Just a quick question, folks.

Spotted a MIJ Precision in a shop today, and I'm not sure what model it is. (My knowledge on the Jap models is a bit sketchy...)

60's style logo, vintage (flat polepiece) pup, chrome bridge cover over a 4-saddle bridge, and an odd cherry-ish to red 3-tone 'burst. It's a paint finish I've not seen before, and the hellish crazing and cracking on it really got my attention! It's actually lifted clean off the wood in places.

Now, it's possible that's someones really awful refin (hence the unusual colour), but could it be a 60's RI model? It's a "U" serial no., indicating '94-'95. Any ideas?
http://www.guitarshogun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=69

If it's anything like that, steer clear. I bought one, and not only is the tone bland, it is made of basswood and has stupid amounts of neckdive.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
Quote by fishbass
If it's anything like that, steer clear. I bought one, and not only is the tone bland, it is made of basswood and has stupid amounts of neckdive.

OT: Basswood's tone is neutral not bland. Its a very good and affordable wood if you don't want and overbearing tonewood.
Quote by Spaz91
OT: Basswood's tone is neutral not bland. Its a very good and affordable wood if you don't want and overbearing tonewood.

Completely true, many pro quality instruments are made using basswood such as bongos
Quote by Mr. Saturn
Completely true, many pro quality instruments are made using basswood such as bongos

On basses, besides the Bongo... go on. What else? Low grade basswood sounds bland and good basswood sounds like nothing. Plus no trans finishes. No thanks.

Those links are wrong. Especially the MIA '62 reissue. Really folks. CJ73's talking about the early/mid 90s --->M<---IJ Fenders. Having owned 2 in that era, I must say they're solid if not straightforward instruments that sound great and are reliable. However, from what I understand these were the instruments that MIM took over (even though they were both made until around 1997 I believe). It should have the 'proper' woods 'n all, but I'm going to say it's NOT nitro at all. Neither of mine were and I've never actually heard of or seen an export Japanese Fender that was. Something's up.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^The very ones. From what I could see thro' the canyons in the paint it looked like ash.
Thinking about it, I wondered if perhaps it was a modified/butchered '57 RI. There were a few of those fom the Japanese factory.
There have also been some 'grey imports' from bigger music shops down south - i.e., Jap market only models.
Pity I hadn't thought to take some pics!