, and only tune down a half step. Its all about preference.
I am a Stephenist
despite some of the posts above i found that going up from 9's to 10's on my strat made an AMAZING difference to the sound. the tone is much richer with 10's.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Depends on how the guitar is set up. If a guitar is set up correctly after you change strings, you won't notice a difference in tone when changing between .10 and .09 strings. But then if the guitar is set up properly for .09 strings then you change to .10s without setting the guitar up for .10s, you will notice more of a difference in tone.

Which, incidently, is an important subject: when sticking on higher tension strings, you'll need to re-intonate the guitar's bridge and verly slightly adjust the truss rod tension to properly cope with the higher gauge. With the extra heavy .52 for the low E, this is especially important. If your guitar is for example, a 25.5" scale guitar set up for .09s and you now put on the .52 low E string, you may very well find that if you ever try to tune to E Standard, the neck will start to curve more. Leaving it like that can cause long-term problems. If you're leaving your guitar in drop D constantly then you shouldn't have too much of a problem, but you will need to adjust the neck tension if you ever want to go back to E Standard.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thank you all for your answers!

dr_john I want to believe that and my tone will get better.. Thats the only reason i ordered 10's..

MrFlibble must i make any changes on my grg170dx's bridge?

Last edited by EleosFever at Aug 1, 2009,
[quote="(and i prefer to avoid d'addario's)[/QUOTE"]

How come if you dont mind me askin??

Cuz I've been using daddarios for 6 years and they are the only brand I will stick to..

Tried the rest, hated them....and each performance guarantees my string doesnt break with daddario...i've had bad experience with other brands...hehehe...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
I had 9-46

went to 10-46 the other day

best thing i've ever done they feel so much better
Quote by kennethdave

Cuz I've been using daddarios for 6 years and they are the only brand I will stick to..

Tried the rest, hated them....and each performance guarantees my string doesnt break with daddario...i've had bad experience with other brands...hehehe...

He probably had a bad experience with them. I also tend to stick away from d'addario's. Even though they last a bit longer than the GHS's I use, I still prefer the GHS because they just feel better and sound better in my opinion.

I don't think there will be a difference in sound from .09s to .10s unless the strings are wound differently or like what Flibble said, if the guitar isn't setup for them. Though, I did find my guitar sounded rounder or fuller with .10s rather than .09s.
Quote by kennethdave

the place i go for lessons is also a full-blown guitar store, and the only da's they carry are the coated strings. i gave em a try and they felt weird. normal da's tear up my fingers a lot too. i stick to ernie ball.
the game
^^^ Oh ok, cool cool.....personally I found ernie's a little too bright for my liking...

For absolute warmth, I go for Roto Sound....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"