Hey guys,

I have a mexican jazz bass, its a decent instrument although obviously it could be alot better, im just trying to think of things that could be upgraded, obviously theres the pickups (does anyone have experience with good bass pickups that they can reccomend?).. also it isnt a through body, would it improve the sound if it was?

also anything else you can think of that would improve a mexican jazz bass?

I play through a 100w fender rumble 1x15 solid state amp, i use fuzz/distortion pedals, i play different music varying from soft ambient music right up too pretty hard rock. I dont really play reggae or slap but may do one day

all advice appriciated . cheers
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Gotah 201 bridge for more sustain, people say get the badass, but honestly this is half the price and cheaper still, it is just as good.

Theres loads of pickup makers out there, go to their websites and read on what they sound like and then see which ones would suit you. Some good ones are nordstrands, delano, bartolini, Seymour Duncun and lindy fralins.
You could also drop a john east preamp in there or an ACG filter preamp in there for more tones.
De-tuner might also be useful.
Also get a new amp, that will help loads.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
what are your main problems with it?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah i think ill look into getting that bridge or something similar.
Also ill probably get one of those hipshot d tuner things, i like the idea of those.
I kinda have my heart set on duncan pickups , all my guitars have them , and so ill probably get some sort of duncan bass lines or watever theyre called.

not too keen on a pre amp.

thanks for your post man

i realise a new amp would help loads , but bass tube amps (or tube amps in general) are ridiculose money, and im poor :P

my main problems with it is just the lack of 'good' tones i can get from it , again i realise thats party the amps fault, but also i just like to upgrade guitars and mess around with things cos its fun and i get bored.

also im joining a band soon and so for gigging i just want the 'best' tones i can get
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
so more range?

I bet if you got a bridge say, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, and a neck position Nordstrand NJ4 or Bartolini single coil, your versatility would increase a lot. a John East preamp would be also quite helpful.

to get a sweet, tight bass sound you don't actually need tube, many bassists, from Jaco to Flea to Entwistle don't play tube.

an Acoustic B200, which can be bought for 350 USD, would suit all your needs.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Thanks for the advice, i think ill definatly be upgrading the pickups when i can.. just wondered can you get humbucking bass pick ups that will fit into the route on a jazz bass?

Cool, i just assumed a tube amp would be the best of the best.

Ive never heard of the brand 'acoustic', looked them up, but i cant find any UK websites that sell them (forgot to mention im in the UK) never seen one in a shop either, are they good then?
oh damn, Acoustic does not ship anything to UK.

Hartke is also good.

no active. got it.

Nordstrand makes a great humbucking single coil. look into it
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Ah shame.

Cheers for the replies man
Ill look into nordstrand.
I fully recommend a hartke amp. I upgraded from a fender rumble 100/115 to a hartke lh500 + 410 cab. Best move i've ever made with gear
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Tube amps for bass, are not the best of the best, their very much dying out in bass playing. SS can do what you need, cheaper lighter and easier. So a SS is more preferable in a way. But if you prefer the sound of tubes then i suppose ou could get a tube amp.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
For more sounds get two really different replacement pickups, like a vintage one at the neck and a high output one at the bridge. Maybe fit a piezo pickup? Or even route another pickup in.
@ skater dan - Cool man, that amp looks pretty decent, but i just cant afford it haha. I need a job :P.

@ fatgoogle - From personal experience with guitar amps, i definatly prefer the sound of tube amps, but obviously a bass isnt the same as a guitar. I would still be lead to believe that a tube amp will some how be 'better' for some reason. I dont like just doing things because its what other people do and im not a fan of people that are like 'this gear is for this style and that gears for that style' (not saying thats you) but i like to be different. I wont be able to afford a tube amp for a long time anyways and so im liking the fact that SS are much cheaper.

@ spaz - yeah man, was thinking of just making it not a jazz bass, i dont know why i bought it anyways to be honest haha. Ideally id like a rickenbacker 4001, but again im poor, and those things are stupid money in the UK, theres space on a jazz bass for another pickup closer to the neck, hmmm.
you could always get a third single coil, wire it so it turns one of the the pickups into a humbucker when you boost it.

and tube on bass is not only pricey, it's really inversatile- as far as ranges of tones go. and you can kiss any glassy clear low mids and bass goodbye.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by FuzzLove
theres space on a jazz bass for another pickup closer to the neck, hmmm.

Try just extending what routing is already there, make the bridge routing big enough for a soapbar or even a MM humbucker.